Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Obx headers!!! Do not buy!!! Unless.....

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
girvin02
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bent the shorter of the two alternator/AC compressor brackets, as seen in this picture.
Name:  IMG_5602.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  35.1 KB

I used a 1.4" spacer, made from steel tubing for the the longer of the two brackets, as seen in this picture.
Name:  IMG_5605.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  87.5 KB

I had to dent one of the primary tubes, as seen in this picture.
Name:  IMG_5609.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  34.4 KB

And I used another 1.4" spacer to place the dipstick bracket in the correct location, as seen in this picture.
Name:  IMG_5612.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  36.5 KB

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
92C4M6
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Necromancy ftw, anyone know what gasket I should use for these obx headers for my 92(stock heads)?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed the obx headers in my 94, tried the gaskets that come with it, they didn't seal up for s***. then tried a pair of stock replacement gaskets, little better but still leaking. I had straight pipes already on the car and the obx headers didn't match up with them. had custom tubes welded in at a shop but he left the bung out for the rear 02 sensor. so now I have long tube headers that have slight leaks, no rear 02, no x or h pipe to equalize pressure, and cant put the after axle pipes in because the way the shop welded the mid pipes in. its a big mess, think im just gonna order the whole ARH setup. a little pricey but top quality and will get rid of the problems I have now
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 PM
ja2502001
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBX headers

I just wanted to update this as i just went through a terrible obx, ebay ordeal..
First off i would like to say the headers for my 1996 lt/4
looked awesome when they arrived welds and finish were great i was happy with them and the price point them UNTIL i went to install them.. after removing my manifolds and converters I tried to bolt them up to my stock Lt4 heads which i think are the same D shaped port as the LT1..I was only able to get 2 of the 6 mounting bolts per side to line up?? So i held up the Mr gasket i bought for the install and noticed the whole flange was way off..Not only were the holes drilled wrong vertically they were also off horizontally as well. altho the gasket lined up perfectly with the head.I expected some bolt and bracket mods which i more than capable of doing but this was un workable. there was no way to open the holes to make them fit as there is no room on the flange not to mention the tubes and the ports arnt even in the same hemisphere..
Then came the worst part //Dealing with the seller who wouldn't answer my email for days and never acknowledged a problem. who then provided me with a # for obx (Who i think are the same person)and the reply was "Hmm we've sold a bunch of these" send them back..It cost me out of pocket almost 70.00 (unrecovered) to ship them back and a month for my initial purchase refund' after 2 official ebay disputes ,35.00 for gaskets and the same for the header bolts not to mention tying up a lift and countless hrs screwing with this and waiting for the seller to get around to answer me..
Bottom line to this way too long story is stay away from these as its going to cost you ..Read all ebay seller NEGS and believe!!
If you choose to buy these GOOD luck.. The fact they are only available online through ebay or amazon through the same sellers should speak volumes..
Attached Images    

Last edited by ja2502001; 01-17-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I guess with products like these, it's a coin toss.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:09 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Not positive, but I think there are 3 versions of these. 1. l98, 2. lt1, 3. race which has the round ports. Not sure anymore. I think you may have gotten sent the wrong pieces. At one time I spoke with OBX themselves a couple years back and they were very good about responding and even coordinating things. I agree the ebay dealer is just a parts pusher.

Originally Posted by ja2502001
I just wanted to update this as i just went through a terrible obx, ebay ordeal..
looked awesome when they arrived welds and finish were great i was happy with them and the price point them UNTIL i went to install them.. after removing my manifolds and converters I tried to bolt them up to my stock Lt4 heads which i think are the same D shaped port as the LT1..I was only able to get 2 of the 6 mounting bolts per side to line up?? So i held up the Mr gasket i bought for the install and noticed the whole flange was way off..Not only were the holes drilled wrong vertically they were also off horizontally as well. altho the gasket lined up perfectly with the head.I expected some bolt and bracket mods which i more than capable of doing but this was un workable. there was no way to open the holes to make them fit as there is no room on the flange not to mention the tubes and the ports arnt even in the same hemisphere..
Then came the worst part //Dealing with the seller who wouldn't answer my email for days and never acknowledged a problem. who then provided me with a # for obx (Who i think are the same person)and the reply was "Hmm we've sold a bunch of these" send them back..It cost me out of pocket almost 70.00 (unrecovered) to ship them back and a month for my initial purchase refund' after 2 official ebay disputes ,35.00 for gaskets and the same for the header bolts not to mention tying up a lift and countless hrs screwing with this and waiting for the seller to get around to answer me..
Bottom line to this way too long story is stay away from these as its going to cost you ..Read all ebay seller NEGS and believe!!
If you choose to buy these GOOD luck.. The fact they are only available online through ebay or amazon through the same sellers should speak volumes..
Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
iamjeff76
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ja2502001
I just wanted to let everyone know I had the same exact issue. It looks like I got my headers around the same time as ja2502001. Maybe they worked ok for others in the past, but something is wrong now. Before I ordered them I had read through the archives about OBX headers and everyone was having good luck with them.

Hopefully, the next guy who comes along looking for LT1/LT4 long tube information doesn't try OBX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obx headers!!! Do not buy!!! Unless.....