C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 11:06 AM
Kjdad
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spark plug wires

Wow...I think my 86 has the og wires still. And man did GM route them tough on the drivers side! My knuckles are skinless now!

Popular Reply

03-31-2024, 01:51 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by IHBD
Joe. I'm pretty sure the OP isn't concerned about "the way it will run" without the nubs or retainer, because it obviously doesn't make a doodly-squat difference in performance. Some of us favor originality, myself included; he's lamenting the deviation in originality with the missing nubs.

My 85's born-with plug wires went bad with the car sitting in storage. It ran 4,500 miles in 10 days in July 2016 and didn't skip a beat. I didn't drive it again until April 2017 when I got in it to go to Vegas (300 miles one way) for an event. It was misfiring just putting down my street. I didn't have time to deal with it, so off I went. If I stayed out of it, it ran ok, if I had to lean on it, it broke up and misfired. I had 300 miles to get a feel for what could be wrong, and it acted like "wires", so when I got to the event, I ohmed them and found 3 with high resistance. I ordered a set from the Bullhead City FLAPS, put them on temporarily (left the originals in the holders) to get home, and changed them permanently at my leisure.

So I got 31 years out of my OEM wires.

I'm pretty sure my wires don't have the nubs either, but I re-installed the retainer without them. Best I could do to preserve as much originality as possible.
i hear ya, and to be truthful, i used to think like that, but as time goes on, to me, such things start to hold less and less value. my take - the world only needs so many museum pieces. don't get me wrong, i like originality but to a point. my rule on things is form, fit, and function, and those cap rings have little function. adhering to the strict letter of originality used to drive me nuts (besides costing me a lot of money). my 85 is a daily driver. i keep it clean and well maintained, and i drive it in all kinds of weather. it may not be 100% original, but it's close enough for me. i don't want it judged, and i don't need no stinking trophy. here's my L98 - i'm sure you could pick this thing apart, but you're one of the few. anyway, whatever floats your boat. as long as you're having fun, and that's what it's all about. peace....

Old 03-30-2024, 03:32 PM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,295 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If the wires that came off had the individual cylinder number, they were born-with. If they didn't, they weren't.

See the "2"?

The following 3 users liked this post by IHBD:
mazdaverx7 (04-02-2024), SirReal63 (04-02-2024), yakmastermax (03-31-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 05:27 PM
Kjdad
Advanced

If the wires that came off had the individual cylinder number, they were born-with. If they didn't, they weren't.

See the "2"?

Yep..they are identical to that. Im kinda bummed the new delco set doesnt have the nub for the cap ring.. that's going to bother me.

Im honestly debating on ohming the old ones out and cleaning them to reuse them...I'm weird like that..since the new ones are nubless.
The following users liked this post:
BoeingDriver (03-31-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 06:00 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kjdad
Yep..they are identical to that. Im kinda bummed the new delco set doesnt have the nub for the cap ring.. that's going to bother me.

Im honestly debating on ohming the old ones out and cleaning them to reuse them...I'm weird like that..since the new ones are nubless.
i've been running after-market plug wires on my 85 for some 25+ years now without nubs and that cap ring. 140K miles w/o plug wire and cap ring issues. you're putting way too much thought into this. ...just my 2-cents.

Last edited by Joe C; 03-30-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:02 PM
Kjdad
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe C
i've been running after-market plug wires on my 85 for some 25+ years now without nubs and that cap ring. 140K miles w/o plug wire and cap ring issues. you're putting way too much thought into this. ...just my 2-cents.
I am...it's a sickness..
IHBD (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 12:04 AM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,295 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Joe. I'm pretty sure the OP isn't concerned about "the way it will run" without the nubs or retainer, because it obviously doesn't make a doodly-squat difference in performance. Some of us favor originality, myself included; he's lamenting the deviation in originality with the missing nubs.

My 85's born-with plug wires went bad with the car sitting in storage. It ran 4,500 miles in 10 days in July 2016 and didn't skip a beat. I didn't drive it again until April 2017 when I got in it to go to Vegas (300 miles one way) for an event. It was misfiring just putting down my street. I didn't have time to deal with it, so off I went. If I stayed out of it, it ran ok, if I had to lean on it, it broke up and misfired. I had 300 miles to get a feel for what could be wrong, and it acted like "wires", so when I got to the event, I ohmed them and found 3 with high resistance. I ordered a set from the Bullhead City FLAPS, put them on temporarily (left the originals in the holders) to get home, and changed them permanently at my leisure.

I'm pretty sure my wires don't have the nubs either, but I re-installed the retainer without them. Best I could do to preserve as much originality as possible.
The following 3 users liked this post by IHBD:
kenmohr (04-01-2024), SirReal63 (04-02-2024), yakmastermax (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 01:51 AM
Joe C
Race Director

i hear ya, and to be truthful, i used to think like that, but as time goes on, to me, such things start to hold less and less value. my take - the world only needs so many museum pieces. don't get me wrong, i like originality but to a point. my rule on things is form, fit, and function, and those cap rings have little function. adhering to the strict letter of originality used to drive me nuts (besides costing me a lot of money). my 85 is a daily driver. i keep it clean and well maintained, and i drive it in all kinds of weather. it may not be 100% original, but it's close enough for me. i don't want it judged, and i don't need no stinking trophy. here's my L98 - i'm sure you could pick this thing apart, but you're one of the few. anyway, whatever floats your boat. as long as you're having fun, and that's what it's all about. peace....

Last edited by Joe C; 03-31-2024 at 04:29 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Joe C:
89corvettemann (04-02-2024), mazdaverx7 (04-02-2024), Natty C (04-02-2024), puufgone (Today), sb66 (04-02-2024), SirReal63 (04-02-2024), Whaleman (Today), yakmastermax (03-31-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:28 AM
Kjdad
Advanced

I went ahead and installed the new wires as a few of the originals are not going to work. But...with my sickness I might keep the original stuff..I know..why... it's funny..I have a 98 mustang drag car and an 84 rabbit race car and I'll use whatever it takes to keep them going including zip ties and jb weld..this corvette is all original with 77k miles and is from a family member that loved it and sadly passed away. I feel it's my duty to him to get it back into shape and drive it. Plus I like to keep things as engineers designed them.

But yes life is short..and better not to sweat the small stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kjdad:
IHBD (03-31-2024), SirReal63 (04-02-2024), weeles (04-02-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Kilobuck84
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Or change the boots for ones with nubs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8849
Old 04-02-2024, 06:53 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I replaced the original wires on my 84 and I kept them in a box. The second set gave up the ghost late last fall and I parked the car and ordered a set of AC Delco replacement spark plug wires. They are not an exact fit unfortunately, and some are too long and had to be routed somewhat awkwardly. At the end of the day they look nice and perform well, but I do miss having the original wires on the car. I've debated a lot over replacement parts because I prefer to have everything original. I've just come to to conclusion that many thing wear out and what can be rebuilt, will be rebuilt, and what must be replaced will be replaced.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:31 PM
Joe C
Race Director

from what i know about GM plug wires, each cylinder and each year, have a specific part number. original wires were ID'd with a cylinder number most likely as a production aid. time is money on an assembly line and the line techs don't need to second quess anything. when installing GM service replacement, you must compare lengths to originals or go by source data. some lengths are close to each other, and if you get things mixed up, it could be a nightmare. i've found GM replacements as well as some other brands are pretty much spot on, BUT they have to be routed per factory specs - any deviation will cause problems. if you're **** about routing, wires should fit with factory accuracy. i like taylor wires and found they fit L98's quite well.
SirReal63 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:52 PM
SirReal63
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

I just wanted to say that is an extremely clean engine bay! You are to be commended on achieving that. I would love to make mine that clean but alas I live off a dirt road and it would never stay that for more than a day or two.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Atheism01
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTB OE spark plug wires.

Anyone out there wants to sell their old OE spark plug wires with the cylinder number printed on them. 1986

Condition is not important.

Will try to have them duplicated.

Thank you.

Michael Reichard

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wires

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires