Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heartbroken over bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, when I totaled my bike, State Farm told me their values came from NADA.
Exactly my experience when a State Farm policyholder pulled out in front of me and totalled my bike. After I (somewhat tersely) pointed out to them that this method was in violation of the CA Fair Claims Settlement Act they backed down and gave me replacement value, which ended up being calculated according to the figures I gave them.

So to the OP: check your state's insurance regulations to see what your rights are. You don't need a lawyer; just a law library if the information isn't available online.

Once you know what your rights are DON'T GIVE AN INCH.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

From an insurance company's standpoint, cars are cheap, bodily injuries are expensive. All you really need to do is have your dad start complaining that his back has been hurting since the wreck......

They will be anxious to close the file and will pay more.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by anciano
Once you know what your rights are DON'T GIVE AN INCH.
Sadly enough,most think what the responsible parties insurance says is law.They go by their estimates,their repair facilities etc.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Sadly enough,most think what the responsible parties insurance says is law.They go by their estimates,their repair facilities etc.

I strongly advise against dealing directly with the other party's insurance, even if they have accepted fault.

Their insurance company wants to close the case for the least possible bottom-line cost and cares absolutely nothing about your end-state satisfaction.

File the claim with your own insurance company. They at least have some concern as to your satisfaction - they want to keep your business, and for most of us, that includes multiple vehicles, home, life, etc.

Deal with your agency only and let them subrogate against the at-fault party's insurance company. You will even recoup your deductable.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry about your vette and I hope that you get it fixed as good as it was or better for your trouble.

Well I see that insurance companies in the States are the same douche bags as they are everywhere else!
Had a similar thing happen to me last year (but not to vette... it still isn't here... but my other us car). A drunk thought he had the right of way and parked his delivery van on my roof (his van... almost no damage.. busted headlight and fender). Not my fault by a long shot but the insurance company said it was totaled (it wasn't just front wheel was caved in... engine trany everything a ok and just serviced). So they wanted to give mi about $1700.. now way I could fix it for that money. But couldn't find a lawyer that would want to do anything for that little and the insurance company didn't wanna budge. So I got stuck with $1700 and walked for a month... thanks to a very good friend of mine. Who fixed it better than it was with a cost of only addition of $400.
So lessen learned... guy crashes into your car without being your fault and it'll only cost you 400 bucks.... go figure where the insurance you pay comes into the picture.
Someone's getting the short end of the stick....I wonder who.

Just pisses me off!!
Tell the insurance company douche bags that it's not a peace of crap like most of those they drive on a daily bases but a Vette... an icon... something special. Something that brings joy and happiness to you and let them take care of everything.

Hope you get back behind the wheel of your vette soon.

Bye
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
Sounds good but on the other hand I would think that cost is quite high Ken ? I take my Vette out whenever I want and always have a second destination to go too just in case.
Joe: for the `90 its something like $170 every 6 months, & for the `87 with an agreed value of $12.5k its $125 ebery 6 months. Not too shabby.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by kenv
Joe: for the `90 its something like $170 every 6 months, & for the `87 with an agreed value of $12.5k its $125 ebery 6 months. Not too shabby.
Almost the same numbers here. I did a bunch of checking and between Hagerty, Corvette Museum Ins, and another "specialty" company and my regular carrier,,, agreed value was the cheapest of them all. And I know how my carrier handles claims.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ive got AAA on my daily driver.Checked into transferring my Corvette over on same policy but could never get a straight answer on agreed value.Kept pushing and finally got a figure of $20,000 tops,Ive currently got Hagerty at $40,000 agreed value.

Quick Reply: Heartbroken over bad luck