C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

can't stop oil leak on my C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM
captainricks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't stop oil leak on my C4

Can anyone help. My local GM mechanic can't seem to stop oil leak on my C4 with L98 engine. I had engine resealed the intake manifold done twice,distributer seal replaced,oil sensor resealed. I am into $3k and no better than when I started. Thanks Captainricks
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Maybe its not your intake leaking, could be the oil sender leaking if the oil is coming from the back of engine...Or if it is the intake leaking it sounds like you could use a new mechanic...WW
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Maybe its not your intake leaking, could be the oil sender leaking if the oil is coming from the back of engine...Or if it is the intake leaking it sounds like you could use a new mechanic...WW
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Speedjester
Racer

Tell him to use some dye...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by captainricks
Can anyone help. My local GM mechanic can't seem to stop oil leak on my C4 with L98 engine. I had engine resealed the intake manifold done twice,distributer seal replaced,oil sensor resealed. I am into $3k and no better than when I started. Thanks Captainricks
If it still leaks, why are you paying? If they didn't fix it, you don't pay again for the same repair a second time

Like another poster mentioned...you need a new mechanic and I'd demand my money back. $3k (even if you paid twice for the intake) is
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would agree with speedjester. Using a uv dye, or blacklight dye in the oil can help locate small leaks. Especially if they are in the back side of the engine where it is difficult to see the leak location.

kdf
Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
If it still leaks, why are you paying? If they didn't fix it, you don't pay again for the same repair a second time

Like another poster mentioned...you need a new mechanic and I'd demand my money back. $3k (even if you paid twice for the intake) is
- one problem with most shops is everybody's in a frickin hurry. the mindset is, get it done as fast as they can, minimum effort/maximum money, collect the cash, and move on. to repair or reseal an intake manifold with silicon at the front and rear sealing surfaces correctly and by the book, all surfaces have to be squeaky clean, and the RTV silicon has to cure for 24 hours before running the engine. how many shops are willing to have your car sitting around for a full 24 hour period - NONE! one myth about RTV is engine heat will fast cure the stuff - WRONG!!! if your intake is still leaking, i'd demand my money back, or have it repaired by the book. a frickin' mechanic that can't stop an oil leak - especially a non-pressurized leak isn't worth his weight in dog-poop!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
captainricks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

I agree I am not a mechanic. Don't know how to get my money back. The mechanic seems to have another reason why it leaks. The latest was someone had put two Pvc valves on the engine this caused the gaskets to be sucked in. Is this possible? Captainricks
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by captainricks
The latest was someone had put two Pvc valves on the engine this caused the gaskets to be sucked in. Is this possible? Captainricks
If a gasket was "sucked in", it'd be pretty obvious where the leak was...not to mention the Deepwater Horizon sized oil leak and likely engine fire from the oil hitting one of the manifolds. If there were two PCV valves installed, the hack job should be pretty easy to see and any marginal mechanic would have spotted it when they opened the hood....not to mention when they were re-installing the intake....TWICE! Good grief...

Hopefully you paid with a credit card. First tell the....ahem...."mechanic" that you expect a refund for the...ahem..."repairs" that obviously weren't repairs. If they chose to not refund your money, then call your credit card company.

Now get the car the h*ll out of there and take it to another shop. This SOB is going to drain your bank account of more money than the car is worth over a lousy oil leak.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 06-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I'll quadruple the new mechanic suggestion.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by WW7
Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I got some bad news, you don't have a "mechanic" you have a scam artist. Take some rags & some Simple Green and clean the area where it is wet, drive the car a few minutes then look at the area you cleaned. The source of the leak may be easy to see this way and you don't have to be a mechanic. Once you know where the leak is take it to a real mechanic & tell him what needs fixing.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

OMG def time for a new mechanic. Dealerships fired all the good mechanics and cut labor times in the early 90s. Now all you have is young guys that cant do anything a can tool cant find for them. guess what cant be found with a scan tool..that's right and oil leak.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Now all you have is young guys that cant do anything a can tool cant find for them. guess what cant be found with a scan tool..that's right and oil leak.
SO TRUE!

Noone thats really good will work for the kiddie wages they pay "mechanics" these days. They either got their own shop or moved on to something else.

Majority of mechanics these days just throw parts at these EFI cars and guess, hoping they will get it right the first time-at YOUR expense. Heck we can do that for free. lol

He did not properly diagnose or fix the problem GO get your money back.
Dont listen to it needed all these things..if he really knew he would have fixed the offending leak.

Call Bureau of Automotive Repair, BBB etc. Take a stand or get walked all over sucks but thats the way it is these days.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Finding and fixing an engine oil leak on a SBC is not Rocket Science. Sealing The "china wall" has been a major problem since 1955. I've had great results with "The RIGHT STUFF" it will seal your china wall and make it leak free with minimal prep.

The valve covers, engine oil sensors, front/rear main seals, distributor gasket, and oil filter adaptor are other known "leakers"

Have you considered that your vette is not leaking, but that it's MARKING ITS SPOT?

As for spending 3k on sealing an engine leak.... ****,thats ported heads/intake money ... or Stall and tranny upgrade money... or if you're a Federal Agent Columbian Hooker money. In any case I hope you recieved a kiss afterwards because you just had sex......
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Take it to someone with a smoke machine, easiest and fastest way to find a leak.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
daddog
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

hey captain, I had a leak problem too. I rounded up the usual suspects but the real big offender was the o-ring that seals the oil cooler to the block ABOVE the oil filter. I hear it is often overlooked and hard to spot as the culprit. good luck with your quest, I know how you feel! dd

Get notified of new replies

To can't stop oil leak on my C4

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
boptop
5th Gear

Default New member, new leak.

I just discovered oil leaking on my 1996 LT1. Took it to mechanic and they couldn't determine where it's coming from. Most of the oil and residue is in front of and above the oil pan. Their best guess is the intake manifold. No oil appears to be leaking from the valve covers and can't see any leaks from above, only from underneath. The oil pan is not leaking. My plan is to clean off the oil and use dye to determine the source of the leak and consider fixing myself. I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Speedjester
Racer

Dye works great.. Just make sure you clean everything real good add the dye.. And check it repeatedly to catch the leak quick.. Otherwise the dye gets everywhere and you need to start all over...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daddog
hey captain, I had a leak problem too. I rounded up the usual suspects but the real big offender was the o-ring that seals the oil cooler to the block ABOVE the oil filter. I hear it is often overlooked and hard to spot as the culprit. good luck with your quest, I know how you feel! dd
I found one of my lines to the oil cooler leaking after thinking it was the valve covers or sender. It was an easy fix and cost next to nothing.

Quick Reply: can't stop oil leak on my C4