C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Preventing tire flat spots during winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
The best solution is to drive the car a few times in the winter. It doesn't have to be very often, once every couple weeks will do it. Here in the mountains of West Virginia it gets cold, but I can always get the car out a couple times a month..I never do the storage thing.....WW
its fun driving around in winter with the snow coming down..with the top down.....I just dress like I'm, going skiing...man the looks I get..
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default What type of winter cover do you use?

Originally Posted by CE1
40 PSI, on ground, no problems for 5yr...
I was curious. What type of winter cover do you use? And does it work well preserving the finish of your Corvette. I may be storing a pristine MR2 outside (My C4 gets the garage space) and am evaluating winter storage covers.

Thank you.

John
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just bought one of these:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...available.html
and I'm thinking of getting a small car tent for about $200.00 from Grizzly..they only last about a year but are much cheaper than a car port..at least until I get a house with a garage...
Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
All I do is put about 5 extra pounds of air in mine. Never had a problem with flat spotting and mine is in storage maybe a little longer than yours
Geez, that's 3 of us agreeing with you in a thread - I predict a cooling trend in h3ll soon...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

65psi and mine have been fine
Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I think parking on the soft mats or parking on old tires are the best ideas.
2 bad experiences =
1. Put my car on stands for about 6 months while being worked on. When it came back down on the ground, the springs took weeks to flatten out again. The car looked ridiculously jacked up!
2. While my Son was out in Calif for a year, I let his car sit on cement for 6 or 7 months with new tires pumped to about 40lb. Then, I thought I'd switch tires and run them on my car for a week or so to keep them "exercised". Too late...I thought the windshield was going to vibrate out of my car!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the car cover goes, I used to store the C-3 outside. I covered the car in old blankets first, then a quality car cover, then bungeed tarps down over everything. The three layers allows it to breath, but the tarps keep ALL moisture out. The car was black and even after months of storage, the paint was clean and scuff free. ...and that's in Missouri with ice and snow several times during the winter months.

As far as the tires go, if you use jack stands, you place them under the CONTROL ARMS, not the frame rails. You'll spin the bushings leaving the suspension droop like that for that long. My car sat for a long time while being put together. The tires had good tread when I got it, but I swear they were triangle-shaped. Talk about flat spots! We bought very good tires for it and even sitting for a few weeks in my Dad's garage, they started to flatten out. (of course they were under inflated, though) The 1,300 mile drive to my house straightened them back out. I've had good luck with over inflating tires for the winter, but for what it's worth, I'm getting the car off the ground this winter. I sold my Chevelle so I have an empty spot in the garage for the 'Vette.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack stands.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
DonF
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkazsr
40 psi and jackstands. Works for me. Once the snow falls the Vette is stored even if there is a warming trend. The dirt road makes me use the Blazer.
The easiest fix, plus you can crawl under & check things out when you have nothing to do
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
DonF
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverja
I was curious. What type of winter cover do you use? And does it work well preserving the finish of your Corvette. I may be storing a pristine MR2 outside (My C4 gets the garage space) and am evaluating winter storage covers.

Thank you.

John
I am sooooo glad I left that S***

Quick Reply: Preventing tire flat spots during winter storage