Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ScottMA64
With all the info available on the dash, I wish they added a/t temp read outs.
This was introduced on the '96 models. All 96's have the a/t temp read outs.

Originally Posted by Leftoverture
What don't I like? Well...that I don't have two of them, I suppose.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Axial
You know, I drove a 1987 L98 with the 4+3 and it was a much more forceful ride than my '96 LT-4. The low-end torque in the L98 is pretty amazing. Your top-speed may be more limited, but it's not like you will be getting near that anywhere but the track.

I'd even go so far as to say that I'd almost rather have the '87, but I needed airbags and newness to help the insurance rates and reduce probable maintenance woes. Also the seats in my 96 are more comfortable...
I've a close friend with a LT4 and I have a '86 L98 with the 4+3. He said nearly the same thing. 'course he's probably the only man alive that said he preferred the 4+3 to his 6 speed...

As far as myself- wish the interior held up better and my particular example would stop nickle and diming me to death. But, it's an antique and to be expected.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
This was introduced on the '96 models. All 96's have the a/t temp read outs.
The 95 had them as well.

Last edited by JeffnSharyn; 09-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Only 3 things really:

1) 3rd taillight placement on the 86-91 models
2) power antenna (I hate power antennas)
3) 2.59 gears (I understand why the did it, but I still don't like it!)
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by five-oh
I've a close friend with a LT4 and I have a '86 L98 with the 4+3. He said nearly the same thing. 'course he's probably the only man alive that said he preferred the 4+3 to his 6 speed...

As far as myself- wish the interior held up better and my particular example would stop nickle and diming me to death. But, it's an antique and to be expected.
The 4+3 has an advantage over the ZF6 in low-speed cruising. You can't cruise at 40 mph with the ZF6, but the 4+3 can do it with the push of a button into overdrive mode. If the 4+3 had more travel to it on the horizontal axis and didn't default the overdrive to "ON" every time I start the car, I might actually consider it a more desirable option for urban/suburban driving. As is, though, I'll keep my ZF-6; the 4+3 is impressive at first but the implementation grates after awhile.

And for the thread, here's another strike against the C4:
-those flimsy vanity mirrors.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Scream And Fly
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

My only gripe is the lack of a quick-release top. I actually like the door sills (crazy me) and everything else about the C4. Some people I know have a very hard time believing that the C4 is absolutely my favorite Corvette generation. I love the seats too. The very first time I sat in a C4, it really felt like an exotic car to me (hey, I was a little kid) the way you sat "into" it and those bolstered seats. I love 'em. That long hood and the way the engine bay looked is just very cool to me too.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

While it may be difficult to find aftermarket parts, thanks to this Forum and Craigslist, I have been able to find a number of parts that I don't really need, but would be great to have. As a result, the car is nickel-and-diming me to death.

Also, wish there was an affordable, user-friendly substitute for the Tech1.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The opti-spark, flip-up headlights, and the fact she's getting old. Even with those minor flaws, I absolutely LOVE my '96.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Targa top is a PITA. Messing with the bolts is bad enough, but God forbid if the cars not level and it can take an eternity to get that last bolt to screw in. My 6sp shifter knocks over my drinks. Love the clamshell hood but hate lifting it. Cheap interior plastics.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old age and miles. Not sure if I mean the car or the driver.

Being short my problem is trying to get the top on/off. Much easier on the 72.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
xsalvioutlawx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like how difficult it is to access and replace items like the Brake Booster and the Heater Core.

I don't like where the optispark is located right under the water pump. If the water pump goes, you basically have to replace the optispark.

I don't like how some parts are incredibly expensive even if you do it yourself. You would think some of these parts would be readily available when needed seeing as how many C4's were made.

I absolutely hate the cup holder location. If you manage to spill even the slightest bit of beverage it will get all over the power seat controls. I had to find that out the hard way.

The Corvette tax......It's something that's almost unavoidable at one time or another, but it just sucks how much certain things cost knowing that the value of the car is only worth how much it means to you.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

The only real major complaint I have about the C4, atleast the LT engine C4's, is the factory oil leaks

I find the optispark, waterpump, and the entire front of the engine relatively easy to work on for it being a compact sports car. Tap the weephole of the water pump and run a line so when it goes it won't take the optispark with it. Thank goodness it has a clamshell hood, I couldn't imagine trying to do front engine work on a c3/c5/c6.

I love the flip up headlights, the interior doesn't bother me one bit, in fact, I think it is pretty good considering it is from the early 90s. People that know nothing about Corvettes get in and can't believe the LCD speedo and gauge cluster is 1994 technology.

The targa top doesn't seem to hard to remove atleast to me. And I remove mine 2-3 times per week. I know its not as easy as a C5 or C6, but atleast I know I can bolt it down snug and not worry about it flying off like some of the c5-c6 guys do.

What I don't like, is the Transmission C-Beam, and limited parts for us 6 speed guys. Seems like everything is being made in China these days which makes me a little more hesitant to take it on long drives. I love the stoutness, and smoothness of the ZF6, but sometimes I think a T56 would have been more suitable. Also, on the LT engines, there are too many places for oil leaks as compared to gen 1 and gen 3+ SBC's. Right now I have it leak free, but I know it won't last for long.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Sworn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

In my humble opinion:

1.) I really wish that removable roof would have used a latch system not 4 screws.
2.) The door sills.
3.) Even though mine is still original, the opti. (Really, who thought it was a GOOD idea to put a water pump on top of it!)

For the most part, I really love my C4.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Durissus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
it's attracting some less than optimum specimens of humanity, such as hippies, who can now afford to drive them.
Some us of old hippies owned vettes in the day...did other things, and now came back to our first loves, which are now C4s...(because we can't afford those danged C3s from the late '60s) and these are the next best thing!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffnSharyn

5. I wish the LT1 Automatics came with a minimum of a 3.07 rear as standard equipment instead of the 2.59 airplane gears.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

1.) I sooooo dislike the cupholders that were obviously designed for the 12oz cans of the 1970's!!!

B.) I don't care for the location of the opti, but I do like the fact that it's plug and play. When you change it you don't have to mess with timing.

Third. )I know my car is old ( it's a 95 vert) but you can tell the build quality wasn't what it should have been, when I repaired my dash and removed it, there was a piece of 3/8 fuel line wedged between the dash and the dash frame tubing for what I can only assume was an anti-rattle device. I forgot to reinstall it and have had a flipping rattle at idle in gear ever since.

But the top drops in 45 seconds ,on a beautiful day, that makes all the woes a distant thought!!!
I love my Corvette
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Rastan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for me, I want to smack the guy that put the water pump on top of the opti. I would prefer a 3 or 4 spoke steering wheel, flush brake lights to keep dirt from accumulating, I would like to be able to get to the antenna from inside the car, the last thing is having to dismantle the left front of the car to get to the battery.

Last edited by Rastan; 09-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you dislike about the C4?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 AM
2rgeir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scream And Fly
My only gripe is the lack of a quick-release top. I actually like the door sills (crazy me) and everything else about the C4. Some people I know have a very hard time believing that the C4 is absolutely my favorite Corvette generation. I love the seats too. The very first time I sat in a C4, it really felt like an exotic car to me (hey, I was a little kid) the way you sat "into" it and those bolstered seats. I love 'em. That long hood and the way the engine bay looked is just very cool to me too.
I am totally with you on this. I actually like the high door sills as time have passed... Makes me feel like there is a little tad of safety involved, I guess....
Amazed by how comfortable the seats are on long hauls. Mind you, I only have the standard ones, not the sport option...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Narrow footwells don't work well for duck feet like me. Wife is tall, loves the car but doesn't stretch out well in it.
Brake pedal sinks when I get into the ABS and then my fat foot is on the gas and brake at the same time!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
nathanours
Racer

Originally Posted by Klondike
Narrow footwells don't work well for duck feet like me. Wife is tall, loves the car but doesn't stretch out well in it.
Brake pedal sinks when I get into the ABS and then my fat foot is on the gas and brake at the same time!
I've noticed that when I'm driving the car with my dress shoes which are a lot wider than my normal shoes that that can happen.

As for those who prefer the 3.07, I kind of like the 2.59 in my car since I am always highway driving. I like the higher speed power and use it more than I would with the bigger gears.

Quick Reply: What do you dislike about the C4?