C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
KARR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrylg
You've put a lot of work into these, and they look great! They'll likely appeal to a number of owners, but, for myself, the rotating headlights are one of the cool features of C4s.
I like the pop up headlights.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCD94
I just wanted to throw in with the other rotating/pop up folks. If the design could be incorporated to add in the current C4 rotating housing I would spend the money as soon as it was available. I like the looks of the C4 as it is with the lights hidden. The light available the stock units really stinks though.
FYI, corvetteHID.com sells projector retrofits for flip ups if i remember right. I think they're pretty pricey though.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I started a new poll in the C4 General section. It is titled "C4 Projector headlight polls". The subject is acrylic covers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ght-polls.html
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Alan777
FYI, corvetteHID.com sells projector retrofits for flip ups if i remember right. I think they're pretty pricey though.
$750
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
jeffs40thgtp
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperL98
Just something about the flat light kits I just don’t like … I don’t know

Something like this C5 one … I would buy

I borrowed some forum members silver vette for this :o

where did you get those vents in your hood?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I checked out HID website and was ready to cha-ching the credit card.... to my dissapointment the headlights are nice but THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS STOCK. That is unnaceptable. If you can make these so that is how the lights look when flipped you have a seller. Its a win win situation... those who like them exposed can just leave them flipped. Those who like the stock lids when closed are happy and have better looking lights at night.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

$650 is a lot for HID that looks the same as the original. The projector my design uses have H1 bulbs and are compatible with D1S HID bulbs. I am checking on bulk prices for HID bulbs right now. I should be able to offer HID as an upgrade under $200. I will consider a flip design replacement, but it will be after the fixed position lights come out.
They also won't look exactly like the picture above because they need adjustment points for the lights. As fixed position, they can be adjusted from under the hood. If they are adjusted from the front, they won't look as nice. The cover will need to be removeable for adjustment. Not as difficult to design as my current system, but will still take some time and probably about $5000 in development. Scanning and reverse engineering to make a flawless product gets very expensive. Also prototypes or molds are pretty costly. Knowing how many people want a design to go with the flip lights would help.

Last edited by blr33439; 10-03-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

I would want mine with out the cover but here is a idea for you. Why not design the cover as a stack on over the current design? Sell the headlight kit for X with trim pices and have a cover kit that can be had for Y dollars. Remove the trim rings from the headlights and samich the covers between the headlight mounting tabs and hood. That way the gap from addressing the clearance is addressed and it is all done with a minamal cost and the covers could be sealed with a oring
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
RCD94
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blr33439
Not as difficult to design as my current system, but will still take some time and probably about $5000 in development. Scanning and reverse engineering to make a flawless product gets very expensive. Also prototypes or molds are pretty costly. Knowing how many people want a design to go with the flip lights would help.
If you had added that question to your poll you would have a better idea of what you're looking at. From the looks of the people that have taken the time to reply to your thread here, it begins to appear like the majority would prefer pop ups. Just wondering out loud here, but it sounds like you have a rather sizable investment in R & D. How much research did you do into buyer preference before you went off down the road towards fixed position lighting?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The fixed position design came about because I prefer fixed vs the flip headlights. The consideration for developing a second system for the flip design will be based on the number of people that want it. It looks like there is a market for both. 50 customers wanting a flip design would be good enough to offset the cost and of course the time involved to create another product.

I have also thought about adding a lip inside the headlight cutout and then a small acrylic cover could be added and attached with silicone.

Last edited by blr33439; 10-03-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some ideas I came up with.

color matched cover with hidden attachment

color matched cover with black screws

color matched cover with stainless screws

acrylic cover with hidden attachment

acrylic cover with black screws

acrylic cover with stainless screws

I think the best designs are the color matched cover and the acrylic cover with the hidden attachment. If I do the design as a cover plate, I can use one design for both color matched covers and acrylic covers.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

color matched cover with hidden attachment all the way
Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Based on polls, it looks like everybody is split almost 50/50 on with or without acrylic covers. I started a new poll to determine interest level and determine the demand for a flip design also.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ht-system.html
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on polls, it looks like everybody is split almost 50/50 on with or without acrylic covers. I started a new poll to determine interest level and determine the demand for a flip design also.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ht-system.html
$700 for lights is a lot of money in my book. I would spend $200-$300 max for HIDs. Thats how I feel at least!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I would spend WHATEVER if the flip lights were done. I would love to have a body color light that looks like that at night when I flip them. WHats with people and wanting acrylic covers? Have you no taste? The reflection from covers will ruin the entire headlight. Keep it looking like the c5 in the picture and you have my money.

Worried about bugs and debris? What do you do now when your headlights are flipped? Think about what you are asking before you ask it. There is no need for covers. How many stone chips do you have on the headlight lids? Not many because most debris will go over it anyways.

Last edited by 5abivt; 10-03-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
shbbykins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats where my money is

koolness of flips for the kiddo in me with functionality and practical lighting and weight drop on the headlight motors equaling less strain and longer motor life.

its that or the fiat mod.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shbbykins

thats where my money is

koolness of flips for the kiddo in me with functionality and practical lighting and weight drop on the headlight motors equaling less strain and longer motor life.

its that or the fiat mod.
I would be all over this as well. I know it would be very difficult to find a way to make them smaller and flip though. I would not have any problem at all spending 500-700 on that.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Not so much difficult, but expensive. The hardest part would be designing the adjustment for the lights. The system in the picture is fixed position so it is adjusted from the bottom. I like smooth lines and I'm sure you do also, so that is the hard part. Another option is to make a cover design with minimal visible attachments. The last difficulty is the minimum size of lights available. To maintain the smooth cover when closed, the lights will stick up further than the lights in the picture, unless the flip design were made much more complicated. I can work with the engineering company that helped with the current design, but I need to make enough to cover the additional $5k the new design will cost.

The fiat mod involves cutting and reshaping the hood. That means a new paint job. I think they look cool, but that is a lot of expense.

Last edited by blr33439; 10-04-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I like smooth lines

To maintain the smooth cover when closed, the lights will stick up further than the lights in the picture
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM
shbbykins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not so much difficult, but expensive. The hardest part would be designing the adjustment for the lights. The system in the picture is fixed position so it is adjusted from the bottom. I like smooth lines and I'm sure you do also, so that is the hard part. Another option is to make a cover design with minimal visible attachments. The last difficulty is the minimum size of lights available. To maintain the smooth cover when closed, the lights will stick up further than the lights in the picture, unless the flip design were made much more complicated. I can work with the engineering company that helped with the current design, but I need to make enough to cover the additional $5k the new design will cost.

The fiat mod involves cutting and reshaping the hood. That means a new paint job. I think they look cool, but that is a lot of expense.
I completely get what your saying. Parts would have to be small enough to fit under the cover to keep the "lowpro" appearance. Anything smaller than the stock size as fat as height is fine with me personally.

As far as the fiat mod it is a bit "involved" but that's part of the fun

Quick Reply: C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System