C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Nasa's Corvette Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
lostnfoundC4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nasa's Corvette Connection

I came across this article about astronauts and their vettes. I wonder if some of these cars are still around.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...te-connection/
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grissom's 1967

I remember reading that Gus Grissom's 1967 sold a few years back. I'd imagine those boys rode them hard.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

the wife and i visited the kennedy space center last year, and alan shepard's 68 white vert was on display next to the saturn 5 moon rocket -

BTW, back in 1984, i turned down a job with lockheed at the space center - position was a test engineer on the shuttle's OMP's (orbital maneuvering system/reaction control system pods). to this day, i regret that decision.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C
the wife and i visited the kennedy space center last year, and alan shepard's 68 white vert was on display next to the saturn 5 moon rocket -

BTW, back in 1984, i turned down a job with lockheed at the space center - position was a test engineer on the shuttle's OMP's (orbital maneuvering system/reaction control system pods). to this day, i regret that decision.
I saw the same car last week at KSC. its a 427 car also ! How about that Saturn 5 parked next to it...
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 PM
DebCar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what happened to all the astronaut vettes? What were the VINs?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DebCar
Does anyone know what happened to all the astronaut vettes? What were the VINs?
If its the 3 black and gold ones your speaking about only 1 survives and is owned by a private owner.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:34 PM
captcfd23
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there are several still around. Some have received more attention than others, Alan Bean's 69, Gus Grissom's 67, Neal Armstrong's 67 in particular, but others are out there. Ill go ahead and tell you, unless something major has changed GM nor the Museum have any records on them. I'm also afraid that when Mr. Rathmann sold his dealership years ago those records were also lost. He has since passed away, so the chances of tracing a cars history are getting more difficult with each passing year.

Last edited by captcfd23; 05-31-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:17 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C

Wow, how I can identify with what you wrote! I did a design for a local subcontractor back in 1981 while in college, and was offered a job at NASA right after graduation. Like you I turned down the job because I didn't want to move to TX. BTW... the design was a solar energy motor controller that went in to the final shuttle design works. Talk about regrets... but I have the vette!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by jpipx
Wow, how I can identify with what you wrote! I did a design for a local subcontractor back in 1981 while in college, and was offered a job at NASA right after graduation. Like you I turned down the job because I didn't want to move to TX. BTW... the design was a solar energy motor controller that went in to the final shuttle design works. Talk about regrets... but I have the vette!
I hear ya! even after 33 years, I STILL regret that decision. that was a once in a lifetime thing - not one person in ten-thousand gets that opportunity. what triggered the whole NASA thing was working as a test engineer on a re-entry simulator at WPAFB. I did spend my final working years as a development engineer on flight simulators and aircraft maintenance trainers - mostly tactical fighters. overall, it was good, but i'll always have the regrets .

Last edited by Joe C; 05-31-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nasa's Corvette Connection

Quick Reply: Nasa's Corvette Connection