Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 No-Start Issue May be Solved with Remote Starter Relay!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1990 No-Start Issue May be Solved with Remote Starter Relay!

Well, after 4 years of several fixes to my 1990 Vert for No-Start Issues, I am hoping that this is the last. So Far, So Good! I haven't had any issues since adding this Painless 25 Amp Remote Starter Relay. I installed it on the Firewall on the Driver's Side. We cut the Large Purple Wire in the Wiring Harness and spliced the Large Purple Wire from the Remote Relay onto the side that goes to the Starter and the Small Purple wire from the Relay that goes to the Battery. Then we spliced the Red wire from the Relay to the Battery Wire at the Alternator and the Black Ground Wire from the Relay onto a nut near the Intake Manifold.

Name:  CorvetteStarterRelay9A-1.jpg
Views: 15564
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  CorvetteStarterRelay8.jpg
Views: 9086
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  CorvetteStarterRelay5.jpg
Views: 10150
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone
It would only Not Start after it was warmed up. There was never a problem with the initial start of the day, only after driving for a little while. Then I would have to wait an hour or two before it would start back again. I have driven it several times since adding the Remote Starter Relay a few weeks ago, and so far - No Issue. And it would have happened by now.

I was told by several people that the Starter Solenoid was probably getting hot. I had the starter rebuilt, but was still having problems. It looks like this may be the solution. I know that several people on the Forum were having this same issue, so I took pics and described the install - after waiting a few weeks to make sure that it worked.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:02 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by trulytex
I was told by several people that the Starter Solenoid was probably getting hot. .
OK , I fully understand what you have done but don't see that it has changed anything except to add a different power source for the solenoid.Maybe you had excessive voltage drop in the original ( purple ) starter wiring?
On cars with heat related starting problems it is usual to mount a remote solenoid on the power cable direct to starter bypassing the contacts in the solenoid which you are still using
Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

This fix is mainly for a No Start issue that is due to a Heat Soaked Starter. Sometimes this issue can be mistakenly diagnosed as a VATS Issue, as was in my case. I performed every VATS fix known to Man. I hope that this is the end of my No Start Problems...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone
Still no problems..... By now it would have stranded me a few times.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you replace the purple wire or just toss an extra relay in the mix? if you did replace the purple wire i would bet that was the issue.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pr0zac
did you replace the purple wire or just toss an extra relay in the mix? if you did replace the purple wire i would bet that was the issue.
I did not replace the Purple wire. I spliced the relay into the Purple wire.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

So Far, So Good! Still no starting problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This fix is mainly for a No Start issue that is due to a Heat Soaked Starter. Sometimes this issue can be mistakenly diagnosed as a VATS Issue, as was in my case. I performed every VATS fix known to Man. I hope that this is the end of my No Start Problems...
This may sound dumb ... But why not just change the starter to fix the problem? I can leave mine idling with the a/c on in 100 degree heat and it will crank right over every time.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
This may sound dumb ... But why not just change the starter to fix the problem? I can leave mine idling with the a/c on in 100 degree heat and it will crank right over every time.
I had the starter rebuilt - twice - and inspected and the prognosis was that the starter was fine.

After 6 months and Hundreds of outings, I have not had 1 failure.

I had someone e-mail me about this today so I thought that I would report my progress.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I had the same problem w/ my '90. It would start when cold, but not when warmed up. Turned out to be that the temp sensor was bad and was reading the temp as -32 degrees on a 70 degree day, there fore was flooding the engine. New temp sensor fixed it.

Randy
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by pr0zac
Yeah, the relay didn't cure anything. Bypassing part of the start-up wiring/circuit must have. Must have had an intermittent connection/wire. Could have been the purple wire or clutch relay or transmission contacts, etc...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Yeah, the relay didn't cure anything. Bypassing part of the start-up wiring/circuit must have. Must have had an intermittent connection/wire. Could have been the purple wire or clutch relay or transmission contacts, etc...
No Clutch Relay..... Automatic

I'm just saying that.....
Before Relay........ Hot Start Problem
After Relay.......... No More Hot Start Problem

They must make these things for some reason. From what I understand, it sends more power to the starter.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

No Clutch Relay..... Automatic

I'm just saying that.....
Before Relay........ Hot Start Problem
After Relay.......... No More Hot Start Problem

They must make these things for some reason. From what I understand, it sends more power to the starter.
Didn't notice if you had a stick or auto. That's why I said clutch relay or (auto) transmission contact(s).

The relay is necessary to avoid routing high-amperage power thru the gear selector or clutch pedal. Said routing is present to insure the starter is not engaged with the car in gear. (This could cause you to run into/over something.)

The starter relay does not send more power to the starter -- indirectly or directly. Relays are used when you want/need to use a lower-powered switch for the amperage of any given circuit. You bypassed your existing relay/wiring with what you did. It shows the starter wasn't the problem, the circuit was. Either bad wire, relay or gear contacts. Now that I think about it, it was probably the contacts in your gear selector -- if you bypassed those in the process.

Will the starter engage with the car in gear? If so, you're asking for trouble.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

I will test it today. I never tried starting it in gear.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

this is a really neat old school trick from back when, we used to use ford starter solonoids and mount them on the fire wall away from engine heat on chevys that had 'heat soak' problems. It works good and makes the chevy starter last longer. also works on other things. excellent job

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 No-Start Issue May be Solved with Remote Starter Relay!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

moroso starter heat shield for small blocks always worked for me. keeps the starter solenoid cooler. The shield has two pieces of aluminum with an insulation layer of some high temp tape between them. Always cured issues due to header proximity. I would buy a new solenoid and get or make a heat shield for the starter.

example here
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

You should never have hot soak conditions with the factory mini-starter. Mine will crank my 90 over in hot summer heat after the a/c has been on blizzard.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont start it in gear with the clutch let out, may find your starter hanging by its cable with a piece of block on the ground.

Quick Reply: 1990 No-Start Issue May be Solved with Remote Starter Relay!