Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Did you really want a C4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Jerry L
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, that's what I really wanted...

Yes, I really wanted a C4. Previously, I've owned an early 68 roadster, 91 (new) coupe and an 88 convertible. After retiring, I decided to buy another Vette, hopefully a "keeper". After looking at a number of pre-owned C5's & C6's, even new ones at Chevrolet dealers, I decided on a low mileage, one owner, very nice, 94 coupe. There just isn't anything else like the driveability and overall "feel" of a C4, whether cruising the open interstate or winding around narrow 2 lane highways (Blue Ridge Parkway). In my opinion, the C4 has the retro feel of a musclecar along with the practicality of being able to drive it on a daily basis if preferred.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Hendrick SS
Advanced

I owned a 96 Camaro SS and all everyone talked about was the LT4 Firehawk and the Camaro SS. I eventualy sold my SS and moved to Alaska.
After 7 years and them moving to warmer weather I deceided to look for an LT4 Camaro and I ran accross the Polo Green LT4 Vette that was owned by an older gentleman that just had knee surgery and wanted an auto.
We made the deal and I picked it up that weekend, and as I pulled in and walked up to the garage, he backed out his C5 vert auto so I could get to the LT4. He was happy and so am I.
I do love the way the cockpit makes you feel as if you're in a racecar.
Everybody comments on the car too, young and old.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
In my opinion, the C4 has the retro feel of a musclecar along with the practicality of being able to drive it on a daily basis if preferred.
My feelings exactly, couldn't have said better!

LOVE my LT4!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM
RJP3526
Heel & Toe

Default love the C4

just bought my 2nd one in Feb. Fell i love with the 86 pace car convertible (I'm a drop-top fanatic, you CANNOT find anything sweeter than the sound of that exhaust system roaring a few inches behind you head, the fresh air & sunshine!) - bought my first 86 roadster in 1997 in FL. Had it for about 6 years, loved every minute of it (triple black, gorgeous, and only about 20k miles on it too). Kicked myself in the *** about 1,000 times in the years since I sold that car. I've had every kind of vehicle, motorcycles, hummers, all types of trucks & sports cars (my first vehicle was a '69 Firebird 400 with ram air so I was weened on speed from day 1). So ever since I sold the black roadster I was missing the C4 so badly. Finally I got one this past Feb. I live in MD and it was all the way out near Malibu, CA. Gorgeous, metallic gold (champagne) 86 pace car convertible again. Beautiful condition, only downside was mileage this time, it had just over 100k on it. But compression, oil pressure, etc all good so far, and runs Great. If this engine does ever go I will either get it rebuilt or get a new engine put in, I really love the car. The prior owner had just put new convertible top on, big savings there. All I did was replace stock wheels which I never liked with slightly larger chrome C6-style 5-star wheels, new soft & sticky hi-po tires (found out on last C4 that right tire makes a night & day difference in improved smoother ride on these cars). Dropped the mufflers and resonator, replaced with straight pipe. Sounds superb.
So for just a few grand, I have a gorgeous vette convertible, customized to my taste, and gets compliments constantly. Forgot to add, when I flew out to CA to pick it up and drive it back x-country to MD, (one of my bucket list items) I took southern route I40 thru the beautiful mountains & deserts of CA, AZ, NM, etc. Just an incredibly beautiful drive if you ever get chance to do it. Drove on many sections of old Route 66 too, which was SO cool. And doing that drive with the top down in your corvette, what more could you ASK for !! It was just SO much damn fun, I can't tell you how great that trip was. Yes I love my C4, but only the convertible for me, please !! Great car, super prices (for now anyway).
Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I love my C4s! New found respect for the ZR-1 after headers and exhaust.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
RJP3526
Heel & Toe

Default forgot one other amazing thing about c4's

I meant to include on last post, on that long 3500 mile trip from the pacific ocean to the atlantic ocean in Feb 2011, I was totally amazed to see my average mileage for that week of driving was over 30mpg!! Almost 31 !! And believe me, the speed Limits out west in no-man's land are 75 to 80 plus mph, so this car was MOVING heading east on the interstate highway. Up in the mountains in AZ, I decided to open it up a little & see what it would do before it started shaking or getting squirrelly on me - I think it was up near Flagstaff, but anyhow, I am way up high in this mountain pass, wide open roads, no cars around right, I could see pretty far ahead & behind too me, just perfect spot to open up, so I slowly went from about 70 mph up, up, up, til I got her up to about 125 mph - cruised smooth as a silk, smooth, no vibration, nada. Then, I come around a long winding bend in the highway, still up in the mountains (keep in mind a long winding bend does not take long to get around at 125 clicks) - and guess what? A damn AZ state trooper is sitting in the median parked with radar gun !! No ****. I said great this will be a nice big ticket - he pulls out, finally catches up to me (he is in some kind of new dodge charger or challenger, I'm sure with the larger hi-po hemi, or maybe a viper engine for all I know). Pulls up along side of me in the left lane, I thought, oh **** here we go, pull over and get in lots of trouble. He slows down right next to me on my left, lets out a real big smile, and puts his right thumb up in the air to me - !!!! I was so surprised man. Apparently he either loved corvettes too, or was in a good mood & decided to let me off. Whatever the case, god bless his pointy little head. Whoever you are trooper, THANK YOU !! He trounced the gas & took off in a puff of smoke down the highway in front of me, probably going well over 100mph. Whew that was close. Then about 5 minutes later, I see him turning around in the median, going after some poor sucker going in the opposite direction. That guy should have had a C4 too I guess !!! LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 PM
fxr4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
...and we're off.

That is funny as hell! Still laughing......!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 PM
94Ad Blue
Instructor

For me it was not only to have a C4, but the 1994 year AND the Admiral Blue.... Yeppers, I am very happy.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Saubrenner
Advanced

I have to admit, I bad mouthed the C4 since the day it came out. I thought they were the ugliest Corvette ever. I had a 79 but I took it with me to Germany and sold it there. I always wanted a 69-72 and last year I sold a 72 Nova to get one. I had 2 of the Nova's and 1 of almost every other Chevy that I like. Remember personal preferences are just that. Any way I bought a 72 Corvette with no motor to restore to driver quality. I've been working on it but I'm slow.
A couple of months ago I decided to sell the 01 Wrangler I was driving to work and buy something easier on gas. I was tooking at later Impala's and Malibu's. I own a 65 Chevelle and a 63 Impala, I didn't want to stray too far. Then I realized that the C4 was possibly the most unloved Corvette and they are affordable. I found a 93 Quasar blue with C5 wheels and tires for a couple of thousand less than I sold my Jeep for. As you guys have probably figured out, I love driving the thing, I don't freak out if it gets rained on (even though it lives in the garage) and I can just get in and drive. You guys did a lot to help me decide to buy one and I appreciate it. I'd still like to have C5 and I probably will but I can afford to keep this one as well.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 AM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Growing up in the 1980's and the early 1990's when someone says "Corvette" my mind thinks of a C4. Even before I knew the term "C4" or "C3"...

My earliest car memory is riding in my uncle's new '84. I though he got that car from the future or outer space.. They where the car to beat in highschool..

I really have no desire to own another generation vette.. they just arnt on my radar.

I'ed like an all stock '84 and a nice '96 to beat on and mod. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 AM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really didn't plan on being a C-4 guy. Had many C-2's & C-3's and was planning on another C-2 when drove a 6-speed 89 and was hooked! that was middle 90's and still driving but starting to think resto-mod C-2 with C-4 suspension might be a nice choice! Love them all but don't fit in C-1's well.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Yep....I wanted a ZR-1...........but even then I didn't know how special they were until after becoming an owner. Didn't think it would ever be a reality given how expensive, and exclusive they were new! Sometimes, I would look into the garage, and just feel good, that I finally owned what was sitting there in the garage! I also bought primarily for mechanicl reasons of the ZR-1, and didn't truly appreciate the styling of the C-4 before I bought. I though it was ok, but it was only after seeing it a lot, and at many different angles, that I really began to appreciate the styling.........it really does look pretty sinister from a lot of different angles! I really like my '73 big block car, but when it came to sell one, it was a no brainer!

Gotta love that Quasar Blue!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

My first was a '77 I bought in 1989, could not afford a chrome bumper at that time so bought the next best thing. 6 years later sold it (regret) and had some other fun cars for few years. In 2000 I wanted a Vette again and bought a '91 L98 Coupe. And then again in 2007 a '70 454 Coupe. Still have the '91 and the '70. These are the two models I prefer over any other Vettes: late model C4 and chrome bumper C3.

Other generations IMHO: C1 - nice but too small, C2 - idunno why they do not appeal to me, C3 rubber - nice but chrome is nicer, C4 early - ok but was perfected in late model, C5 - Mazda RX-7 with a fat ***, C6 - trying so much to be eurosport, C7 - too pointy and ugly rear, C8 - trying to be one of the italosports. IMO Vettes have gone worse and worse after late C4. Do not plan to buy any of them in the future.

Last edited by ToniH; 06-17-2019 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1985 Vette (06-17-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The only Corvettes want more than my current 1995 LT1 6-speed is the 2012 Z06 Centennial edition and the C7 Grand Sport.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It was cheap, was looking for an 02 SS at the time. Never been a "corvette guy" just cars in general
Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Manny years ago I drove and nearly wrecked a 1990 coupe that my best friend owned. Tried to buy it when he got into some financial issues but the car was just to far gone for my budget. As the years went on I really wanted a C5 but it was never in the cards. The C4 I have now for lack of better words fell into my lap and wouldn't sell it for anything.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

No, I did not want a C4, it's called budget ...

Get notified of new replies

To Did you really want a C4 ?

Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 PM
tgurnick
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a neat old revived thread. When I bought my 85 I DIDN'T want a 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird because several friends had those already. I had built a smallblock to swap into my old daily S10 but that wasn't realistic. C3's that weren't basket cases were too expensive. C5's were LS and way expensive still. So C4.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I remember some of these folks.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 PM
M1917
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I was considering a C5, but wanted and couldn't afford a C6 let alone a C7. Was on e-bay one Friday night and stumbled across a C4 vert 6 speed. It ticked off all the boxes for me, especially the price. I would love to have the LS engine combo of the newer cars. But, life is full of compromises. I'm happy with what I have

Quick Reply: Did you really want a C4 ?