C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Owner With 2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Memphisdoug
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner With 2 Problems

I just purchased a 1996 coupe and have a couple of issues that I'm trying to figure out.

When I shut off the car and get out the radio doesn't shut off. I haven't waited it out yet to see if it ever shuts off but after a good 5 minutes it was still on. Any idea what would cause this?

Also, my PKE system doesn't work. I have tried turning it on by holding the window button on the fob but nothing. The hatch button doesn't work either. When I shut off the car and open the door the PKE light doesn't come on in the information center. The alarm doesn't appear to work either. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

did you try a new battery in the key fob?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Memphisdoug
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
did you try a new battery in the key fob?
I checked the voltage of the battery in the fob and it is good.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the interior lights going off?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say 95 % chance the radio not shutting off is the door adjar switch, 20 bucks online 30 at dealer.
Are your interior lights coming on when the door is open if not it's the switch.
You should also get a security light on the dash when the door is opened.

Your radio will shut off after 15 min,even with a bad door switch.
Today I just switched my passenger side switch to my drivers side because itr wasn't working so good.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphisdoug
I checked the voltage of the battery in the fob and it is good.
What do you mean by good? A couple tenths of a volt is enough to make them not work. Replace the battery, then go throught the programming procedure (in the owners manual). First check the fuses, 26, 40 and 42.

I agree the other problem sounds like a door switch. Do you get the "door ajar" light when you open it? Do the interior lights come on?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, my PKE system doesn't work. I have tried turning it on by holding the window button on the fob but nothing. The hatch button doesn't work either. When I shut off the car and open the door the PKE light doesn't come on in the information center. The alarm doesn't appear to work either. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
....this sounds like the PKE has been turned 'OFF'. I know from personal experience on my 96, that if you press one of the FOB buttons unexpectedly, you can turn the system off.

From the owners manual:

Turning the System Off
1. Take the ignition key out of the ignition.
2. Press DOOR on the transmitter until the door locks
cycle (about two seconds).
To turn the system back on, just repeat the steps.

Changing the Door Settings
1. Put the ignition key in the ignition, but don’t turn it
on.
cycle (about two seconds)....in my case.....it was more like 15-20 seconds.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Memphisdoug
4th Gear

Default 1 problem solved - 1 to go

Good news on the radio problem - it is being caused by intermittent contact on the driver's side door switch. I'll have to get another one of those.

Now for the PKE. My fob battery voltage is 3.04 volts so it is good. I checked fuses 26, 40 and 42 - all good. I have tried to do the transmitter matching procedure in the owner's manual. Key on, push TRIP ODO twice, hold FUEL INFO on until PKE light comes on. Problem is that it never comes on. So, I'm thinking I have a vehicle problem but not a fob problem. Any more ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Memphisdoug
4th Gear

Originally Posted by VA50th
....this sounds like the PKE has been turned 'OFF'. I know from personal experience on my 96, that if you press one of the FOB buttons unexpectedly, you can turn the system off.

From the owners manual:

Turning the System Off
1. Take the ignition key out of the ignition.
cycle (about two seconds).
To turn the system back on, just repeat the steps.

Changing the Door Settings
1. Put the ignition key in the ignition, but don’t turn it
on.
cycle (about two seconds)....in my case.....it was more like 15-20 seconds.
I have tried the turn on - turn off procedure but nothing happens
Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

...hang in there. The fact that the PKE light does not come on, could mean that the system is turned off. The last time this happened to me, (just a few weeks ago) I did everything you just did with no luck. I finally just let it go and the next morning the PKE was back on.

Sometimes disconnecting the battery for a few minutes acts like a reset.

The PKE control module is located behind central dash (fun) if you do have to replace.

There are others on the forum (RollaMO-LT4) who are far more knowledgeable than I.

Also try a forum search. Lots of discussion on PKE.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:26 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Good news on the radio problem - it is being caused by intermittent contact on the driver's side door switch. I'll have to get another one of those.

Now for the PKE. My fob battery voltage is 3.04 volts so it is good. I checked fuses 26, 40 and 42 - all good. I have tried to do the transmitter matching procedure in the owner's manual. Key on, push TRIP ODO twice, hold FUEL INFO on until PKE light comes on. Problem is that it never comes on. So, I'm thinking I have a vehicle problem but not a fob problem. Any more ideas?
If the light did not come on during that procedure, I'm afraid it indicates a bad PKE receiver module. Those are located deep in the dash. A lot of work (or money) to replace. Your options appear to be do without, replace the PKE receiver, or get an aftermarket system. Before you spend the time and money replacing the factory system read the owners manual carefully and make sure you understand how the system works and that you will be OK with it. Some people like the system, others really dislike it.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to replace the switch do a search for the procedure. If I recall, there's a backing plate in the door jamb that holds the screws for the switch. What you have to do is remove one of the screws then put a small awl or nail in the hole to keep the plate from dropping down into the door. Remove the second screw then the switch. Replace the switch and the first screw then remove the awl and replace the other screw.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner With 2 Problems

Quick Reply: New Owner With 2 Problems