C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstripping Latex vs. Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
golfkng
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstripping Latex vs. Rubber

Eckler's shows a couple of different weatherstripping kits, and was wondering what the difference would be between latex and rubber?
What is EDPM material? Has anyone bought either of these two kits from Eckler's and how did they work? Should you also buy the weatherstrip retainers or can you reuse the old ones? Need to replace weatherstripping on my '85 so need some advice as to which way to go.

Thanks for you help.

Corvette Body Weatherstrip Kit, Coupe Latex, 1984-1996
Reproduction Or Original
New Softer Compound
Latex Construction
Better Fit & Seal Qualities
Includes Doors, Front Roof, Rear Roof & Side Roof Weatherstrips
6-Piece Kit

Corvette Weatherstrip Kit, Coupe, 1984-1989
Reproduction Of Original
Made In USA
EDPM Material
7-Piece Kit
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
c4speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the Latex, thats what came on the car
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replace the weatherstripping on my 91. If the retainers are cheap, go ahead and get them. It's not that you can't do it without, but it will drop about 30 mins to an hour off since you don't have to scrape the old contents out. I suggest getting the kit for the ENTIRE car. Might as well do it all at once. It's not a project that will take up your whole weekend, but it's not a short task either.

Latex lasts a LOT longer, but is less malleable than rubber. Rubber gets nice and soft especially when it's hot. With rubber, the footprint of the seal between the weatherstripping and the surface will be bigger. It cracks faster though.

It's one of the easiest ways to bring some of the new look back into your car. I posted a thread about the project not too long ago. I didn't do the hatch at the same time and I'm regretting it. You can see the weatherstripping retainers in the picture. You have to scrape out all the glue and old latex crud from inside the roll. HUGE PITA.
New weatherstripping install
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
RedGS
Instructor

I purchased the latex for mine initially on the b pillar piece. It looked great, nice and soft, but after a few weeks its like the texture got tacky, and it started trying to stick to the glass. Eventually the glass would rip it when I opened the door on a hot day. I didnt get the ecklers version, but it was one of their competitors. They stood behind the part and I tried a second one, and it did the same thing, this time so severe that the outer smooth skin stuck to the glass like it had been glued on. This texas heat is tough but I still expect it to hold up better than that. They stood behind it again and this time i am swapping to rubber. We'll see how well it holds up.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGS
I purchased the latex for mine initially on the b pillar piece. It looked great, nice and soft, but after a few weeks its like the texture got tacky, and it started trying to stick to the glass. Eventually the glass would rip it when I opened the door on a hot day. I didnt get the ecklers version, but it was one of their competitors. They stood behind the part and I tried a second one, and it did the same thing, this time so severe that the outer smooth skin stuck to the glass like it had been glued on. This texas heat is tough but I still expect it to hold up better than that. They stood behind it again and this time i am swapping to rubber. We'll see how well it holds up.
Use some white lithium grease to prevent sticking. My targa was getting harder and harder to take off and the B pillar gasket almost came off with the top. I rubbed in some lithium grease and havent had a problem since. The grease helps keep the weatherstrips new looking as well.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
RedGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Use some white lithium grease to prevent sticking. My targa was getting harder and harder to take off and the B pillar gasket almost came off with the top. I rubbed in some lithium grease and havent had a problem since. The grease helps keep the weatherstrips new looking as well.
I actually did that on this second one but it still managed to stick and rip. I think its just bad luck on my part. It was a nice quality part otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstripping Latex vs. Rubber

Quick Reply: Weatherstripping Latex vs. Rubber