Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hardtop (item 434053) for convertible?

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardtop (item 434053) for convertible?

Do any of you have this type of alternative for the convertible? Any thoughts about it (whether you own one or not )

Wife wants one......I do not, but what can I say, she goes along with the whole project and there are a few things that I need.

1-paint front bumper
2-drivers seat arm re-upholstered (has sports seats)
3-replace dash light bulbs
4-lower rubber outside on door glass L & R
5-fix carpet on door panels at top--the yellow foam is showing

What do you think of the hardtop.....she actually wants the black vinyl and it is $2499....wow!

Last edited by Jayhawk62; 08-21-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: more info necessary about part # @ Corvette Central
Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

There used to be a black or grey smoothline hardtop that had a covering over it.

I might have a smooth line for sale soon.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Does a smoothline hardtop look the same, have glass, fit all the holes, brackets? Apparently the convertible tops were all the same for the C-4 years.

The only justification for this is that I will never have to replace the original convertible top and I get to spend equal on whatever
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kistler
Does a smoothline hardtop look the same, have glass, fit all the holes, brackets? Apparently the convertible tops were all the same for the C-4 years.

The only justification for this is that I will never have to replace the original convertible top and I get to spend equal on whatever
They are lighter, they attach easier, the look the same, they have the same options or what you order.

They do not make the car stiffer like a GM hardtop because they affix at the same points as a soft top.

http://www.smoothline.com/corvette_c4.php
Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

They have advantages! Thank you for the link. Is the one you may have for sale polo green? I'll private message you if I can figure that out

Kistler
Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The factory hardtop won't fit your 87 unless you weld some steel attaching points to the B-pillars. I don't think anyone is making the adapters anymore so your best bet with trying to use the OEM top is to get pics of the custom brackets and have some made.

The Smoothline top will bolt on but as mentioned, it will not provide any body strengthening like a OEM top would when properly installed.

The other issue with a mounted hardtop is that the rear decklid cannot be opened unless the top is removed. With the convertible top folded down, you lose a good 20% of available storage space. But the convertible top assembly can be removes by removing the 4 pivot bolts that hold the top frame to the body. Also, with the hardtop in place you won't be able to get anything into the storage area that is larger than the opening behind the seats.

The Smoothline website offers a glass rear window upgrade and that should be considered. They also have a defogger option but unless your car has the wiring for one (only the 89 and later cars that had RPO CC2 as an option got the wiring), it's not be worth getting that.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

They have advantages! Thank you for the link. Is the one you may have for sale polo green? I'll private message you if I can figure that out

Kistler
It is not for sale yet, and it is black. has glass, and defog, and headliner.

I'll let you know what what happens if I sell it.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When I bought my hardtop, I found that you don't need the "B" pillar brackets to hold the top on. The mounting holes and bolts in the rear are all you need, but as said before, you lose the roll bar connection. Yes the OEM top has a bar that goes across the top. Some road course events let you run if you have this top on with the brackets installed. And yes, it does help with the stiffness of the body. You can find an OEM top here on the forum for much less than a new Smoothline. My 92 is also polo and my top is medium dark metalic gray. I think it looks good even though I'd like to paint it to match my Vette some day.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran my oem hardtop several times on my 86 and my 92 with just the 2 bolts in the back and the front mounting points, and it was fine. You can do this on your 87 if you get later style front and rear top latches and convert your early style cables to work.
When
I did my 86, there was a conversion kit, it also changed the plastic trim that went across by the rear view mirror and the front top latches. you don't have to change the trim piece, but you will have to drill holes in it to be able to reach the bolts for the hartop.

I got my top for $500, I would definitely buy an original top.
Shawn
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM
chevhead502
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely buy a original top,I have one and love it
Tony
Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Jayhawk62
Racer

chevhead502, That is a nice look. Did yours come with that top in addition to the convertible top?

Kistler
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Pat Durbin
Advanced

Go with the OEM. I can get mine on/off in about 20 minutes. The OEM adds more stiffness and strength to the body with the B pillar posts.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
chevhead502
3rd Gear

Thanks,I brought the roof here in Australia very hard to find over here and I made the brackets for it
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Looks nice! What do you think of getting the OEM and not attaching the top except above the windshield and the two thing-a-ma-jigs on the rear deck?

I do not know if I am handy enough to make brackets; but, then again I could pay to get it done right.

There are some bargains in the FOR SALE section but I do not know how to get the top shipped here......

If I buy it from a catalogue, they pack it and I guess I just pay delivery by motor carrier. If it's from a private party, packing is a problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
chevhead502
3rd Gear

You need the windscreen brackets from a 89 onwards,and differently B pillar brackets
I seen a pair on Ebay two days a go
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks nice! What do you think of getting the OEM and not attaching the top except above the windshield and the two thing-a-ma-jigs on the rear deck?

I do not know if I am handy enough to make brackets; but, then again I could pay to get it done right.

There are some bargains in the FOR SALE section but I do not know how to get the top shipped here......

If I buy it from a catalogue, they pack it and I guess I just pay delivery by motor carrier. If it's from a private party, packing is a problem.
As the 'vert body twists and shakes, the weight of the OEM hardtop (about 65 lbs?) may cause the rear decklid clamps to become loose or worse, brfeak out of the decklid. The factory installation brochure for the hardtop state to not use the hardtop unless the B-pillar brackets are installed and properly tightened.

The bolts in the rear locating pins are used to snug the hardtop down so that the weatherstripping forms a seal to the decklid and keeps water out. Getting the bolts tight enough to do that does put a slight strain on the decklid clamps. The B-pillar brackets are what provides the rigidity to the body and the halo bar inside the hardtop. In fact, a properly installed hardtop makes the convertible body stiffer than a coupe!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

C4cruiser, That is invaluable advice; it will keep me from making a mistake. Our car needs tender care now she is getting old.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop (item 434053) for convertible?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I put a factory top on an 87 a few years ago and had B pillar brackets made to fit by a local welder. If you go ahead with this project then let me know. I can provide pics. You do lose all of your storage but gain a quieter ride and the ability to cruise in the cooler months. Looks cool too!
Here is the 87 I used to own:
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

And here is that hardtop from corvetteronw's car on my 91 after paint
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is a pic. of the brackets you need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardtop (item 434053) for convertible?