C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4-Dashboard Panel Very Dim

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM
JerryHL
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4-Dashboard Panel Very Dim

Anyone know how to make dashboard brighter durning the day?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The brightness of the dashboard is controlled by a light sensor in the upper left part of the dash. They sometimes go bad and don't control the brightness properly. I have not seen a good part number to replace this sensor, but I have seen instructions on added a jumper across the pins, which will turn on the dash with full brightness all the time (...the headlights are not on -- the brightness while the headlights are on is controlled by the headlight switch rheostat). Just a big glob of solder ought to do it.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 AM
John.87
Instructor

what if just part of it is dim? on mine the left side is fine, the right side is dimmer
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You probably have bad bulbs, or bad connection. there are four of them.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Originally Posted by zr1fred
You probably have bad bulbs, or bad connection. there are four of them.
I have the exact same problem...left side good, right side very dim if lit at all. Been afraid to try to change the bulbs because I heard horror stories about cracking the board when removing it and causing more expensive repairs.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

the cluster is easy to remove and if you are careful with it when taking it apart, the risk of cracking an lcd panel is minimal.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
the cluster is easy to remove and if you are careful with it when taking it apart, the risk of cracking an lcd panel is minimal.
well when it comes to me I can usually find a way to break something on the way to breaking whatever it is I'm trying to fix
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by rcle1220
I have the exact same problem...left side good, right side very dim if lit at all. Been afraid to try to change the bulbs because I heard horror stories about cracking the board when removing it and causing more expensive repairs.
You can change the bulbs without pulling the board out. It is a lot easier and quicker. It only takes about 15 minutes from the front side. I had put together something for another member a while back based on forum information and my experience in doing it several times.

I just looked and found an old package of lights. They are #882 bulbs. They are little 5 watt halogen bulbs. I think they are about $30 each at the dealer, but I got them at Advance Auto parts for about $8 each a couple years ago. I didn't shop around too much. They didn't have them in stock so I had to wait about 2 days. You may find them at various part stores.

The bulbs are halogens, so don't touch the bulb with your fingers. The bulbs may come with a twist-in socket base that twists into the back of the instrument cluster. To do that the instrument cluster has to come completely out.

The easier way is to pull the bulb out of the twist-in socket base from the front without taking out the whole cluster. The bulbs just pull straight out and push back in, so it is not breaking them or the socket base.

When you take the front trim plate off the instrument panel (just a few screws and then carefully manuver the plate out away from the panel) you can see there are some small snap-in covers over the place where the lights are. These covers are a bright metal and are under an inch diameter.

Once the covers are out, I use a small piece of electical shrink tubing. (Radio Shack sells a selection for a buck or two). I push the shrink tubing over the bulb. Don't actually shrink it with heat. Take a small pliers like a needle nose and gently grip the outside the shrink tube on the bulb and pull the bulb out straight out without twisting. (don't grip very hard or you may break the bulb.)

Once the bulb is out, put some of the shrink tube over a new bulb and use the tubing to hold the bulb and guide the bulb into the existing twist-in socket base. The tubing will not hold the bulb well enough to push it all the way in by itself. You will need to only line it up and start it with the tubing and then push with your finger or the pliers (over the shrink tube so you don't touch it). Once it is in place, pull the tubing off. Replace the snap in cover. You can turn on the lights to make sure it lights.

Repeat the same procedure for the others. I think there are 4 bulbs.

Replace the front trim plate.

Done.

There are a lot of words, but the whole thing is only about 15 minutes and pretty easy. Just be cautious, take your time, and not break the bulbs. I have replaced 6 or 8 of them on 3 cars this way.

Good luck,

Randy

Last edited by QCVette; 08-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
rcle1220
Advanced

Originally Posted by QCVette
You can change the bulbs without pulling the board out. It is a lot easier and quicker. It only takes about 15 minutes from the front side. I had put together something for another member a while back based on forum information and my experience in doing it several times.

I just looked and found an old package of lights. They are #882 bulbs. They are little 5 watt halogen bulbs. I think they are about $30 each at the dealer, but I got them at Advance Auto parts for about $8 each a couple years ago. I didn't shop around too much. They didn't have them in stock so I had to wait about 2 days. You may find them at various part stores.

The bulbs are halogens, so don't touch the bulb with your fingers. The bulbs may come with a twist-in socket base that twists into the back of the instrument cluster. To do that the instrument cluster has to come completely out.

The easier way is to pull the bulb out of the twist-in socket base from the front without taking out the whole cluster. The bulbs just pull straight out and push back in, so it is not breaking them or the socket base.

When you take the front trim plate off the instrument panel (just a few screws and then carefully manuver the plate out away from the panel) you can see there are some small snap-in covers over the place where the lights are. These covers are a bright metal and are under an inch diameter.

Once the covers are out, I use a small piece of electical shrink tubing. (Radio Shack sells a selection for a buck or two). I push the shrink tubing over the bulb. Don't actually shrink it with heat. Take a small pliers like a needle nose and gently grip the outside the shrink tube on the bulb and pull the bulb out straight out without twisting. (don't grip very hard or you may break the bulb.)

Once the bulb is out, put some of the shrink tube over a new bulb and use the tubing to hold the bulb and guide the bulb into the existing twist-in socket base. The tubing will not hold the bulb well enough to push it all the way in by itself. You will need to only line it up and start it with the tubing and then push with your finger or the pliers (over the shrink tube so you don't touch it). Once it is in place, pull the tubing off. Replace the snap in cover. You can turn on the lights to make sure it lights.

Repeat the same procedure for the others. I think there are 4 bulbs.

Replace the front trim plate.

Done.

There are a lot of words, but the whole thing is only about 15 minutes and pretty easy. Just be cautious, take your time, and not break the bulbs. I have replaced 6 or 8 of them on 3 cars this way.

Good luck,

Randy
Thanks a ton Randy! I'll give it a shot and let you know if I was successful or not. You made it sound like something I can probably do. 15 minutes for you and probably way more for me...at least this first time.
Thanks again,
Ron
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by rcle1220
Thanks a ton Randy! I'll give it a shot and let you know if I was successful or not. You made it sound like something I can probably do. 15 minutes for you and probably way more for me...at least this first time.
Thanks again,
Ron
I thought it was at least worth a try too. The worst that could happen is you break a bulb, but if you are replacing it, it wasn't working anyway.

If you do break a bulb you still are not any worse because then it would just make you do it the other way by pulling the cluster.

Just take your time and be careful and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 PM
JerryHL
7th Gear

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try. Sound very logical. JerryHL
Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM
JerryHL
7th Gear

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. JerryHL

Get notified of new replies