These people aren't helping us....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 AM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default These people aren't helping us....

keep the values up on the C4's. I don't want to 'beat a dead horse' but c'mon... the later C4's should not be this low. Looks to be a great deal nonetheless for these C4's w/ decent miles.

Your thoughts?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2073951458.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2073670559.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2073584238.html

Last edited by I’m Z one; 11-23-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Not much we can do except not buy them, but it's hard to resist these low prices.

The argument goes that, why should we spend so much on a 4th gen when we can have a 5th gen for the same or less?

I won't sell either of my C4's, so I don't have to worry about the low prices I would get.

Somebody out there will get a bargain on a good car and nothing wrong with that as it may bringa new person into the hobby.

As for the rest of us, why would we care about prices when most of love our cars so much we couldn't part with them anyway?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 AM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

#1 Nothing bad about the city of Hamtramck but I'd be leery of buying a car down there.
#2 Times are really bad in Detroit. I've see many people selling their "toys" for cut rate prices. It comes down to "sell them to make your house payments or live in a cardboard box". I can tell you the horror stories I seen and heard. The rest of the country has been in a recession for 3 years. Michigan has been in a depression for almost 8 years.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Not much we can do except not buy them, but it's hard to resist these low prices.

The argument goes that, why should we spend so much on a 4th gen when we can have a 5th gen for the same or less?

I won't sell either of my C4's, so I don't have to worry about the low prices I would get.

Somebody out there will get a bargain on a good car and nothing wrong with that as it may bringa new person into the hobby.

As for the rest of us, why would we care about prices when most of love our cars so much we couldn't part with them anyway?

It took me 2 years to find this car in the condition i wanted and low mileage, so i have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don't have to worry about value. My car has none. There is not one single original piece on the car. I'm not even sure what year the shell is, but it has a 1990 vin tag and 1990 parts seem to fit that part of the car. I'm stuck with my car until dooms day. Overall it's in good shape and everything works, so I don't mind. If prices get low enough, I may just get another one.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Those prices would have to come down a bit more before they'd sell out west. We have a bad economy, and I'm afraid a historic (and probably permenant) shift in demand.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorCity_87_C4
#2 Times are really bad in Detroit. I've see many people selling their "toys" for cut rate prices. It comes down to "sell them to make your house payments or live in a cardboard box". I can tell you the horror stories I seen and heard. The rest of the country has been in a recession for 3 years. Michigan has been in a depression for almost 8 years.
Except the whole damn country is in a depression....just nobody wants to admit it. Have you seen ANYTHING get better in the last 3 years?

Corvettes of any age are toys for those with excess income. When that income dries up, the owners sell them. When a large number of people lose their discretionary income, there are suddenly a large number of Corvettes on the market, and the price drops.

The truth of the matter is, in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor issue. Even as "bad" as things are right now, Americans live better than 90% of the rest of the planet. Most folks around the globe wish their biggest concern was falling Corvette values.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

If you want to sell something you have to price it accordingly or it will continue to take up space. These sellers want it to move.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader One
I don't want to 'beat a dead horse' but c'mon...
That's like saying "No offense" and then insulting somebody.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice prices, if one was a vert I'd prolly have to consider building another garage space.

In response to the OP's post. If you dont like the prices dont sell. Its a buyers market and having been in the market for a DD for the SO I think most of the used auto market is over priced. I just dont understand it.
Crappy '02 Sebring verts around here are going for $4500 round here. went to look at one a few weeks ago and it had some issues that I could take care of but the owner was firm. I just asked myself WTF?!?! Blue book is a grand less and you wont move?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus these things won't be seeing a lot of driving in Detroit. Something people have to realize about the C4 market is that the later C4s are still falling in value while the early C4s have fallen about all they can. Although later C4s might always be worth more because of having more HP, bigger stock wheels, no black side molding, etc.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
That's like saying "No offense" and then insulting somebody.

In you're in this to make money or in most cases just break even, find a more desirable car to own like a Shelby or a C2. If you're in this to enjoy the car, what difference does it make?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things are tough all over right now and what was once an investment worth much more money, just like all the other investments, are down in price and worth much less. Look at the housing market where prices are down over 50%. There is nothing we can do but help these guys out and buy their cars asap.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

They're just cars. Just because it had a sales price of 30K doesn't make it worth 20 or even 15 now.

The market is low for any hobby sportscar. Maybe the prices were inflated due to a booming economy for several years when people used up all their credit for things they couldn't afford in the first place.

heck my STS sold for 36K in 19999. The value now is about 7K or so and it looks close to the day it rolled off the line, and has 90K on it.

And it's not just the C4. Has anyone noticed the C5 prices lately. Even Zo6's are selling for less than 15K now.

I personally think many things were over valued for too long myself. But I'm no expert, it's just an opinion and thought.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
BobNJ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toys are taking a beating -- like it was said earlier --- income is good/can afford payments, income dried up --- can not afford the toy payments. I see used C6 Vettes at a Chevy dealership 5 minutes from my house sitting since March/April --- price in the mid/high 30's. I'm different with toys, as --- I was always able to pay cash (thank God) --- no payments to dig in our pockets.

Before buying my 94 this past May --- my toys were Harley's --- owned many from 1978 to this past May. In the heyday --- I would sell my bike for what I paid and then some -- move the money from one model to another every few years like I was playing checkers.

My last bike was a 2003 Road King Classic --- new -- paid $17,XXX.XX off the floor, after tax etc add another 2k. Over the years i put about 2k into the bike, now I'm up to 21k + --- no problem. In May I got -------- 12k ---- that is what the market is -- mine was in prime condition with extra toys, reason why I got 12K on craigslist.

Now --- I'm 100% happy with my new toy --paid $11,400 in NJ, condition to me and others that saw it is practically new condition nothing beat/worn - the car was pampered by past owners. What is it worth now --- I do not care as it's not going anywhere......... to me it's priceless..

Bob
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Except the whole damn country is in a depression....
Exactly worrying about value of anything now is going to be fruitless.
If you have to sell time to suck it up a bit.

Even if the car brought another thou or two is that really worth worrying about?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the frustration of having these cars and the value gets brought down because of hard times by others, but unless you you are willing to make someone's mortgage payment, or hospital bill payment, then you really have no right to complain. I don't know if you have ever been there before, but I have. I am a huge Vette nut. A little piece of me died when I had to get rid of my Z. It isn't something I wanted to do, it was what I had to do. Just count your blessings that you are still able to enjoy yours. I hope to get another one someday.

Get notified of new replies

To These people aren't helping us....

Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Buy cheap sell cheap. The longer you have a car, the more likely you have to invest in repairs and deal with significant depreciation.

To tell you the truth, when I buy a car as a "non-modder", I'll look for lower mileage or some kind of value, keep it clean, do some basic TLC, drive it for a year, and then sell it for close to what your original purchase price was.

You could just keep buying and selling low mileage ones. When those run out, graduate to C5's. Cheapest way to own a vette IMO. You have to keep them stock though.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Those prices sound right for those three Vettes. Heck their a steal! Let's hope the next owner of the 93 anniv will put the wheels on the right sides.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo

Somebody out there will get a bargain on a good car and nothing wrong with that as it may bring a new person into the hobby.

I'm not bored with my C4 at all (I have been looking at C4 verts ). Enjoy the cars for what they are: One of the best "bang for the buck cars out there".

Quick Reply: These people aren't helping us....