Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

unable to unlock doors with the key on my 1987

Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

this is good info, theres also a 30 amp circut breaker in the fuse panel, pulling that might disable the system, and the controller for it is in the dash either center or just right of center, behind the information panel/padded dash. from what I read, turning it off if everythings good involves turning the key on without starting and then back to lock. hope this helps
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 AM
kystherayn
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you all for the help...problem solved, as far as the locks. put a new battery in the remote, hit a button, now all of a sudden the key works...a very strange thing.
Going to remove the fuse for the alarm, and see if that will disable it permanently. We do think the remote is for an aftermarket alarm.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

totally excellent
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by kystherayn
thank you all for the help...problem solved, as far as the locks. put a new battery in the remote, hit a button, now all of a sudden the key works...a very strange thing.
Going to remove the fuse for the alarm, and see if that will disable it permanently. We do think the remote is for an aftermarket alarm.
You do have an aftermarket alarm. 1993 was the first year for a C4 to have a remote that operated the alarm system and passenger side door lock. A prior owner must have installed an aftermarket system.

Unless you have the instruction manual for the aftermarket alarm system, you could very well have more problems down the road. Any idea what brand the alarm is?

The best way to "permanently" disable the aftermarket alarm is to remove the system along with any aftermarket wiring. If you know the brand name of the system, you might be able to find the company website and get the install instructions. Then reverse the install procedure. Make sure that any factory wires that have been cut or spliced are returned to the original configuration.

The controller for the OEM alarm system is located under the passenger side "hush panel" Remove that panel (the one with the footwell light) and you should see a small box with a wire harness with something like 12 wires on it. That's the OEM alarm controller. You should be able to remove that with no issues.

Where the previous owner install the controller for the aftermarket alarm is anyone's guess.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 10-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 AM
red89c4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same problem with my 89, pass door unlock wire and rods were disconnected from cylinder. drivers side key would not unlock door if the door was locked with the elec lock, but would work fine if locked manually. found lock rods binding on door panel. lubed driver door and reattached rods to pass cylinder. both work great now
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Key disingauges the alarm but won't unlock door

Door lock on drivers side had the small of in attached , attached and it moves tried kicking the door , locked buy would not open with the key....scratching my head and patching up my forearm from squeezing in that door...lol, but the factory alarm works
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen amateur door-unlockers knock the keepers off the lock in trying to unlock a door. Anyone try that with your car lately, by any chance? Like a locksmith or a cop?

Or I suppose someone could have been trying to unlock your door to steal something...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: unable to unlock doors with the key on my 1987