Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

being offered a 89 z51 vette for my 68 mustang.... should I??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RiceKiller,

I would definitely keep the 'Stang, and the best advice is to save and get a nice C4,...
that Stang, even done up the way you have it, is a much rarer car than the vette, and its kind of laughable to compare performance of a modern late 80s C4 and it's chassis dynamics versus your 60's 'Stang. Night and Day..simple, 25 plus years of performance chassis development is only logical. But..your car is gutteral, rare, mean looking, sought after, and you have to be Iron ***** Kelly to drive it right, and some guys want that..especially we.."older" ie..grew up in the 60s..dudes..who would want that 'Stang just to feel the excitement of being in something tentative, and frankly, dangerous, ie..what the F is gonna happen when I punch this bee-atch..?!!
that is the E-ticket ride man..don't trade that away...!!

Find a nice C4, you are obviously a great wrench, so take that to a C4 and do one up, you will enjoy it..but...keep that 'Stang..you will thank me for it later...

Best, Derek.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
dolbnyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had a stang like that!. Keep it! That is awesome!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Drive the 89 , Keep the Mustang and later get a C4 , Wait , THINK COLD , don't throw your mustang away !
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Smokedavette
Advanced

Save up a couple thousand and find a good deal on a fixer. I picked up an 87 that needed paint seat covers and tires for around that and drove it home on a hot day with the cold A/C blasting. I would keep the mustang if it were me, it's value will always go up while that year of Vette is still going down.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Corvettes and honestly don't care much about Mustangs (except the newer models do have a nice sound)...

BUT no way would I make this swap... especially if the stand is rust free and the engine turns over

Bob G.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Once you drive one you will be hooked!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the stang.

If you want attention drive both and you will get more looks in the stang.

1. The stang is easier to work on.
2. Way more aftermarket parts
3. Cheaper to fix

It would be cool if you could have booth because the vette still is a fun ride and you feel like your in a real sports car or dare I say Exotic when you sit in and drive a C4.
The stang is more Pony car or muscle car.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by zr1fred
The 89 sounds like a $5000 car (maybe less). What is your Mustang worth?
His stang is worth a plenty more and will keep going up.

Keep it and save for a T5. Any project can burn you out
If you think fixing up your mustang costs $ wait til you have a Vette.

Take your time, finish it. Then save up to buy a C4 in real nice shape.
Would not recommend a fixer any yr vette for anyone that isnt real faimilar with them youll end up hating them forever lol.

Last edited by cv67; 08-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Smokedavette
Advanced

There is a big difference between fixer and bucket lol I dont buy cars that were not well maintained ever, a fixer for me is one that was taken care of but needs restoring or repaired from a minor accident. Minor accident to me in the case of a Vette is missing broken body panels but no structural frame damage.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rad928music
Keep the stang.

If you want attention drive both and you will get more looks in the stang. ***But what kinda looks?***

1. The stang is easier to work on.
2. Way more aftermarket parts
3. Cheaper to fix
A 1960's car is WAY less complicated electrically; start dealin' with an c4 and you're either already an electronic wiz, or you'll soon train yourself to be one. Just read the threads on this (and other ) corvette sites. Older cars are pretty much plus and minus, black wire and white wire kinda cars. Keep your life simple.

Your Mustang, stock, or carefully made over into a Shelby 350 clone kinda car, would be worth WAY more than the corvette. I know it's always a matter of personal taste, but with your car, modified as it is, I don't see a big difference in values between it and the corvette. I would grant you the Mustang could be worth more, but I wouldn't make a judgement based soley on perceived values. And, at least out here in (no rust) California, old, first generation Mustangs are surprisingly plentiful, and a lot are still doing (obvious) duty as daily drivers (you almost never see comparable year Camaro's). C4 corvettes on the other hand, are becoming scarce, really scarce...you hardly see them on the road, and those that you do see appear to be pretty pampered.

Now, if it's not your daily driver, and you can afford the time and money to keep up with the corvette's maintenance and (almost inevitable) upgrades, I'd take the corvette in a heart beat. But, in that situation, you probably could afford the both the Mustang and the Corvette.

One last thought. How bad do you need a back seat ? Or a trunk ?

Quick Reply: being offered a 89 z51 vette for my 68 mustang.... should I??