Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone in CT with a C4 and magnaflow catback system?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
npbassman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone in CT with a C4 and magnaflow catback system?

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a little while but I'm back! I'm actually planning on pulling the car out of winter storage in the next couple of weeks so it's exciting for sure.

I'm currently running a 3" cat back system with an X pipe (no resonator) feeding into two Flowmaster 40's. It's pretty damn loud and the resonance is mind blowing at 2200 rpm. So much so that I didn't drive the car as much as I would have liked to last year because I literally walk away with a migrain after a 45 min drive. And before the wisecracks start up, I'm only 37 and I love it loud! But I need this a little quieter.

I have some stock LT1 mufflers sitting in my garage right now but I don't want to completely neuter the car - yet. So, while I realize that Magnaflow owners do report some resonance, I'm pretty sure that it can't be as bad as what I have now and I'd like to give it a shot. I'm thinking about either the full catback system (16837) or just the mufflers (15623) to attach to my existing X pipe setup. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Is anyone in CT running this setup with an LT1 and shorties? If so, perhaps we can get together so I can take a listen?

Thanks - Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

I have that exact setup: LT1, shorties, Magnaflow 3" catback.
It resonates a bit, but it doesn't bother me much. Its not quiet but its not really loud either, I think its just about right. 4.11s helped since it now cruises outside of the "resonation zone."

I'm in CT. I can meet up sometime prolly in the next month if you like.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The flowmasters 40 is one of the loudest street mufflers and maybe the loudest one.

Looks like you have a good cat back tubing set up. Just buy new mufflers.

My Magnaflow Performance Exhaust would make my head tingle close to a migraine after couple of hours driving. I'm considering but, not 100% yet on saving for a Corsa.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

I'm currently running a 3" cat back system with an X pipe (no resonator) feeding into two Flowmaster 40's. It's pretty damn loud and the resonance is mind blowing at 2200 rpm. So much so that I didn't drive the car as much as I would have liked to last year because I literally walk away with a migrain after a 45 min drive. And before the wisecracks start up, I'm only 37 and I love it loud! But I need this a little quieter.

I have some stock LT1 mufflers sitting in my garage right now but I don't want to completely neuter the car - yet. So, while I realize that Magnaflow owners do report some resonance, I'm pretty sure that it can't be as bad as what I have now and I'd like to give it a shot. I'm thinking about either the full catback system (16837) or just the mufflers (15623) to attach to my existing X pipe setup. I'm leaning towards the latter.

A friend of mine has your setup & the car is too loud for a C4 sounds like an old hot rod for the 60's. His father a cool guy w/a matching C4 Vert asked me to chg his exhaust but not like his son's. I installed a Magnaflow catback and I think it sounds good. Nice at idle and much better wide open then stock.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
npbassman
Racer

Thanks for the replies, guys.

jmgtp - I think I'm going to get the car out of storage around Easter weekend so next month works perfectly for me. Where are you located? Perhaps we can find a good burger joint, I'll buy.

PLRX - I thought about Corsa too but I'd rather get out of this on the cheap for now and will probably do what you suggest by just buying the mufflers. I will know for sure after jmg and I meet.

Mike
Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by npbassman
Thanks for the replies, guys.

jmgtp - I think I'm going to get the car out of storage around Easter weekend so next month works perfectly for me. Where are you located? Perhaps we can find a good burger joint, I'll buy.

PLRX - I thought about Corsa too but I'd rather get out of this on the cheap for now and will probably do what you suggest by just buying the mufflers. I will know for sure after jmg and I meet.

Mike
Thats what I said. I bought the Magnaflow for my 96, it sounds like a hungry animal looking for food, sounds great but my head is not that hungry.

Looks like you dont like drone, Magnaflow will give you drone but, the Magnaflow SS mufflers (My 95) are not as bad. The Magnaflow SS muffler gives a nice mid-tone rumble but, I have no drone inside.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

I have AN X pipe and the axle back SS Magnaflows. $500 total, no way I would pay for Corsa, paying too much for the name and if it does sound better than mine it is not much, and not worth the $1300. I could buy some other things with the extra $800 for the car.

Last edited by joesgulfstream; 04-04-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the magnaflow PART# 16837 setup with shorty headers and no cats and a procharger on it,has a nice low sound to it and have no interior drone at all,was almost dissapointed at first that it wasnt any louder,but really happy with it now.
mike
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the 3 inch Magnaflow muffler setup on my 88.The interior resonance is not bad at all.I am not sure which Magnaflows they are,they were on the Vette when I bought it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I had the magnaflows with the rear y with crossover tube on my L98 and it didn't have any drone.

Not sure what to tell ya about the LT1.

They were almost too quiet for me actually but with no drone I was happy. The LT1 seems to adapt differently for some folks.

Good luck

I actually have a set of magnaflows I'm going to mount on my C5. I have the quad power Mid America on it now, and they'll rattle your head in second gear but highway cruise they don't drone.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by npbassman
PM sent.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in CT with a C4 and magnaflow catback system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone in CT with a C4 and magnaflow catback system?