Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Inner fender bolts / restoration / paint or buy new ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
kerrynewman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner fender bolts / restoration / paint or buy new ones?

I have disassembled my 86 for painting and thought I would spruce up the suspension parts and inner fenders as well. But allot of my fastners look pretty bad. Is it worth cleaning them up, painting them, maybe "oven baking" the paint on. Or just buy new ones? I'm not going for show quality but I don't want to put them back the way they look now. Any thoughts? Cheers!

Last edited by kerrynewman; 09-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrynewman
I have disassembled my 86 for painting and thought I would spruce up the suspension parts and inner fenders as well. But allot of my fasteners look pretty bad. Is it worth cleaning them up, painting them, maybe "oven baking" the paint on. Or just buy new ones? I'm not going for show quality but I don't want to put them back the way they look now. Any thoughts? Cheers!
most of the common fasteners are available - my local paint supplier has bins&boxes of all kinds, sizes, etc. i think ever autozone carries some of the standard sizes. the torx head screws that hold the inner fenders to the fender/bumper may be a bit harder to find, but i think corvette central carries them. if you want the original black oxide, eastwood carries a kit that you can duplicate the black oxide finish - not sure on how to, the procedure, or the cost. for painting, i'd just use a (flat) black etching primer, but most likely i'd (glass) beadblast the heads first. you would really have to be careful putting a wrench on painted fasteners though...

here's a link to the black oxide kit -

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blacke...ond-clear.html

Last edited by Joe C; 09-24-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 PM
kerrynewman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
most of the common fasteners are available - my local paint supplier has bins&boxes of all kinds, sizes, etc. i think ever autozone carries some of the standard sizes. the torx head screws that hold the inner fenders to the fender/bumper may be a bit harder to find, but i think corvette central carries them. if you want the original black oxide, eastwood carries a kit that you can duplicate the black oxide finish - not sure on how to, the procedure, or the cost. for painting, i'd just use a (flat) black etching primer, but most likely i'd (glass) beadblast the heads first. you would really have to be careful putting a wrench on painted fasteners though...

here's a link to the black oxide kit -

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blacke...ond-clear.html
Thanks Joe, I'll check out the eastwood link first. thx!

Get notified of new replies

To Inner fender bolts / restoration / paint or buy new ones?

Quick Reply: Inner fender bolts / restoration / paint or buy new ones?