C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Repair/body manuels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair/body manuels...

I purchased a 88 ANC in December that is in overall very very good shape BUT has the electronic Air and heat option...and NONE of the lights are functional..BUT both the AC and heater work fine...but its a hit and miss deal to get comfortable ...

I do most of my own work and just looking around it looks like nobody sells assembly manuals for these cars and boy I make heavy use of these manuals for my C2 and C3 Corvettes... I've been looking on e-bay for a complete repair/body and electrical manuals with no luck...

anyone have a source for them...??? I'd like to take the dash apart etc but I'd like to know how things are assembled before doing the deed... Also I'm a good wrench BUT electronics is like greek to me...

Bob G
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24695bob
I purchased a 88 ANC in December that is in overall very very good shape BUT has the electronic Air and heat option...and NONE of the lights are functional..BUT both the AC and heater work fine...but its a hit and miss deal to get comfortable ...

I do most of my own work and just looking around it looks like nobody sells assembly manuals for these cars and boy I make heavy use of these manuals for my C2 and C3 Corvettes... I've been looking on e-bay for a complete repair/body and electrical manuals with no luck...

anyone have a source for them...??? I'd like to take the dash apart etc but I'd like to know how things are assembled before doing the deed... Also I'm a good wrench BUT electronics is like greek to me...

Bob G
You're right, there is no Assembly Manual for the C4. What you need is the Factory Service Manual (FSM) from Helms. This is a model year specific, two volume set available from Helms, some of the Corvette after market suppliers (Corvette Central, ZIP, etc) or used editions can be found on e-bay or the parts for sale section of this forum.

There are two versions: the white cover, (which is a preliminary version), and the red cover. You would want the red cover for your 88. Make sure you get both volumes. The first volume covers everything except electrical, the second volume is devoted to the electrical system.

Expect to pay around $150 for a new set. Used can be found for about half that.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Thank You ...I had planned on on doing some serious looking at Carlisle in April @ Spring Carlisle and again in August at the Corvette show...

I'll start looking now...

Bob G
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep checking the C4 Parts For Sale section. FSM's for various years show up all the time.

If you want brand new books, go right to Helms and order them.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So the only thing that doesn't work is the lights in the
AC/heater controls?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
So the only thing that doesn't work is the lights in the
AC/heater controls?

Yep...the heater and AC both work...fans work .. By ear I know the fan can change speed ..

But the small red lights above all the mode buttons none work... Nor does it allow me to see any Temperature to set it at (where it displaces the temperature in the upper left corner does not work...

I can live with this BUT to be honest I do not want too even though I never drive any of my Corvettes in the winter and it takes a special occasion for me to put the windows up and turn the AC on in the summer...

BTW... I hate the digital dash LOL... the only other C4 I ever owned was a 95 which had dash instrument cluster that was just "more normal" and acceptable...

Bob G

Get notified of new replies

To Repair/body manuels...

Quick Reply: Repair/body manuels...