Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Please help - Convertible owners with factory luggage rack installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 AM
stevbullock
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevbullock
This sounds like a nursery rhyme but: The nuts that hold the screws that hold the slats are under your rear deck.

I know no one who knows how the nuts are retained other than by the force created by the screws holding the rack pieces in place. I just found and purchased a factory luggage rack. It came with #10x24, 1 1/4" machine screws which held the luggage rack pieces in place to the deck. Clearly they fit matching nuts, and probably washers, on the underside of the deck to hold any luggage firmly in place. I am investigating several methods of installing the rack that do not involve removing the body from the frame to get at the underside of the deck. If anyone has good ideas please put them here. Don't say "molly bolt" unless you've found a stainless version.

Once a factory rack is removed, there will be roughly ten unnecessary holes in the rear deck.
This is an amplification of my earlier post. Pictures show use of a template, which I can no longer find (may have sent it to a fellow in Wisconsin), but I am certain (having done this) similar results can be obtained by careful measuring and placement. 1st Photo - Here the rack is laid out on the template prior to marking the hole locations. 2nd Photo - Well nut locations have been marked and drilled. Mark with a steel punch and hammer. 3rd Photo - Well nut bases have been installed. 4 th Photo - A well nut without screw. 5th Photo - Rack installed and screwed down on well nuts. Pardon the different sized pictures. I must have done something to them in the last three years. But they are usable.
Attached Images      

Last edited by stevbullock; 07-21-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quick Reply: Please help - Convertible owners with factory luggage rack installed!!!