Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Sales at Mecum

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought mine to drive too... not a single thought toward investment. I have owned a couple of cars that I considered more as "investments" (not Corvettes) and I have to say that while I loved them, I didn't enjoy them... other than the enjoyment I got from just "owning it" (which quickly wore thin without seat time).

I enjoy the hell out of my C4 (ie, I drive it!) without any concern for it's value. I put 10k miles on it in my first year of ownership. If these were appreciating vehicles maybe I'd become concerned... but then again, probably not. I've had my fill of having cars sit in my garage collecting dust... life is too short!

And if they continue to be bargain priced... all the better... maybe I'll get another some day!

And the really funny part is that unless someone is in the Corvette crowd people don't realize what a bargain the C4s are right now. Non-Vette folks are always impressed with a Corvette... any Corvette. I always get comments like, "Wow, you own a Corvette?" The brand just carries a certain panache.

It's been said before on here, but I'll say it again... the only people who don't like C4s are other (non-C4) Corvette owners. To the general public... a Corvette is a Corvette. And I love mine!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jon1all
I bought mine to drive too... not a single thought toward investment. I have owned a couple of cars that I considered more as "investments" (not Corvettes) and I have to say that while I loved them, I didn't enjoy them... other than the enjoyment I got from just "owning it" (which quickly wore thin without seat time).

I enjoy the hell out of my C4 (ie, I drive it!) without any concern for it's value. I put 10k miles on it in my first year of ownership. If these were appreciating vehicles maybe I'd become concerned... but then again, probably not. I've had my fill of having cars sit in my garage collecting dust... life is too short!

And if they continue to be bargain priced... all the better... maybe I'll get another some day!

And the really funny part is that unless someone is in the Corvette crowd people don't realize what a bargain the C4s are right now. Non-Vette folks are always impressed with a Corvette... any Corvette. I always get comments like, "Wow, you own a Corvette?" The brand just carries a certain panache.

It's been said before on here, but I'll say it again... the only people who don't like C4s are other (non-C4) Corvette owners. To the general public... a Corvette is a Corvette. And I love mine!!!
Well said! We're talking about a car, not a museum piece.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by proracr
We have watched many Mecum auctions on television and what we learned when we attended one in person was that nearly all the cars look pristine on TV, but not so much when you see them in person.... That can account for the perception of low value at auction.
This is what the OP is missing. I saw the same auction on TV. To be honest, it kinda pisses me off they don't say mileage. Taking nice, pretty camera shots doesn't tell the whole story -- as proracr points out. I bet the C4's weren't low mileage.

There's an issue of collectibility and supply vs demand. How many Corvette's are there vs Pontiac Sprint cars? There are millions of people in the world. Everyone likes something different. For the person wanting an older, more likely to rot, out-of-the-way Pontiac, why shouldn't they pay that one person who kept/restored one?

If you ever start trying to restore any of these (or other cars), you will gain new appreciation for the amount of time/expense it takes in that business. After doing some of this myself, I wonder how they even make money.

What about power levels and all the discussions we've seen (in C4General) about the perceived (and real) lack of power of the C4 generation vs other generations? C4's are also the simplest in body design. If you don't consider these two issues, you're in denial.

If you don't consider the real possibility the horizon of automobiles could be very different in the next 10-20 years, you're also in denial. What does that mean for this proposed rise in price of C4's? I think it means they're a day late and a dollar short. Fuel and pollution issues will prevent any car with thousands and thousands of units from increasing in value.

What about the 2-seater, drive only is winter issue? Did you forget about that? When looking at the value of the car, consider how many people can afford it, whether they can/will realistically leverage it's abilities (or lack of abilities), and if they're willing to buy a car that basically demands the ownership of a second car. Combined with the number of units, gas situation, global warming, etc....

I don't think C4's stand a chance. (In the price appreciation market that is.)

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 03-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

This post has become pathetic.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
This post has become pathetic.

No...It was pretty "whiney" from the start.

Quick Reply: C4 Sales at Mecum