C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures

Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Recieved 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you Polo, it is a lot of fun having the ability to "play" out side of the box so to speak.

I will post more as I get the last bits put together.

Mo
Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
I am wondering if GM is calling Mo to get engineering insights to making the electric version of the C8 (I'll bet they do an electric C8 someday).
That would be cool! right now I'm pretty much the mad scientist of the neighborhood... LOL
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

So I was able to do a little more work this weekend...

Motors and controllers are in and placed. the battery chargers are to the right.

Controller cables are installed on the controllers.

High Voltage cables installed

I still am working out the motor mounts.

Obviously more to come!

MO
Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM
UV231 Project
CF Member

Recieved 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mo's Electric Corvette - Lot of Pictures

Hey Wayne, Have you had time to dress up and secure the wiring? Have you taken it out yet?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by UV231 Project View Post
Hey Wayne, Have you had time to dress up and secure the wiring? Have you taken it out yet?
funny you should ask.

Shortly after taking this picture, I was commissioning the motors and ran into a glitch.

I called and they had shipped the right serial numbers, shipped them in the right boxes, but accidentally shipped the wrong motors.

I had to completely tear tear everything down again to ship the motors back.

So, the correct motors have shipped and are supposed to be here the 26th. So I get to repeat the process. The upside is I have gone through this once so the next time should be much quicker. At least the controllers have been programmed so it should be a matter of just commissioning the motors, finishing the motor mounts.

I will post updates once the motors arrive “ again”...

thanks!
Mo
Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 AM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Sorry it has been so long since an update.
It has been crazy, the new motors are delivered and installed.

Long story, short, I was commissioning the motors and apparently blew both of my shorty power glides! So after swapping two power glides, I decided I was finished with them.

So I'm going direct drive with a 1.9:1 gear reduction box with my stock 3.07 rear end. Imagine running from 0-7800 rpm in first gear! 0- 105 mph without shifting! 6.14:1 overall gear ratio.

So I will be running essentially direct drive (below). So I will have the 3 buttons shown below to Select "Park" "Reverse " and "Forward". If say the reverse button accidently gets pushed while in drive, he controller will essentially cost the motors to 0 rpm and it defeats the throttle to keep from destroying the drive train and yet allow you to safely either pull over or just reselect the forward button.

Mine will not have the parking Pawl attached to it.

The button pictures below are inaccurate, Park will be red, reverse will be blue and forward will be green. They only have Red, Green, Blue and White Latching buttons.

The Torque Box weighs 35 pounds and is 12 inches long, so I will have to get a longer driveshaft. It looks like it may be up to an 8 weeks to get the torque box, I guess after waiting a year for the motors what's another 2 months :P

Attached are some pictures of the car thus far it is coming together.

Drive ( which is now green).

red is park, green is drive bluse is reverse, I have since changed the order so it is P,R,D as in all automatics

Still working on 3d printing the meter console.

The new motors in and siamesed together, running dual 14V 650 amp controllers.

The battery chargers the white box is mainly to clean up the managery of wire clutter.

drivers side view

Last edited by Mo_Bandy; 04-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Mr. Peabody
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Once again ......... really impressive. Thank you so much for sharing all of this. On your web site you might consider a darker font for the detail paragraphs; the light blue is too difficult for these old eyes to read.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody View Post
Once again ......... really impressive. Thank you so much for sharing all of this. On your web site you might consider a darker font for the detail paragraphs; the light blue is too difficult for these old eyes to read.
Hey Mr. Peabody, Thank you for the suggestion, I actually went in and did some updates as well as darken the font. It was one of the canned pages.

Thanks again,
MO
Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM
colo63sw
CF Senior Member

Recieved 53 Likes on 48 Posts

A shame you haft to run direct drive. Seems like that would eliminate some low end performance to accommodate a respectable top end.

Keep up the great work!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Mo_Bandy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
A shame you haft to run direct drive. Seems like that would eliminate some low end performance to accommodate a respectable top end.

Keep up the great work!
Hey Colo63sw,

Thank you!
Actually no that isn’t the case. The motors make 340ft/lbs from 0-about 5000 RPM. Redline is 8000 rpm. The torque curve on electric motors is almost direct opposite of an internal combustion.

So it is essentially like running in low gear all the time. My Chevy Bolt is almost identical in that regard. With the powerglide my launches with first gear, I was pulling .76 G’s on launch with street tires.

With the powerglide I was running 1.80:1 the Torque Box is 1.90:1 which is of course a touch taller. I am sacrificing a bit at the top end, with the 2 speed powerglide top speed at 7500 rpm would be about 135 mph.

Actually i am fine with it, it tremendously simplifies things in regards to trans slipping and the trans pump ( because there was no torque converter).

So once the torque box arrives I will have more updates.

Thanks,
Mo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: