C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

lost my headlight cover last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM
spirit of '67
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost my headlight cover last night

Drove my girlfriend to Monterey last night and when I got home the right side headlight would not go down. Upon further inspection I noticed that the painted top part of the headlight asembly and come off and jammed it. I got it out and noticed that it was glued on. What glue do I use to put it back on.

1988 vert

thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

They're not supposed to be glued on, somebody did a half azzed repair job. There are two Phillips screws below the cover in the front and then at the rear there are two torx screws, one on each side of the cover. I would imagine the white plastic thingies the screw goes into are stripped or missing, they are available at any NAPA. The torx screws you will need to find, if I recall someone has a pair for sale in the parts section. They are countersunk so you will need to find them. The front ones are just a plain metal screw.
EDIT, upon re-reading your post I realized you may be talking about the flat cover that shows when the headlights are down. Still, they are held on with screws, I would suggest looking at the other headlight to see how it is attached, surely nobody is stupid enough to do that to both sides.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 08-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The tangs/brackets the screws go into are glued to the cover. I dunno what they actually use but I would scuff it up and try JB Weld on it if no one has a better idea.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

On my 88 there are no screws that hold the "cover " on. When one of mine fell off the headlights were on and the cover fell into the well below the light. I scraped the original adhesive off and re-glued with GE Silicone. Clamps are necessary for a lasting repair.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Wow, I had no idea they were glued, I just looked at mine and sure enough. I stand corrected and agree with the JB Weld fix.

Get notified of new replies

To lost my headlight cover last night

Quick Reply: lost my headlight cover last night