C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

URGENT: passenger airbag

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
jeff760
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: passenger airbag

HELP... Unfortunately my 94 is my only vehicle right now. Occasionally I have to pick up my 4 year old from school in it. Is it possible to temporarily disable the passenger side airbag? Maybe by simply pulling the fuse? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

The short answer is no
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,793 Likes on 664 Posts

I'm wondering that myself, as I'd really love to take my almost 3 yr old grandson for a ride with the top off however....his parents (my son and DIL) aren't too thrilled with the idea. I'm not sure about other state's regulations regarding kids in a front seat but I was first told you can't do that in Iowa, then yes you can if the airbag is disabled which to me sounds counter-productive as to the intent of the airbag restraint system in the first place. Any LEO's care to weigh in as to the legality of this? Of course if it's possible the child restraint seat would naturally be in the vette, which would be good because it'd give him the boost he'd need to see out of the windshield and over the door....so he could stick his tongue out at any non-corvette vehicle he sees

astepup said that
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by astepup
I'm wondering that myself, as I'd really love to take my almost 3 yr old grandson for a ride with the top off however....his parents (my son and DIL) aren't too thrilled with the idea. I'm not sure about other state's regulations regarding kids in a front seat but I was first told you can't do that in Iowa, then yes you can if the airbag is disabled which to me sounds counter-productive as to the intent of the airbag restraint system in the first place. Any LEO's care to weigh in as to the legality of this? Of course if it's possible the child restraint seat would naturally be in the vette, which would be good because it'd give him the boost he'd need to see out of the windshield and over the door....so he could stick his tongue out at any non-corvette vehicle he sees

astepup said that
The reason you don't want a child in the front seat of an air bag equipped car, is the speed at which these things deploy.
They have killed small children! Seriously
That is the reason most modern cars have a switch or pressure sensor to disable the passenger air bag.
Air bags were still fairly new in the C4 years, so they are not as sophisticated as they are now.

Even adults have had moderate to serious injuries from air bag deployment. But it still is better than hitting your head on the dash, steering wheel, or windshield.

There used to be a company making a device that would allow you to disable the passenger air bag. But I can't remember any details, and I don't think they produce this anymore.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

according to the book , pulling the fuse is the way to do it, theres a connector, actually two of them, at the base of the steering column also, doesnt say if it will affect anything else

Get notified of new replies

To URGENT: passenger airbag

Quick Reply: URGENT: passenger airbag