C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 AM
cobralee
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Shock Absorbers

On my '95, I'm getting a message to "Service Ride Control". I have 66,000 miles on it. Is this telling me to replace the shocks or is there other servicing necessary.

If I need to replace the shocks, what are some of you guys using to replace them for a reasonable price? Can I replace them with a good gas shock without the electronic controls?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is telling you to read the code(s) stored. You don't need a scanner and the procedure is spelled out in section 3G of the FSM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or... if you don't have an FSM, just follow these instructions to read the code. Advance Auto will also read it for free if you go there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Part 2: the code will tell you which corner of the car is having an issue. It's usually only 1 if the light just came on. It's one of 2 things, the actuator or the shock. Shocks run about $200 each, or can be rebuilt by Bilstein for around 75% of that. Actuator can also be rebuilt or purchased- around $100 mark.

You can eliminate the entire system and use regular shocks. The light will always stay on unless you remove the bulb. Unless you're going for coilovers, I would think resale would be effected without the adjustable system.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 AM
cobralee
Cruising

Default Shock Absorbers

Originally Posted by socalman
Part 2: the code will tell you which corner of the car is having an issue. It's usually only 1 if the light just came on. It's one of 2 things, the actuator or the shock. Shocks run about $200 each, or can be rebuilt by Bilstein for around 75% of that. Actuator can also be rebuilt or purchased- around $100 mark.

You can eliminate the entire system and use regular shocks. The light will always stay on unless you remove the bulb. Unless you're going for coilovers, I would think resale would be effected without the adjustable system.
Thank you guys for your input...it's appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 AM
cobralee
Cruising

Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To "Shock Absorbers

Quick Reply: "Shock Absorbers