Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 PM
david frederick
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4+3

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Nothing personal zr1fred, but this is These type comments usually come from someone who doesn't and probably never owned one. About 90% of the C4's of that era came with automatics. Very few came with manual transmissions. The manual transmissions are what most guys seem to like in a Vette these days. These have become VERY desireable in an early C4. The 4+3 is a very reliable and very strong T10 4 speed transmission with overdrive options. New owners need to be educated on how to use and maintain them. PM me and I'll be glad to give you any info you want on them. Most negativity on a 4+3 is spread by owners who beat the h-ll out of them and didn't know how to use them or maintain them.
would like to have any info. on this trans. tks. df3755@yahoo.com Ohio.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_74
Do like I did, go with a 245/50R16. My family owns a tire store, and after searching exhaustively for the original size tires, I settled on this option with my '84. The difference in size is negligible, and should barely affect your speedometer.

Plus, the 255's were around $120+ when (and if) I could find any, and the 245's were, let's say, less than $90. That was for a well respected national brand with a slightly lower speed rating than the originals.
255's are 10 1/8" wide while 245's are 9 3/4" wide.

FWIW
Old 05-21-2011, 01:21 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by robsball
It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the 4+3 and I'm guessing its a manual transmission...right? If this is wrong, then please totally disregard this post. : )

My thoughts are with a car as fast as this, its a safety issue for me to have both hands on the wheel. I can drive manual, my 89 subaru xt is 5 speed, but its a 4 cyclinder, now boys and girls, how fast do you think that goes?

I would have bought my C4 regardless of the transmission being auto or manual. But automatic sure is nice.
Safety issue? There is no safety issue with having one hand on the steering wheel while you shift. Consider that the most Powerful Corvettes could ONLY be purchased with a manual:

Solid lifter C1s - manual Only
Solid lifter small block C2s (including all fuel injection engines) - manual Only
Solid lifter big block C2 (L72, L71, L88) - manual only
C4 ZR-1 - manual Only
C4 LT4 - manual only
C5 Z06 - manual only
C6 Z06 - manual only
C6 ZR1 - manual only
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
David Sizemore
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 vetre

Originally Posted by zr1fred
If its a car you really want, go for it. The chances of resale would be very small, unless it's a small market (no competition). Unless the car is mint (which doesn't sound like the case) under $6000, and that is only because of the miles. The miles are very easy to "adjust" on the 84-89 vettes, so make sure you verify them. From a marketing and reliability stand point, the 4+3 is not a plus.
Am buying 88 automatic c4.4000.00 black, well maintained, adult owned corvette enthusiasts. I feel it is good deal..but I haven't bought a vette in many years..am I on the mark??
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
Looking at pulling the trigger on a 88. Let me describe it and see what you guys think its worth. I trust and value your opinion and I'm anxious to hear what you guys think.

It is a 1988 with 60000 miles. The interior is in pretty good shape. Dual power seats, good tires but they may be older, clear coat de-lamination issues on the back deck only, the rest of the paint is quite good and the body has no damage.

Dash is in good shape, no cracks, everything works but for the power mirrors, wipers, AC and right headlight won't come all the way up.

Under the hood looks great, bone stock and again quite nice.

Car is the 4+3 trans.

Thanks guys....looking forward to your opinion.

Marc
I'm wondering if it has more issues ... Sounds like a $4,000 car.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by David Sizemore
Am buying 88 automatic c4.4000.00 black, well maintained, adult owned corvette enthusiasts. I feel it is good deal..but I haven't bought a vette in many years..am I on the mark??
Check "SOLD LISTINGS" on ebay to see what it has sold for and not the wishful thinking of Craigslist.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a good look at the tires. My son bought a Vette that had nice treads and no dry rot on the side walls. But I missed the cracking in between the treads. And he shredded all four tires one by one.

Quick Reply: Value of 88 I'm thinking of buying????