C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Smoked in the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys.

My other car that I use every day was owned before me by a guy who smoked like a turk in it. There was ash everywhere and the headliner was brown in staid of beige.
Anyway long story short me and my gf first washed all the plastics with some kind of vanish thing (I think it's used for washing white clouts) and then used a much more concentrated solution to wash the headliner and carpets. We did this about 3-4 times in the same week. Caret and headline were soaking wet and foamy so each time I let it dry in the sun for a few hours.
The smoke was completely gone and all was back to original colors.

I think that probably any detergent would do as long as it was concentrated enough and you used enough of it.

Hope you guys get it clean.

Bye
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Find a detail shop that has an Ozone generator. Smell gone from everywhere.
Or rent one and do it yourself. Don't breathe the stuff.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Or rent one and do it yourself. Don't breathe the stuff.
I had one of those little ones in the car for a while until I read about cancer risks...

Seems like some elbow grease will be required at some point with all of the suggestions. The only thing I have to add is use a steam cleaner on the carpets - one that sucks out the nastiness as you clean. I do mine every few months, the carpets are like new
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Kidding aside, it reminds me of that Mythbuster episode where they took an '88(I think), C4 and locked it up for weeks with 2 pig carcasses inside. Cigarette smoke can't even come near that....
[QUOTE=Railroadman;1577076837]What myth were they trying to bust? That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time!

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode7
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Professional detailer and Ozone machine!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
delphipgmr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clean everything as good as you can, then put coffee grounds in a couple of open containers.

leave them in the car for a few days, and smoke smell will be gone.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Leave a fish under the seat. In a few days you won't even notice the smoke smell.
Thats for sure. Way back when station wagons were big, some friends & I (well, one guy had a credit card, & we had to pay him) rented a Ford wagon with the rear facing seats for the weekend. We took the car to the Jersey shore for some fishing & drinking beer. We caught quite a few fish, but forgot about bringing something to keep them cold in. one guy had the idea of dumping the ice from the beer coolers into the footwell in the rear of the car, & then put the fish back there to keep them cold. The problem was that instead of coming back that night, we stopped at a motel 6 type place with a country bar right across the street. Everyone got to feeling no pain & we forgot about the fish & rented rooms at the motel for the night. Everyone slept late the next day (it was July), & in the late afternoon we piled in the car for the trip home. Needless to say, the folks at Avis were less than friendly.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Durissus
Racer

Ozium works okay, but another thought might be to put a couple cotton ***** saturated with peppermint oil under the seats, or some place. I used them to keep mice away (thanks to previous posts on the mouse problem) and they worked well! And the car smells great!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

leather doesn't absorb smoke. Just clean everything really well, as you would normally, then shampoo the carpets and you'll be fine. get some air freshner you spray, and spray down the carpets good after they have dried.

Close it up for a few hours and then crack the windows. The only people who will be able to tell if anyone ever smoked in the car are those who are allergic to smoke, but I doubt even they will be able to.

I'm a smoker and I clean my cars well and people tell me they can't smell smoke. But then again I seldom smoke in my cars anymore unless it's a long trip.

If you have a headliner top, do not get it wet. With the hot sun it will seperate the glue. Ask me how I know!

Just febreeze the heck out of the headliner.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sell "ozium bombs" at auto parts stores. Turn it loose in the car with the widows closed and a\c on full for a few minutes. It works great. Did it to my kids Grand Cherokee.
Mike

Quick Reply: Smoked in the car