Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Did you really want a C4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A neighbor had a '68 that I drooled over, but the C4s were out when I first got my license, so it was a toss up. When I was finally gray and wrinkled enough to for a vette, most of the C3s I looked at were either way over priced or were junk. So I found a sweet C4 and am happy, but I still look at C3s. One day.
But mostly I just like pie.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Been stuck on 'em ever since. It was the car I wanted in college and couldn't afford then.

If I wanted a new one, I'd buy a new one.

When i bought my C4 i could have bought a C5 or C6 and still could to this day, but the C4 is the car i wanted. Will that ever change? Possibly, but not anytime soon, i'm having to much fun with this one at the moment.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I actually wanted a corvair but ralph Nadar said I couldn't have one!
Good thing ol' Ralphie knew what was best for us and protected us from ourselves. I remember him spouting off as a kid....what a fruitcake.

Originally Posted by Klondike
I pointed to a beautiful Polo Green LT4 that had been parked next to it and said, How do you like that one? Well she loved it and let me have it
Polo Green: Captivating souls for 21 years now.

Originally Posted by dukeallen
A neighbor had a '68 that I drooled over, but the C4s were out when I first got my license, so it was a toss up. When I was finally gray and wrinkled enough to for a vette, most of the C3s I looked at were either way over priced or were junk. So I found a sweet C4 and am happy, but I still look at C3s. One day.
But mostly I just like pie.
I grew up with C3's, and still love them today too....some day will add one to the herd. And the pie goes without saying.

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
When i bought my C4 i could have bought a C5 or C6 and still could to this day, but the C4 is the car i wanted. Will that ever change? Possibly, but not anytime soon, i'm having to much fun with this one at the moment.
I actually started to buy a C5 new in 1998. Wife loved it, I loved it, had a deal already struck...and then it hit me: I would be paying (at the time) $40K plus for a car I would drive 2-3 times a month. I bought a nice 84 instead and sunk the money into investments.....which is why I can pay cash for a new one right now if I want.

When the 84 was new, I was a broke 20 year old college student....I remember gawking at it in the showroom and being blown away. The salesman wouldn't even open it up and let me sit in it. I thought to myself.....some day.....
Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
The salesman wouldn't even open it up and let me sit in it. I thought to myself.....some day.....
Ever tried to vacuum out yellow fur??
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Azriel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking for a Corvette in my price range in general. I could have easily afforded a C3, but it wouldn't have been in great condition or a desirable model. I test drove an '82 that was priced around $7500 and probably had over 100k miles. It was after driving that one that I decided a C3 would be too much mechanical work for me to have it as my daily driver, so I started to really look at the C4. Initially, I didn't like the way they looked at all. I thought they were too angular and flat in comparison to the swooping lines of the C3.

I finally test drove a '94 Convertible with flowmasters. Oh man, what a ride! I remember being thrilled that I couldn't understand a word my dad said on the phone while I was driving I don't remember how many miles that one had, probably around 80k. The dealer wanted $8500 for it, but would throw in a "warranty" with a company notorious for refusing to pay out. So I told him to stuff it and kept looking. I found a yellow '87, also with flowmasters for sale by owner nearby my house. It was a nice one, tan cloth interior in great condition. He also wanted $8500. After I drove it, I shot him an email that I'd give him $7500 cash for it. He entirely ignored that email and I never heard from him again. His loss, right?

Several months later, after I had given up the search for a good condition C4, I decided to pop on craigslist and take a look. I stumbled upon an ad from a local dealer for a red '88 coupe. It looked great, so I called in about it. They'd had it for a total of an hour before I called. I went and test drove it, loved it, and so had my girlfriend's dad take a look at it too. He drove it, we both decided it was great, so I started the paperwork! Now, my beauty sits on my driveway, waiting for me every day. 53k miles when I bought it, 66k now. Paid $10k for it, and couldn't be happier.

Cliffs: I just wanted a Corvette.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Boy, I sure did/do. Ever since they came out back in 1984 during my senior year in high school.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

After owning my 06 for four years, I searched for my C4. I like the style and technology of the later year C4s so I added this to the stable.
I also still have the 06 which is a great car in its own way as well.

Last edited by Warren Seale; 04-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
After owning my 06 for four years, I searched for my C4. I like the style and technology of the later year C4s so I added this to the stable.
I also still have the 06 which is a great car in its own way as well.

I was at a car show this weekend and I must say, I'm really warming up to the C6. I just hadn't been around many and couldn't get past the head lights.

But they do have some nice lines.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lusted after this car since Dad bought it. Was glad to buy it when the folks decided to sell. I just hope it (and I) are in good enough shape in 20 years or so to pass it along to one of my boys.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
muzikmanwi
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I wouldn't have really wanted my C4 I wouldn't have bought it so my answer is yes.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Did you really want a C4 ?
YES!!

My first Corvette ever, was a Z51 optioned, '06 C6. I bought it brand new in '06 and had it delivered to me in Park City, UT. I owned the car for 3.5 years, tracked it at Miller many times, ran it at the drag track, and produced fantastic numbers with it. But is was no fun. No matter what I tried, I simply didn't and couldn't "love" the car. It was a very nice, fast...appliance.

Several months before I sold the C6, I bought a '92 C4 for dirt, to fix and sell. I fixed the C4 (had the wrong key[!]), registered it and started driving it. I never drove the C6 again.

The C6 sat in my garage for 4 months...then I sold it, and I don't miss it. So for ME, the C4 choice wasn't about money, it was a deliberate choice. I had both...and I CHOSE the C4 over the C6.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-11-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
Ever tried to vacuum out yellow fur??

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
JohnTVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm on my fourth Vette. One of those being a 2002 Coupe. I'm now on my second LT4, this time the CE coupe. I bought my first LT4 brand new and decided that I wanted another one, so a C4 was the only option. I kicked around the idea of a C6 Z06 but just like my 2002 coupe, my heart just wasn't in it. I've had a pretty extensive garage since my last Corvette, and it was the C4 that I choose. Status and expense didn't play a role, as I still have my 360 Spider (for sale if anyone is interested ). It was a purely emotional and fun for the buck based buy.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Illini Al
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes, I really wanted my C4. Money was not an object. (No, dear. I didn't really say that....)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

ok when I was 14 years living in a small town I heard that the dealer had the all new 84 corvette on the showroom floor. After school I walked to the dealership and there it was...under a cover. I asked the salesman if I could see it and he said no, they were going to unveil it for VIP customers that Saturday morning and after that I could come by. But another guy working there said ah what would it hurt? So they pulled the cover off and there it was. It was white with red leather. Those of you much youner simply cannot comprehend what a dramtic car this was in 1983. He let me climb in and turn the key so I could see the dashboard. Honestly, if aliens had landed in a spaceship I doubt it would have phased me any more than that car did.

I had always loved cars, and especially Corvettes but I had a new favorite. I still have the Road and Track guide to to the All New 84 Corvette that I bought and memorized in middle school.

So did I still want a C4 at 41? Hell yes. Are older and newer vettes still cool to me. You bet they are though I'd rather have a nice C3 than a C5...not sure if that's inconsistant but there you go.

Ironicly I never drove an 84. I do love my low mileage 89. And I set it up with a sattelite radio so I could listen to hair nation and 80's channel. It's kind of a time capsule too I guess.

cheers.

Dave
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
C4orce2
Racer

Our '92 is our 5th vette. I've owned a 64, a 71, a 02 coupe and a 03 Z06. I modifed the Z06 some and it ran great. However, I never got excited about any of them and never felt the need to join a club and show them off. All of them got sold after a couple of years. When my wife and I saw our '92 we both decided to keep it and use it as a show car and get involved in a club. I felt the need for more speed so we installed the LS3 hot cam and it became "C4orce2". We love the car even more now and regardless of how many other vettes may pass thru our garage, the '92 will always be there.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll admit it I kinda fell into the C4's. I got into Corvettes when I was about 12 or so. Started reading car magizines. This was when the C5 Z06 came out. It won comparo after comparo. I was in love. I wanted a and still do a C5 Z06 but once I had a some money after school and a decent job. I knew they where out of my price range. So I started looking around with no real direction. A guy at work said his uncle was sellling his. A 93, said I should go look at it. I did...and it was love at first site. Ruby Red 93 Coupe with a 6 speed. I fell in love with the color. Then after I drove the car the car itself. I really like the way my car feels,looks, and sounds. You never see to many clean C4's running around my parts, but I have one of them. With the chrome wheels and Ruby Red paint, plus the unmuffled exhuast it turns some heads on the street. Not bad for a 18 year old car. Turns some heads at the track too for a basically stock LT1 trap speeds of around 108-109MPH are nothing to sneeze at.

I have driven newer Corvettes they feel like well...Toyotas in comparison. Drive really smooth and nice, very fast and capable. They are missing a soul however. The C4 is perfect, civilized enough to take long trip in or drive daily. However, still rough enough around the edges to let you have some fun and feel alive. Best part is people think these C4's are expensive and newer than they actually are. Styling is still fresh for all C4's even today, especially the 91-96's.

Young kids are impressionable, I once was in a parade a couple years ago just after I un corked the exhaust. One of them in the crowd yelled out. Rev it up!!! So I did. I can still hear them cheering. I don't know who had bigger grin(s) them or me. Best part was some lady cop was standing on the parade route when I did this she just shook her head. I laughed.

Get notified of new replies

To Did you really want a C4 ?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

When I bought my first C4 there were no C5's
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Back in the Mid 80's I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in NY (got out of the car biz in 89). I used to love taking a C4 out for a spin..84-89 models. They were amazing to me. In 88 I had a client that traded his dark red 86 for a 35th anniversary car. We were only allowed one as they only built 2050 of them and Chevy had almost 6000 dealers back then. I told the attorney that bought it that I thought that was one of the most striking looking Vettes ever made. I said that I'm getting one one day....took me 13yrs but I bought one in 2001 and still think it's one of the most striking C4's ever! Yeah, I'm a bit biased!
Four yrs later I got my C3. Always wanted a Big Block matching numbers 4spd Vette! Would have preferred a C2 but two many $$$! Always loved the sharks too! I consider myself lucky to have two Vettes. The 88 is all original 36k miles and the 71 is getting a frame on with 82 k miles. Life is good and all Vettes are great!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Amethyst643
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definetly wanted a C4 over the other generations. Would also have settled for an '82 Delorean DMC-12 or a '71 Plymouth Roadrunner but theres no way I'll probably ever be able to afford either...

Quick Reply: Did you really want a C4 ?