C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New to me C4, and a few q's....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
DeeHutch
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default New to me C4, and a few q's....

First time Vette owner here! It's a '94, 82k on the clock, Black on black, 6spd. And I'm loving it!

I've posted a few things so far, and thanks to all who has helped, however, I have a few random questions that id like to know for just general information. Thanks in advance for puttin' up with a newb!

From the drivers side, when rolling down the passenger side window is the switch reversed? Is this supposed to be, or is mine jacked?

How does the a/c work in our cars? I notice, there's no actual AC button to turn it on....

On that same topic, sometimes if I press the "recirc" button, it lights up and then goes right back out....?

What is the purpose of the 2nd gear lockout?

I'm sure I have more, but we'll start there. Thanks!

(I'd like some opinions about exhaust as well)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SellmeurC5
First time Vette owner here! It's a '94, 82k on the clock, Black on black, 6spd. And I'm loving it!

I've posted a few things so far, and thanks to all who has helped, however, I have a few random questions that id like to know for just general information. Thanks in advance for puttin' up with a newb!

From the drivers side, when rolling down the passenger side window is the switch reversed? Is this supposed to be, or is mine jacked?

How does the a/c work in our cars? I notice, there's no actual AC button to turn it on....

On that same topic, sometimes if I press the "recirc" button, it lights up and then goes right back out....?

What is the purpose of the 2nd gear lockout?

I'm sure I have more, but we'll start there. Thanks!

On the window question..... No the passenger one isn't supposed to be reversed.

If you adjust the temp to 60 and put it on auto or recirc. it should kick on AC.... If it lights up and shuts off I'd say you may want to research the thread about taking apart the climate control and cleaning off the contact points.... It's not that hard to do and it makes a drastic difference.

2nd gear and 3rd gear lock-out A.K.A. 1st to 4th or Computer Aided Gear Selection was put in by GM for emissions purposes only... They make eliminator kits for them or you can buy a resistor (little research here will let you know exactly what you need for this).
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Lathroum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is an earlier C4....

The window switch is probably reversed because the previous owner upgraded to the newer style window mechs... and the motor is wired the opposite way... you can pull the connector inside the door (removal of panel needed) and push the two contacts out of the front of the plastic...

carefully bend a little tab on them, pull them out the back side...
and reverse them.... or you can cut the wires and splice them...

I chose not to have the cut in my wires and I swapped them in the connector.... took no time at all...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

your car is completely shot, you need to sell it quick. Since you are a forum member, I will do you a favor and buy it for 100 bucks. Just kidding around..welcome to the forum, have fun, dont worry abot the wanna bes.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gear lock out is as noted above to avoid the "gas tax"..its simple to buy an eliminator BUT just as easy to put your foot into it which allows you to shift into second with no problems

Bob G.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum and your first vette! Send pictures of your vette as soon as you can, we love to see your pictures posted.

I've done alot of research and reading on the forum and I'm going with a Corsa Exhaust. It will cost more, but no drone!

"Drone (also known as resonance) is the byproduct of low frequency sound energy generated by your engine exhaust interacting with the body structure of the car. This sound energy generated by the engine and flow noises are amplified by the trunk and cabin cavities at certain rpms, resulting in a low frequency, dull, thrumming sound that can be very annoying. Certain low frequency sounds can even make people sick and nauseous. This is the drone or resonance people refer to when talking about most aftermarket exhaust systems.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The a/c is activated by the push buttons and I believe is totally electronic if you have auto climate control. The compressor will turn on in all positions except 2. The icon with the arrow pointed at the knees and the icon with the single arrow pointed at the face -- those 2 buttons will NOT turn on the compressor.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
DeeHutch
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

Now, the reverse lights are driving me bonkers!!!! But I have that question in another thread...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget pictures! Lots of them!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I went with Borla exhaust. They too don't have a lot of drone and they are somewhat affordable. Initially, I was thinking of going with Flowmaster but after talking with owners and listening to C4s with L98 engines at Vette shows, I went with the Borlas. The Corsas in my opinion were too smooth and sounded more European and I was looking for a more traditional Chevy V8 burble. You might get different results with your LT1 engine.

Here is a pic of my 86 with the Borlas

Last edited by prinzSD455; 11-30-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
I went with Borla exhaust. They too don't have a lot of drone and they are somewhat affordable. Initially, I was thinking of going with Flowmaster but after talking with owners and listening to C4s with L98 engines at Vette shows, I went with the Borlas. The Corsas in my opinion were too smooth and sounded more European and I was looking for a more traditional Chevy V8 burble. You might get different results with your LT1 engine.

Here is a pic of my 86 with the Borlas

Be sure to listen to some corsa's on youtube. Some like it, some hate it.

It has a european (ie. sounds like a smaller displacement motor) sound vs. the deep throaty roar of what you'd expect of an american v-8.

It also gets rid of your dual 2 3/4" pipes for 2.5" pipes. Of course there are a coupe spots where your 2 3/4" stock pipes next down to 2.25" pipes and the corsa gets rid of that. Also, with that said, I do remember many people posting power gains (dyno charts) vs. the stock setup when they switched to corsa cat back.

Unfortunately, the corsa is not any lighter weight than the stock system.

Also, i remember when corsa was $900 (around 2002). Now they want about double that for the same system? Im not sure if they've done any improvements to the system.

On the plus side, corsa looks great, USA made, and has no drone/ driveability problems.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't mean to be flippant, but it really might pay you to get an owners manual and read it cover to cover. Lot's of your questions are there, maybe some other surprises also.

Get notified of new replies

To New to me C4, and a few q's....

Quick Reply: New to me C4, and a few q's....