C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Setting timing on a cross-fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Setting timing on a cross-fire

I have an'84 with cross-fire engine. I accidentally rotated by distributor a little when working around the throttle body and need to reset my timing. From two people on another forum that had 1979-1982 Vettes and/or Camaros, I understand a single tan wire with black stripe from the distributor must be disconnected to stop the computer from controlling timing in order to set timing with a timing light. One said it was behind the passenger valve cover with a single wire connector. Another said on driver side of distributor into single connector. The only single connector I have is a short white wire with single connector hanging from distributor on driver side. Can somebody help me locate where I am to disconnect on an '84 cross-fire? The timing mark isn't even close to the scale and is out-of-site, so I cannot set timing with light.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jsanders
I have an'84 with cross-fire engine. I accidentally rotated by distributor a little when working around the throttle body and need to reset my timing. From two people on another forum that had 1979-1982 Vettes and/or Camaros, I understand a single tan wire with black stripe from the distributor must be disconnected to stop the computer from controlling timing in order to set timing with a timing light. One said it was behind the passenger valve cover with a single wire connector. Another said on driver side of distributor into single connector. The only single connector I have is a short white wire with single connector hanging from distributor on driver side. Can somebody help me locate where I am to disconnect on an '84 cross-fire? The timing mark isn't even close to the scale and is out-of-site, so I cannot set timing with light.
I found the tan/black wire, disconnected it, set timing to 6 degrees BTDC and reconnected the wire. As told by someone else the Check Engine light will come on after reconnecting wire, so I disconnected negative battery cable for 10 seconds and reconnected. Engine started fine but Check Engine light comes on at same time engine RPM increases idle speed. It is not too high but high enough it would jerk the transmission when put in gear. Any recommendations how to get Check Engine light off and advanced idle to stop?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

I found the tan/black wire, disconnected it, set timing to 6 degrees BTDC and reconnected the wire. As told by someone else the Check Engine light will come on after reconnecting wire, so I disconnected negative battery cable for 10 seconds and reconnected. Engine started fine but Check Engine light comes on at same time engine RPM increases idle speed. It is not too high but high enough it would jerk the transmission when put in gear. Any recommendations how to get Check Engine light off and advanced idle to stop?
Was I supposed to remove a vacuum line somewhere when setting the timing as we did in the old days?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
84cfi
Racer

Was I supposed to remove a vacuum line somewhere when setting the timing as we did in the old days?
No you don't need to disconnect the vacuum line. You might want to check the timing again, did you check it when the wire was connected? You could bump the timing up a bit. Make sure you are 6 degrees and not - 6 degrees. Did you find the 0 mark.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 84 is like the 82 I had with crossfire then the advice you were given is correct. Buy the GM Shop manual if you can. It is a wealth of information and will tell you exactly how to do this. You can find the manuals on Ebay
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Thanks 84cfi. I found my problem. It was a vacuum line that blew off when backfiring when setting timing. I reconnected it and set timing with the gray/black wire disconnected at connector by brake booster. After re-checking timing, I left the gray/black wire and battery cable disconnected overnight. Next day I plugged gray/black wire and reconnected battery and Check Engine light is now off and engine does not idle high. Again, thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluesilver82
If the 84 is like the 82 I had with crossfire then the advice you were given is correct. Buy the GM Shop manual if you can. It is a wealth of information and will tell you exactly how to do this. You can find the manuals on Ebay
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1972 C3 Vette in good condition. I remember years ago, someone told me not to buy a C3 prior to 1976 because they had some front suspension problems and would not stay together. What do you know about this?
Old 03-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Nostrashawnus
Intermediate

Default Frustration on picking a wire

I hate to add to an old thread, but I have the service manual and am not a total idiot, but I STILL can't get the timing correct and find the correct wire to disconnect.
I am adding some pictures, will someone please take this Vette noob by the hand and point out the correct wire to disconnect?

Old 03-11-2016, 12:50 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

set the timing to 8 deg. not stock 6 !!! more fun car to drive !! any engine mods ??
Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Nostrashawnus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
set the timing to 8 deg. not stock 6 !!! more fun car to drive !! any engine mods ??
It is stock except for a performance chip. Will that affect the 8 deg? I'm not sure of the specs of the chip.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:57 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostrashawnus
It is stock except for a performance chip. Will that affect the 8 deg? I'm not sure of the specs of the chip.
no !
Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Scottie1984
1st Gear

Default 1984 timing

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
no !
I found my tan with black stripe wire in the conduit leading to the map sensor. Drivers side

Last edited by Scottie1984; 06-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If you have trouble rotating your distributor enough to set it to 8* BTDC, your distributor may be one tooth off! The terminal block on the side of the distributor is normally just about parallel with the firewall (perpendicular to the centerline of the engine). If you can set the timing okay, don't worry about it.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

You can generally get away with 10-12* as long as your motor doesn't ping under load. If it does, back it off one degree at a time until it goes away. A lot of times the EST wire is buried deep under the bundle and can be a PITA to find. To ensure you found the right wire, you can look at the timing with the wire disconnected and then reconnected. The timing will move if you changed it when the ECM takes over again. A GM Service Manual is pretty much a MUST with a car that is 30+ years old and maintain it. Good Luck.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 07-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting timing on a cross-fire

Quick Reply: Setting timing on a cross-fire