Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What is going on with my Targa top..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What is going on with my Targa top..

Hello vette n00b here. .

My targa top rattles like crazy. I searched how to adjust the brackets on the windshield frame but I want to make sure this is the right top before I go taking stuff apart.

I was looking at http://www.corvettettops.com/84-96.htm

And they show photo's of 3 different roof locator part designs.

It looks like my car should have the 1st design "cones" but my top doesnt have have them.. There is also a threaded part floating around inside the top where im pointing.

I know this top isn't the original one because the RPO codes say it should have a blue tint transparent one. Im wondering if someone hacked up a later top to make it fit.

My car is a early 1986 with iron heads.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
ecorse66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like someone modified a 2nd generation (86L-88) top by moving the brackets toward the center. I believe that loose part is one of the nuts used to hold the bracket and adjust the top when the bracket is moved back to the original position. I think you can use that top by moving the brackets back to their original position and changing the windshield header brackets and plastic trim molding on the car to the 86L-88 style. Someone here probably has a set for sale or they are always some on ebay. This is probably the most cost effective way of getting a working targa top. The previous owner must have drilled an extra hole in the top frame to mount the brackets inboard. but it probably won't show when the top is on the car and shouldn't hurt anything. Other option is to sell that top and look for a 1st generation top (84-86E.) Good luck!

Dave T.

Last edited by ecorse66; 04-04-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecorse66
Looks like someone modified a 2nd generation (86L-88) top by moving the brackets toward the center. I believe that loose part is one of the nuts used to hold the bracket and adjust the top when the bracket is moved back to the original position. I think you can use that top by moving the brackets back to their original position and changing the windshield header brackets and plastic trim molding on the car to the 86L-88 style. Someone here probably has a set for sale or they are always some on ebay. This is probably the most cost effective way of getting a working targa top. The previous owner must have drilled an extra hole in the top frame to mount the brackets inboard. but it probably won't show when the top is on the car and shouldn't hurt anything. Other option is to sell that top and look for a 1st generation top (84-86E.) Good luck!

Dave T.

thats not the original top. Its the same style (blue tint) but from a different year.

Their are many threads about swapping tops from different years. Just do a search and you will find detailed info on how to upgrade the tops the correct way.

Get notified of new replies

To What is going on with my Targa top..

Quick Reply: What is going on with my Targa top..