C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Low Coolant Light - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
ThomasRetUSN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low Coolant Light - Need Help

I have a 86 coupe with 96K on the clock. I get the "Low Coolant" light. I have replaced the coolant temp. sensor in the front of the engine block and the coolant sensor on the right side of the radiator. I do not have a scan reader so I can't see if I am getting a code 14 or 15. I do have the FSM.

I need a little help please.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The coolant level switch is located in the radiator, not too far from the fill cap. If the "low coolant" light is intermittent, there may be an air pocket in the system. When you replaced the other two sensors, did you properly "burp" the system?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!

To check the stored codes:

put a jumper between pin "A" and pin "B"

turn the key to the "run position" - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR!!!!
you should hear the fans turn on
the check engine light will blink out code "12" three times
(one blink then two blinks - pause - one blink then two blinks - pause - one blink then two blinks)
it will then blink out any stored codes three times each
after the stored codes it will blink code "12" again three times
turn the key to the "off" position
remove jumper
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
ThomasRetUSN
Racer

Originally Posted by cadwiz_89
The coolant level switch is located in the radiator, not too far from the fill cap. If the "low coolant" light is intermittent, there may be an air pocket in the system. When you replaced the other two sensors, did you properly "burp" the system?
No I did not. How is that done?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Strange Solution

I had the same problem over the eleven years of owning my '87 C4. I replaced the radiator cap and the intermittent "Low Coolant" light went away. A cheap fix that eliminated the warning light.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have an '86 Coupe that had the same problem. Somewhere I read of a remedy. With the engine running and the cap off the radiator, I increased the RPM slightly. The coolant level would drop a few inches. I then poured in more coolant to top it off and then replaced the cap before letting the engine return to idle. I never had the problem again.
It is worth a try.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by abdo
I have an '86 Coupe that had the same problem. Somewhere I read of a remedy. With the engine running and the cap off the radiator, I increased the RPM slightly. The coolant level would drop a few inches. I then poured in more coolant to top it off and then replaced the cap before letting the engine return to idle. I never had the problem again.
It is worth a try.
You have to let it get up to temp to open the thermostat and circulate the air bubbles to the radiator.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by silverja
I had the same problem over the eleven years of owning my '87 C4. I replaced the radiator cap and the intermittent "Low Coolant" light went away. A cheap fix that eliminated the warning light.

I had the same thing twice. My 88 and my 94 would both show the low coolant light. I replaced the cap and it never happened again. I think if the cap is bad, it won't let the system pull in coolant when the engine cools. and eventually you get the light.

My 87 actually had a problem with a cracked head. The cap didn't cure that. (but I wished it would have.)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by abdo
It is worth a try.
One thing to add to this is to raise the front of the car as high as possible using ramps or jack stands. The idea is to get the fill opening on the radiator as high as possible. Any air pockets in the engine will have a better chance of escaping.

Start the engine (cold coolant temp) and remove the radiator cap. Watch the coolant level in the radiator. When the thermostat opens, the level should drop. Raise engine RPM to something like 1100-1200 RPM and fill the radiator to the neck (this is usually referred to "packing" the cooling system). Replace the cap and let the engine RPM drop to the normal idle RPM.

Take the car off the ramps or stands and fill the plastic expansion bottle to the "COLD" mark.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
ThomasRetUSN
Racer

Thanks everyone. This is why I love corvette's.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasRetUSN
I have a 86 coupe with 96K on the clock. I get the "Low Coolant" light. I have replaced the coolant temp. sensor in the front of the engine block and the coolant sensor on the right side of the radiator. I do not have a scan reader so I can't see if I am getting a code 14 or 15. I do have the FSM.

I need a little help please.

Thanks
Okay, here you go, Chief. As mentioned above, you need to properly burp your radiator. However, even if you properly burp the cooling system, you can still have an air bubble trapped up under the dome on your thermostat. Sooooooo, use these directions to burp the cooling system AND, drill the two purge holes in your thermostat.

I can tell you that I fought a low coolant light for several years and no matter how diligently I followed the burp instructions, my problem was not totally and finally solved untill I drilled the thermostat holes and THEN, and only then, properly burped the cooling system.
Attached Images
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+Warning+Light

Get notified of new replies

To Low Coolant Light - Need Help

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Light - Need Help