Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint Job Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

HE told me that the price would be the starting point "if" he found problems, that's fair to me ,,,

I have painted obe car in my life, it took me 6 weeks of daily work, and I don't have it in me, I was in my 20's then, time cost money an I don't have time, but I do have money

After seeing the guys work in person, he was painting a 65 fastback Mustang, and how the building was immaculate and the bay areas very welll kept, I feel zero risk on the quality, and if the price goes up a little due to issues or parts he needs, so be it.

Been searching for whites still
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
$8k is cheap if it's a quality job. All panels removed from the car before paint begins. I charge more.

Find a good shop and make them sign a contract for WHEN the job should be completed. You don't want the car to sit in the shop for months.
I've had my 64 my 72 and my 76 repainted and to be honest all of them cost me quite a bit more then 8 Grand... BUT I got first class, show quality paint jobs on all of them...

Yep I could have saved some money..but I could also have just taken a ocean Cruise and have nothing left after I got home except memories..

Bob G.
64 72 76 79 88 (35th anc) and 98 Corvettes 3 coupes & 3 Convertibles
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I paid in the $4k-$4.5 range myself. (6yrs ago) But, I also disassembled the car myself...and delivered.

It was a dealership level paintjob...that they discounted 30% (to 2001 pricing). He did it because that's when I first met the manager, when the damage happened, and because I let him keep the car as long as he wanted to work it in.

When I was done, the manager showed me a C2 he was painting. Said he'd charge at least $10k...but alot of that is the bodywork necessary to improve on the factory panel alignment/fit. Seeing it up close made me realize he was right.

Its true...quality doesn't come cheap.

IIRC, good paint does cost in the $600-$1000 range.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:10 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me - if I had the money I would not be doing this myself. It absolutely sucks but when finished I will be able to say that I did every part of this Vette myself (besides machining the block).
But on the bright side, it gave me reason to buy a big a** compressor and other assorted air tools and paint guns.
LD - I am personally digging the Lexus/Toyota Pearl White.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to have a white that has a little reflection in it,

I am only carpet away from an all new interior so the car will be mostly done by August 1st...

Then in the winter she might get a new motor, i'm leaning 434ci today, who knows the direction i'll lean tomorrow I have the Dart block, just gotta find some deals
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

what is the best type of paint to buy. not for a DD but more for a show car? dupont, sherwin williams,ppg, rm ect. there is so many types of paint/clear. what does the factory use? factory paint looks good. but not as good as some show cars.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent near 12K perfect job and you can't tell. An animal did a number on the car in the garage. Got the last C4 nose GM had. Took the car apart and painted it. Professional Auto Body Long Island.

Quick Reply: Paint Job Pricing