steering wheel play

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
moonglowfarm
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel play

I have a 91 'Vette convertible that has downward play in the steering wheel ... about 2 inches of flex if the wheel is pushed with a little pressure. Can this be corrected simply
Moonglow Farm
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
RED UFO
Pro

Originally Posted by moonglowfarm
I have a 91 'Vette convertible that has downward play in the steering wheel ... about 2 inches of flex if the wheel is pushed with a little pressure. Can this be corrected simply
Moonglow Farm
Search the archive. I have the same thing. There are a few write ups on the subject. It is cause by a joint in the tilt wheel assembly. I have it too. I am living with it.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM
moonglowfarm
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I am likewise living with it but I wanted to be sure that there was no safety issues.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The steering shaft itself is strong as can be and is support by bearings in the tilthousing. The problem is the tilt housing and tilt base are made out of low grade cast 'white metal' using steel pins as the pivot joint. The housing and/or base gets hogged out if previous owners used the steering wheel as a means of ingress and egress.

Both of my C4's past and present had the problem. Even my current one with 30k miles on it. This car only needed a base assy which is available still for about $130. The tilt housing isn't really available new anymore, but rebuilders have some good ones or you could send it to a machinist to rebush it with something like a bronze bushing.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by mike100
The steering shaft itself is strong as can be and is support by bearings in the tilthousing. The problem is the tilt housing and tilt base are made out of low grade cast 'white metal' using steel pins as the pivot joint. The housing and/or base gets hogged out if previous owners used the steering wheel as a means of ingress and egress.

Both of my C4's past and present had the problem. Even my current one with 30k miles on it. This car only needed a base assy which is available still for about $130. The tilt housing isn't really available new anymore, but rebuilders have some good ones or you could send it to a machinist to rebush it with something like a bronze bushing.
Good info Mike. Compared to Betty Boop, The Ghost has a big play in it.

Get notified of new replies

To steering wheel play

Quick Reply: steering wheel play