Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

well.. I might be finding my way back...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default well.. I might be finding my way back...

over the years I've racked 200k miles on C4's.. we'll specifically ONE C4... and loved it.. later sold it for my C5z06..

but looks like i'll need a car to rack some more miles on.. and with all the options out there.. nothing beats the looks, performance, price and fun of the C4.. I DO MISS THE SEATS!!!

anyways.. just wanted to pop in.. say hi.. I'm keeping an eye out for that next ride..

now the decisions are killing me.. Red, white, black, blue, ruby, purple?!!? hmmm.. donno..

also donno about 6spd or auto.. last one was an auto.. in over 200k miles i needed to rebuild it 3 times..

maybe leaning for the 6spd this time..

and yes.. defiantly and LTx.

damn.. just love the look of the C4..
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always liked the looks of the C4 over the C5, and we won't even talk about the C6.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
over the years I've racked 200k miles on C4's.. we'll specifically ONE C4... and loved it.. later sold it for my C5z06..

but looks like i'll need a car to rack some more miles on.. and with all the options out there.. nothing beats the looks, performance, price and fun of the C4.. I DO MISS THE SEATS!!!

anyways.. just wanted to pop in.. say hi.. I'm keeping an eye out for that next ride..

now the decisions are killing me.. Red, white, black, blue, ruby, purple?!!? hmmm.. donno..

also donno about 6spd or auto.. last one was an auto.. in over 200k miles i needed to rebuild it 3 times..

maybe leaning for the 6spd this time..

and yes.. defiantly and LTx.

damn.. just love the look of the C4..
on the 6spd. More fun than the law should allow.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

what are the typicall issues you guys are seeing with the 6spds? I know with the C5z06 we had some pressure plate/slave cyl issues... but the slave is on the firewall for the C4 isnt it?

I remember something about not being able to cut the flywheel down (dual mass) and a new one being $$$... what else? is the ZF6 pretty good??
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE=Z06_BluByU;1577073949]what are the typicall issues you guys are seeing with the 6spds? I know with the C5z06 we had some pressure plate/slave cyl issues... but the slave is on the firewall for the C4 isnt it?

I remember something about not being able to cut the flywheel down (dual mass) and a new one being $$$... what else? is the ZF6 pretty good??[/QUOTE]

The ZF6 was probably the best transmission GM ever used, pretty much bullet proof.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

what are the typicall issues you guys are seeing with the 6spds? I know with the C5z06 we had some pressure plate/slave cyl issues... but the slave is on the firewall for the C4 isnt it?

I remember something about not being able to cut the flywheel down (dual mass) and a new one being $$$... what else? is the ZF6 pretty good??
The ZF6's are pretty robust, but there has been an issue with the clutch cyls relating to q.c. of the original mandrel-drawn cyls, if the cyls get compromised, the trans will suffer seriousl $$$ damage. That situation is now well documented and the solution is to use aftermarket cast cyls, I have been down this road. BTW, the slave is on the bellhousing.

The original dm flywheel can't be shaved, but they seem to last a long time, ≈90k on mine, clutch and flywheel still working great. Some guys replace the dm with a single-mass, downside to this is some gearbox rattle. Also, just as in the C5, there is an ECM-controlled solenoid that forces a shift into 4th from 1st at low throttle opening, this is easily defeated. IMHO, the car is a whole lot more fun to drive if you row your own.

Go ahead, c'mon back in the pool!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
The ZF6's are pretty robust, but there has been an issue with the clutch cyls relating to q.c. of the original mandrel-drawn cyls, if the cyls get compromised, the trans will suffer seriousl $$$ damage. That situation is now well documented and the solution is to use aftermarket cast cyls, I have been down this road. BTW, the slave is on the bellhousing.

The original dm flywheel can't be shaved, but they seem to last a long time, ≈90k on mine, clutch and flywheel still working great. Some guys replace the dm with a single-mass, downside to this is some gearbox rattle. Also, just as in the C5, there is an ECM-controlled solenoid that forces a shift into 4th from 1st at low throttle opening, this is easily defeated. IMHO, the car is a whole lot more fun to drive if you row your own.

Go ahead, c'mon back in the pool!

I've got my eye on a few... one's a ruby..

on the C5z06 the slave is intergrated with the throwout bearing... and they are prone to crap the bed... in which case ya do the whole clutch...

do the DM flywheels need to be resurfaced every clutch replacement? some of the cars ive looked at are in the 120k mark... BTW: high milage on these babies doesnt scare me one bit.. I drove my last one to 208k miles IIRC..
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

TO enourage you...

6 Speed, LT1 best run 13.52@108.83MPH, get some...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
TO enourage you...

6 Speed, LT1 best run 13.52@108.83MPH, get some...
Those rubies sure look great...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I love all Vettes but the C4s are truly my element. Good luck finding another C4.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the C5 T-56 is anything like the one in the GTO/ Monaro, then the ZF6 is much better, imo. At least in my car's case, it doesn't feel like an old pair of pants was stuffed down the trans tunnel somewhere...

There is a little whine in some gears at certain speeds, but I think that adds to the whole sportscar experience

Get an LT4
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eakster
IF the C5 T-56 is anything like the one in the GTO/ Monaro, then the ZF6 is much better, imo. At least in my car's case, it doesn't feel like an old pair of pants was stuffed down the trans tunnel somewhere...

There is a little whine in some gears at certain speeds, but I think that adds to the whole sportscar experience

Get an LT4
yea.. on the fence.. I had a line on an LT5 Ruby with head work, headers, gears, etc.. done.. very nice shape and i've known the owner for years.. but dont want to spend quite that much $$$ for a car i'm gonna rack tons of miles on.. that the whole point.. ive already got a few garage queens..

i wouldnt mind an LT4 if the condition of the car is good and the price is right.. but honestly.. and LT1 is a great engine.. finding the right condition, color, year , mileage and $$$ (all the ducks aligning) is the hard part..

and then the color.. I love black.. my last oen was black.. but maybe i'm ready for something different.. i donno...

always liked polo green, torch red, white, ruby, admiral blue, copper....

with anything but the polo i prefer the black interiors.. with the polo it NEEDS to be the beige.

Could only do the red guts with the black or red car..

and the white would be VERY cool with a white car.. my fav white combination.. think this is leading the hunt..
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
abecon5
Pro

here is some more p0rn for you....
White 6spd is the way to go

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by abecon5
here is some more p0rn for you....
White 6spd is the way to go

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
looks best with teh five spokes... but with the lic plate filler on the front..

good lookin.. white guts?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
abecon5
Pro

looks best with teh five spokes... but with the lic plate filler on the front..

good lookin.. white guts?
thanks bro. yeah, I agree.
I have the F1 315's on the five spoke wheels so they only go on in the summer. I got my all season tires on now.
Notice the two different roofs too

the interior is black

Last edited by abecon5; 03-17-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the hunt. Just bought my first C4 about 6 weeks ago (see signature). I've owned C3's and C5's and I think that the C4 is the most fun to drive.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I love the White Blck/Red. It screams Corvette to me. A4 or 6 speed is a personal preference thing. It all depends on how hard it was driven. I'm surprised to hear you rebuilt yours 3 times in 200K. Builder must not have been very good. (hope you weren't the builder)

Get notified of new replies

To well.. I might be finding my way back...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I love the White Blck/Red. It screams Corvette to me. A4 or 6 speed is a personal preference thing. It all depends on how hard it was driven. I'm surprised to hear you rebuilt yours 3 times in 200K. Builder must not have been very good. (hope you weren't the builder)
the first trans builder (at 70k miles) was a scammer and needed to rebuild it 4 times in 3 weeks.. caught him doing some very scammeriffic stuff.. a quick letter changed his attitude quickly and it finally ran without exploding..

it ran that way for about 100k miles.. than after the 383 stroker build it crapped the bed..

went alll out.. got recommendations on the best builder in teh area from multipule people.. and did everything suggested.. PI vig converter, trans cooler, red eagle clutches, etc..

tranny lastest +/-5000 miles.. no warrenty on performance tranmissions from this guy.. and charged 700 to rebuild it again.. needed new clutches.. think the next time he went with some blue clutch pack.. cant remember.. on, and he had my VSS installed 180* out so my speedometer would only work now and then.. check couldnt fig it out and said it was an internal tranny issue.. and back to him x2 and he couldnt figure it out.. all that diag time ran about $700..

I could go on.. damn thing.. and i took all the precautions the second time I could think of.. this is why i'm leaning to the 6spd..

of course my c5z06 had its own issues.. the clutch pedal would stick to the floor after one or two high speed shifts (common problem in c5z06's). the ranger clutch fluid protocol helped a bit.. so did runnign higher temp fluid.. but was still a headache.

this C4 is gonna stay stock, easy to repair and gonna rack some fun miles on her!

my head still hurts from my auto..

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 03-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by proracr
I think that the C4 is the most fun to drive.
it is!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by abecon5

very clean

solid top is mandatory on the next one also.. I jsut like they way they look better..

needs a picture with the 5 spokes, the solid top and the plate filler on the front..

Quick Reply: well.. I might be finding my way back...