Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Lugnut key storage location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1985 Lugnut key storage location?

In the owner's manual and in many threads in the archives here, the answer is that it's stored in the passenger side rear storage bin "with the jack handle."

What does that mean? Is it stored literally in the handle? Or somewhere else in that bin? Or just loose?

I can't find it for the first '85 I got and I suspect it's gone (just bought the car recently), but I would like to at least check where it is supposed to be.

On the second '85, there was a key provided with the original wheels (those wheels were not installed on the car, and the key was not stored in the car when I got it).

Coincidentally, that key works on the first car as well. So at least I know which key I need if I do have to buy another.

Here is a picture:

Is that stock, or after market? If stock, I see no good way to store either part in the jack handle.

So is there some special way/place that it is normally stored?

Thanks,

--Jim
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

why dont you pick someplace to put it where you will remember ?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
why dont you pick someplace to put it where you will remember ?
I'm trying to find out if the car has the key or not, but I don't know where it was originally stored.

Almost certainly the key is gone, but I want to be sure before I buy another.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The common place they end up is the console. A lot handier for the tire shop when they do the work.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

think he's tryin to figure out where the po may have hid it, those are usually handed over by hand , if you have them
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
The common place they end up is the console. A lot handier for the tire shop when they do the work.
Well, sure there are plenty of places to store it, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. And I'm not necessarily saying that I will store it in the original storage spot either, but I would still like to know where that spot originally was.

Unless there is something really trick that I'm missing, that storage bin does not appear to be that complicated and it does not appear to have any way to store something as big as the key I have (other than just rolling around loose in the bin). But the owners manual and the sticker in the car say that the key was stored there.

Just wondering where/how exactly it was stored. Surely it wasn't just kept in there loose, was it?. Maybe I don't have the original stock key? If not, was the stock key designed to be stored nested in the jack handle or stored on the post along with the jack handle?

Maybe everyone just keeps it somewhere else doesn't remember where it was originally?

It's not really a problem, I'm mostly just curious but also, if there is some trick, super-stealth factory storage location that I'm missing, I would like to check it before I order a second one for the car that's missing it.

Last edited by Jim Rogers; 09-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
think he's tryin to figure out where the po may have hid it, those are usually handed over by hand , if you have them
Nope-- I want to know where the factory originally put it when the car was delivered.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Put it inside the fuel rear hatch.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Put it inside the fuel rear hatch.
That would be handy!

Jim I hope ya find out, its an interesting question. I dont know if there are any original C4 owners here. Maybe research some NCRS info, they are the end word on it I would guess.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers
Nope-- I want to know where the factory originally put it when the car was delivered.
I have had my 85 almost since new.

The lock is stored in the passenger side well. There is a spring clip on the jack handle that the key snaps into.

As it happens, I swapped wheels today and had to look for mine. I found it and used it today.

The McGard lock is really designed kind of nice. once the key is located in the lock nut, the outer spring loaded housing on the key screws onto the lock nut so the key doesn't back out and strip the key pattern.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have had my 85 almost since new.

The lock is stored in the passenger side well. There is a spring clip on the jack handle that the key snaps into.

As it happens, I swapped wheels today and had to look for mine. I found it and used it today.

The McGard lock is really designed kind of nice. once the key is located in the lock nut, the outer spring loaded housing on the key screws onto the lock nut so the key doesn't back out and strip the key pattern.

I hope this helps.
Yes-- that helps a lot! I figured it was something like that.

I didn't notice any springs or clips on my jack handle-- I assume the spring is removable (and thus possible to lose) in the same way the spring is that holds the jack to the spare?

Would you be able to post a pic of the key attached to the handle? Even if you can't, at least now my question is answered.

Thanks much!

And, yes, I have used the key and it works well. I'm sure the pattern is so shallow (thus requiring the screw-collar to hold it) to make it difficult to use any other tools on it.

I don't see the McGard name on my key (I'll check again to be sure), but does my key look like the original?

Thanks again,

--Jim
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers
Yes-- that helps a lot! I figured it was something like that.

I didn't notice any springs or clips on my jack handle-- I assume the spring is removable (and thus possible to lose) in the same way the spring is that holds the jack to the spare?

Would you be able to post a pic of the key attached to the handle? Even if you can't, at least now my question is answered.

Thanks much!

And, yes, I have used the key and it works well. I'm sure the pattern is so shallow (thus requiring the screw-collar to hold it) to make it difficult to use any other tools on it.

I don't see the McGard name on my key (I'll check again to be sure), but does my key look like the original?

Thanks again,

--Jim
I'll see if I can get a picture when I get a chance. Maybe later this week.

The Mcgard name is stamped into the housing ring at the smaller diameter next to the yellow label in your picture.

Your key and locking lug look like the originals. Note the lug nut cover is different from the normal screw on covers. It has a larger diameter with a different thread. I am guessing that these may be pretty hard to find replacements now.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by QCVette
I'll see if I can get a picture when I get a chance. Maybe later this week.
That would be great-- no hurry on it.

The Mcgard name is stamped into the housing ring at the smaller diameter next to the yellow label in your picture.
OK-- I'll look tonight. I wasn't really looking for that name last night, but I don't remember seeing it either.

Your key and locking lug look like the originals.
Thanks-- since I've never seen an original I couldn't tell.

Note the lug nut cover is different from the normal screw on covers. It has a larger diameter with a different thread. I am guessing that these may be pretty hard to find replacements now.
Yes, I'm aware that those covers are different, and I actually need two of them because the PO must have been confused by them and they are broken.

I was hoping that those covers (both for the locking and regular) were still available (and I was hoping that they were cheap!). So your input here is bad news for me.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll run into some on eBay or something.

Thanks again for your help! As a new member of the "85 cult," it's nice to meet you.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Here's where it stores on the jack handle.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so thats what that clip on the handle is for Been trying to figure it out on my 86 since I bought it 6 years ago
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Thanks captmike13.

That looks just like mine, but I didn't get the pictures taken yet.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by captmike13
Here's where it stores on the jack handle.
Excellent! Thank you very much for that.

--Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Lugnut key storage location?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Rohn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find it for the first '85 I got and I suspect it's gone
It is on the workbench of the mechanic that last serviced the car.
Next to the coffee cup.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by Rohn
It is on the workbench of the mechanic that last serviced the car.
Next to the coffee cup.

Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default What Locking lugnuts?

Mine were so worn that I took the locking lugnuts off and replaced them with ordinary ones. Now the 'key' and the four lugnuts are in a plastic bag in my box of unused parts ready for the next owner.
Do people really steal wheels from 20 year old cars?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Quick Reply: 1985 Lugnut key storage location?