Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How come I never see "slammed" C4's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't see much of a point in it unless you want to waste a bunch of money doing it and even more fixing all the stuff that gets broken dragging it's frame across bumps in the road. Vettes are low enough being stock and look cool just the way they were designed. But I guess it makes some happy.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...post1576990028
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
I have coil-overs on the 89 and love them. I don't have that much trouble with scraping I just watch the road we have driven it from LA to BG for The Gathering a couple of times and had no issues. It can still go over an inch lower than pictured here but this is where it performs best.

BTW LT5corsa I love your ZR1!!!!

WOW that looks really great. To me even in stock form with that stance totally changes the look of that car.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Donalds5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha I can barely get out of my driveway without the front spoiler hitting and speed bumps at my school are the devils work
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
crzydrumer14
Racer

unless you are tracking the car, there is no need to 'SLAM' (that just sounds painful) your vette. Giving your vette would little lower stance (inch or so) would make it look aggressive but you're trading off with ride quality. The lower the more harsh. But I think an inch or so is worth it to get the wheels right up in the fenders a bit. Looks sexy.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I raised my car by putting in new polys, I love the raised 4x4 look, why subject your expensive parts to scraping, bad, u joint angles, and what not. oh... for looks, but thats subjective....
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

I have coil-overs on the 89 and love them. I don't have that much trouble with scraping I just watch the road we have driven it from LA to BG for The Gathering a couple of times and had no issues. It can still go over an inch lower than pictured here but this is where it performs best.

The look of your car, granted you know how to take pictures, and the addition of its "stance" rivals that of ANY Vette out there. That is a beautiful (yeah "sexy") ride.

I would be proud to own that vehicle. I'd have to drive it every day. That's what I do with my Vettes. I'm not sure that the older C4's are going to be able to keep up with the daily demands, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm not talking about abuse, racing or anything like that, just a DD like anyone elses.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 AM
ls1569
Racer

I love the slam look my 99FRC is slammed on Savini Wheels and so is my 89Vert. But then again I love body kits on C4s and I have 20in wheels also. Even though my 89 is lower then most its still faster then most I just had a built 383 stroker done with all forged internals.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by pologreen1
WOW that looks really great. To me even in stock form with that stance totally changes the look of that car.

That about say's it all. It's like "night and day"
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Love this car!My cars lowered and it doesnt bother me abit but then again its not a daily driver either.I dont do speed bumps and driveways can be a challenge,just hit it at an angle and creep.Ive cut 5/8 of an inch out of the height of the spoiler,still looks new.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tricep
Beautiful ride. Is that a 95 or 96? That's definitely low enough for me. (BTW, nice Jake)
Thanks, it's a 96. I drove mine nearly everyday for a couple of years lowered. I have to have a child seat 3 days out of the week, so it doesn't see as much action, but I don't have many problems with speed bumps and driveways. I do drag out of my driveway every time, but it's fun to scare the crap out of people when the stainless spoiler hits for a second.

But I'm used to low vehicles...the kidmobile.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

the wifes vette is going to get lowered at least 1 1/2 this summer, no more 4 x 4 for the 89 vert
Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

The look of your car, granted you know how to take pictures, and the addition of its "stance" rivals that of ANY Vette out there. That is a beautiful (yeah "sexy") ride.

I would be proud to own that vehicle. I'd have to drive it every day. That's what I do with my Vettes. I'm not sure that the older C4's are going to be able to keep up with the daily demands, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm not talking about abuse, racing or anything like that, just a DD like anyone elses.
tricep,
Thanks for the awesome comments the picture really makes it look better than it really is LOL One thing is I cannot take any credit for that picture Andy B. with Corvette Enthusiast Magazine shot that picture back in 2007 when he featured the car in the Magazine. It had about 110K on it when that was taken. It is no DD and in the past few years only sees the track. Thanks again for the comments

Daniel
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM
ERNNRON
Heel & Toe

I'll go with plowing earth worms.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely agree lowering these cars improves the look 100%. 'Slamming' it to me means something else - I first came across it in the Vdub scene with front bumpers almost on the floor and rear wheels at crazy crazy camber to get the rear down.

My LT4 has the same lowering kit as everyone else but I think is too low at the front, probably 1/2 inch or so, and needs meatier rubber there too, as the top of the fronts disappear under the wheelarch

Here's another angle

The front dam gets a lot of action and there's hardly any travel. Those little yellow speedbumps you get in parking lots are a nightmare..
Needs stiffer shocks.
Much better than the stock offroad look though
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Eakster
"I absolutely agree lowering these cars improves the look 100%..."
Dude, that is one of the baddest azz photographs I have ever seen in my life. The stance on that car is perfect. I would imagine people comment on it all the time-- as is.

I hope you don't mind, I had some HDR fun for my Flickr account. What a great shot.

If you got any more send em' my way (please)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM
89 corvette
Instructor

if you dont mind..how much did you buy your coilovers...Because I really would love coilovers for my 89 but there pretty expensive

Get notified of new replies

To How come I never see "slammed" C4's?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I don't see much of a point in it unless you want to waste a bunch of money doing it and even more fixing all the stuff that gets broken dragging it's frame across bumps in the road. Vettes are low enough being stock and look cool just the way they were designed. But I guess it makes some happy.
The only cost to lower is the rear bolts. Front doesn't require much money, just time. You can take the shims out of the center retainers, and to lower it more is the pad eyes on the end, which can be cut.
Mine is lowered two inches, and I only hit the plastic spoiler on driveways. Of course I am not a fat man either, so, I dont lower it via the cheeseburger method.
Drive it cautiously and it wont hurt anything. Looks better, but it does require an alignment, which you need every once in a while anyways.
One thing it doesnt help is the geometry of the suspension. over one inch and you are not helping any if you autocross or road race. But then again, if you do race it, the suspension at minimum is a stiff factory one or a race version with stiffer springs shocks etc etc
Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Serial Chiller
Intermediate

considering boston has some of the worst roads in the country, i'll take as much ground clearance as i can
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 AM
massiveB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Serial Chiller
considering boston has some of the worst roads in the country, i'll take as much ground clearance as i can
this year even more so than ive ever seen. still im lowered and just have to watch whats in front of you, its not that bad. most of the abuse is on the rubber spoiler under the front bumper, ground clearance isnt that bad. getting in and out is another story!!

Quick Reply: How come I never see "slammed" C4's?