whats better rubber, foam or latex weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
lilspit1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whats better rubber, foam or latex weatherstripping

I have to replace weatherstripping on my 94 coupe.

I had the weatherstripping a couple of years ago with weatherstripping made off shore it has not held up well.

What is better rubber, foam or latex? Where would folks recommend I look for quality weatherstripping?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I'd use CorvetteRubber thru Willcox Corvette, though you MAY want to consider springing for the OEM stuff for the A and B pillars. FWIW, I think softer WS results in a better seal around the door windows. For the door and hatch seals, CorvetteRubber is a wonderful product!!!! Willcox is even better as a vendor.

I doubt I'd ever use latex and bet it degrades the fastest. Foam may be what the OEM stuff is though covered in a rubber sheath?

Can't speak to materials as much as what I've tried -- and read here.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also used wilcox, excellent quality, price, and he's a vender on this site.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have used Lonestar.. too hard

I currently have pieces from Melrose T-Top they are softer, B pillar seems good, A pillar is a bit harder then OEM

Keen Parts offers Latex, which I bought the A pillar but have yet to install. FWIW Keen parts did say that GM OEM is also latex..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
lilspit1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a complete kit from lonestar a couple of years ago and that is what I am replacing. I find if I don't lubricate the front header strip the targa top sticks to the rubber. When removing the top it has pulled the rubber out of the tracks.The molding has also degraded.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

OEM GM weatherstrip is made of latex. There are now many suppliers offering latex as an upgrade to rubber. It's more expensive than the aftermarket rubber weatherstrip that was the only thing availble to us other than the very expensive OEM latex still sold by GM.

Latex weatherstripping is softer and seals better in some places, like around the windows and targa top. Some forum members have tried the new aftermarket latex weatherstrip and found it to be too soft... attaching to the window glass when its very hot out and tairing. So the jury is still out it. It's not as good as OEM latex.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspit1
I used a complete kit from lonestar a couple of years ago and that is what I am replacing. I find if I don't lubricate the front header strip the targa top sticks to the rubber. When removing the top it has pulled the rubber out of the tracks.The molding has also degraded.
I am glad I checked this thread as I was considering buying some weatherstrip from these folks. I will stick with Willcox.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
c4speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspit1

Get notified of new replies

To whats better rubber, foam or latex weatherstripping

Quick Reply: whats better rubber, foam or latex weatherstripping