C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

6-speed shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Default 6-speed shift *****

I know, this topic has been beaten to death. Wanted to get an up to date thread going, and get some ideas/opinions.

I've always loved the Ford GT style aluminum shift ball.

Was thinking of going with one from TWM performance, but not sure if I like the fact it uses set screws..

Anyone else care to share pics of what they got or came up with? Kind of dig this if they made it for a C4

The Delrin racing style ***** look comfy and effective but they also look like a damn sex toy.

Any info or links to cool shift ***** would be great. I currently have a Hurst short throw and would like to change it up from the factory style.

What I currently have (doesn't look bad)

Old 11-11-2014, 12:12 AM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

The aluminum shift ball looks cool but they're a royal pain (literally) on a hot sunny day. Had a 2003 Mach 1 that had an aluminum ball OEM and ended up swapping it out for a cue-ball style plastic one. I also have the Hurst short throw shifter and went with the Hurst shift ball, I really like it. Classic look, good feel in the hand, has a locking ring on the bottom so no set screws. You can get it without the Hurst script on the side if that's your preference.

Last edited by gdl2165; 11-11-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I'd like to get something more like the shift **** in the C6. The ball style ***** just look retro to me.

I'll probably end up getting a cheapo one off ebay. They almost all use set screws, but I don't have an issue with that. If set screws work, they work.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You don't need to be concerned about set screws if you buy a correct 9/16-18 **** and use an appropriate "jamb" nut to lock it. There are many, many possibilities for a 9/16-18 ****. Some don't even require a jamb nut, if the depth of the threaded portion is appropriate you can just thread it to the bottom of the bore to lock it.

If a shift **** needs to be "functional" then I'd think "retro" in appearance doesn't have anything to do with a choice. The original Hurst ***** for the C4 were 2 1/4 and I don't believe the "replica" offerings that are presently available are anywhere near the 2 1/4 originals. It makes a difference I believe in the feel.

"gdl2165" - remove the jamb nut and the lever will decrease in height substantially more than the thickness of the jamb nut when you thread the **** to the bottom of the bore. There's many ways to index it so that the "pattern' remains appropriately indexed.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I put the Hurst ball, in classic white, in mine. I felt the white added a point of interest in the all-black interior at the time.
Yes, it's old skool, but face it; our C4's are pretty old skool.....

It feels a whole lot better than the stock leather ****.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:05 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Does anybody sell a Hurst T-handle, of the sort that were available back in the '70s, with the 9/16-18 thread and a jam-nut?

TIA.

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

gdl2165- Good info, never thought of it getting extremely hot.

FAUEE- If someone made a C6 **** with our shift pattern on it I'd be game for that.

WVZR-1- I realize they're are a lot of ***** out there with the correct thread pitch for the shift lever, but I don't believe there is a lot with the correct shift pattern on it. I know the shift pattern isn't really needed, but I want it to look like it may have left the factory that way. I really like the hurst **** but the 2-1/4" Diameter ball just feels oversized on the hurst short throw to me. I've driven one, and while it felt good in the palm, it still felt oversized even compared to the stock leather ****. Core-shifters on ebay (where I also bought the short throw) sells Hurst replica ***** in a 2-1/8" size which might feel better to me. I know, its all about preference...I still may end up going this route as they do look good. Not sure If I would go white or black.

Rocco- Thanks, might end up going that route if I can't find anything else.

SJW- Not sure if there is a Hurst T-Handle but I know there is a B&M T-handle for our cars, might be able to find one without the logo.

Appreciate the input guys!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Well, I am either going with the white or black Hurst **** (without side logo). Can't decide between the two...

The white is classic and just belongs on a Hurst shifter...However, the black kind of fits in with the all black interior...Tough call.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
I put the Hurst ball, in classic white, in mine. I felt the white added a point of interest in the all-black interior at the time.
Yes, it's old skool, but face it; our C4's are pretty old skool.....

It feels a whole lot better than the stock leather ****.
I did the same on my 96; looks good, feels good; was the only shifter **** I could find with the correct shift pattern engraved on it. The white ball is a nice accent in my otherwise all black interior. But it makes me feel a little weird because people assume, not unreasonably, that I have a Hurst shifter.

the stock leather covered shifter never cut it for me either
Old 11-13-2014, 05:06 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Got the white one!

Get notified of new replies

To 6-speed shift knobs

Quick Reply: 6-speed shift knobs