C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HVAC - Air Conditioner Compressor not getting power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HVAC - Air Conditioner Compressor not getting power

1990 Corvette - Cannot get the HVAC COmpressor to turn on. The freon has been checked and I switched it over to R134. I can force the compressor to turn on by jumping power to it from the battery with a wire and it blows Cold. I checked the Relay behind the Instrument Panel and it checks out OK. The Green Light flashes above the AUTO button when I turn on the AC. Does this sound like a bad AC Controler? Is there a way to test it?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you check the pressure switch in the AC line?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by gsdave
Did you check the pressure switch in the AC line?
+1 - I had the same problem and the pressure switch got clogged after conversion to R134. Autozone stocks a replacement. I believe there is also a small screw that one can adjust the switch for the different pressure of R134, but unless you know what you are doing I would leave it be. Mine has been fine now for quite a few years after I replaced it.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Would help to know the static and operating pressures.

The flashing LED indicates that a problem has been detected and nothing is going to work until it's fixed. It may be a low gas code; particularly if you had to rebuild it. Start by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which will clear memory and then see what happens.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
Would help to know the static and operating pressures.

The flashing LED indicates that a problem has been detected and nothing is going to work until it's fixed. It may be a low gas code; particularly if you had to rebuild it. Start by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which will clear memory and then see what happens.
Well, stopped by the local dealership this afternoon to return their AC Vacuum that they loaned to me and talked to one of the techs and he told me the place to start is to disconnect the Battery to clear the codes. So that is exactly what I did and PRESTO, the compressor came on and ran for 20 minutes with no problem. I had to do the same thing with my 1987 Cadillac Allante', but thankfully they placed a decal right by the compressor stating that.

Such a small fix to cure such a Big Problem. Thanks for all of Y'all's help.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC - Air Conditioner Compressor not getting power

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioner Compressor not getting power