C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Obd1 aldl scanner for c4 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Obd1 aldl scanner for c4 corvette

For those with the experience with corvette diagnostics, I would like to know what kind of information will I get with a scanner. Some of them are inexpensive these days. How valuable will that information be to troubleshoot ignition problems, etc. Will spark timing, injector firing, etc be available with this scanner.
Thanks, JDeMoya.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Injector firing=no
Ignition timing=yes, ie. 36 degrees and such.

With OBDI, you WILL NOT get misfire codes, only OBDII. Even those are sketchy at best. I had a vehicle with a cyl. 1 missfire code. I suspected coil, it tested bad, I swapped to #2 cylinder and I SHOULD have seen it the code move to #2 cyl. misfire, I got P0300 instead, which is multi-cylinder misfire. Stupid, On Board Diagnostics... I replace the BAD coil I had moved to #2 and it ran fine, NEVER had a multi-cylinder misfire. Computer thought it detected one, well it was wrong.

Older OBD1 cars give you less data than newer cars. You will get basic engine data from sensor and output states-on/off. In addition to codes.

I have a cheap older Actron CP9110, it does Ford, GM, Chrysler OBDI, and Generic OBDII.

My much newer OTC Nemisys give me more engine data for all OBDI and ODBII vehicles. It can do ABS, AIR BAG, and CCM codes,data for my 93 Corvette. As well as ECM functions. I got it for 400 on ebay. They are 1200 new. It is WAY advanced for a typical car owner or even the weekend hobbyist.
I work on cars for living so I wanted a entry level professional grade scan tool.

I find them invaluable, how else do you see what the ECM is seeing? It is just a tool, NOT solution, nor is a code a soluation. It is a starting point. You have to understand what you see on the tool for it to be any worth diagnostics wise. You need to be able to pick out bad data if you see it.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 04-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Thank you for the information. I am still inclined to buy a scanner. Which one do you recommend? Of course not the most expensive one, he,he.
I find myself doing more repairs than I thought I would be doing so it is time to jump in.
Thanks, Jdemoya.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The cheapest and most flexible way to go is to buy a cable and hook it up to a computer (laptop preferred for obvious reasons, but I've heard of guys hooking up to a big beige box).

I use Diacom myself, but it's very expensive and they haven't updated it since I bought it in 2000.

Here are some sources for cables and software:

http://www.akmcables.com/dss.htm
http://www.aldlcable.com/
http://www.moates.net/
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

About 12yrs ago I bought an AutoXray to help diagnose & tune my '88 Vette and it has served me very well.

You can use it to get a snapshot of the engine or in Monitor Mode to get a 30 sec continuous scan.

Last edited by 65Z01; 04-12-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Thanks all for the information.
JDeMOya.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jdemoya
Thanks all for the information.
JDeMOya.
I don't have any codes present, the engine runs very rough and only while stepping on the gas. It will die if I let the pedal go.
If I disconnect the MAF sensor, it runs on idle though poorly.
No codes...
Jdemoya
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm partial to the Moates stuff, but not familiar with anybody else's (of course, my 1985's computer is dumb as a bag of rocks). I'd be willing to bet that you would get a lot more answers in the C4 Scan & Tune portion of the forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd see if there's something for your Cell Phone first - there's an assortment of Apps for OB2 for Android and Apple, but I don't know what's out there OBD1.

You can get Sensor values and fueling with a Scanner with Closed Loop fueling probably being the more useful piece of information. However, if it runs ok with the MAF disconnected and there are no Codes, it's problematic that you need a new MAF. It's simply getting the wrong info on air flow and it's either delivering too much or too little fuel.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdemoya
It will die if I let the pedal go.
Jdemoya
That sounds like you need to do a "minimum idle" adjustment. How to do that was written up many years ago by Lars Grimsrud and his article is all over the Internet. One place is here:

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/r...scuss_sim5.htm
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no reason for the screw to move unless someone moved it. If flow is restricted, then it needs to be cleaned. If air is getting in from somewhere else, it needs a new throttle body. There is, realistically, only one setting for one atmospheric pressure for one humidity for one temperature that works. Someone a lot brighter than me figured that out and from there, all of the variables work. The motivation to monkey with that screw eludes me.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
87Blue
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so where is that section

Originally Posted by j3studio
I'm partial to the Moates stuff, but not familiar with anybody else's (of course, my 1985's computer is dumb as a bag of rocks). I'd be willing to bet that you would get a lot more answers in the C4 Scan & Tune portion of the forum.

So where is that section of this forum?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87Blue
So where is that section of this forum?
It has been consolidated into:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erformance-48/

Get notified of new replies

To Obd1 aldl scanner for c4 corvette

Quick Reply: Obd1 aldl scanner for c4 corvette