C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Missing nut on suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Fiery89
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing nut on suspension!

My dad has the '96 CE and he recently brought it to get the wheels balanced as the car was vibrating around 50 mph. While it was in the air, the mechanic noticed a nut missing on one of the suspension pieces and told him he wasn't familiar enough to tell him what it was or where to get it. He brought it over and after looking at it and searching the web, it looks to be a nut missing from the lower driver's side spindle! Has anyone experienced one coming off or know where I could find one? I've called local dealerships (discontinued), local auto parts stores, salvage yards, etc. with no luck in finding this one nut. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone will probably get you accurate info, but being 90's, it could be inch or metric as you probably know. It will likely be fine thread and most certainly grade 8 if it holds the spindle on. Is the bolt still there? Again, not sure on your year but I believe there should be a bolt going in from the outside and then nutted inside (towards engine)..

Chevy used a lot of self locking nuts for this type of thing but just measure the bolt, decide if it is fine thread or not (pretty sure it will be) and get an inch and metric nut around that size in grade 8. Optionally, take another one off and take it with you. Fastenall or similer place will have a match.

If the nut just looks like a nut, it isn't self locking and will use thread locker, if it is self locking, it will appear to be slightly cone shaped on the exposed end..

Either way, can't imagine there is anything overly special about it except mm/inch, locking or not..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Fiery89
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the nut is on the inside driver side rear spindle. The dealership gave me a part #15653460 and I found some specs for it earlier: Thread: M24-1.5; Hex Size: 36mm; Height: 14mm <-- this from an online site that were out of stock of them or you had to order no less than 5 at one time.... Ah, I will try going there with the info I have.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Missing nut on suspension!

Quick Reply: Missing nut on suspension!