window motor

Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default window motor

some time ago the window on my 90 vert stopped working, I did what you guys said and had the wife slam the door, It worked great until now so I guess I should just change out the motor. I found a AC Delco online for 37.00 what do you think?
Now the other thing is my friend that is a glass man said that it may sound stupid but he has taken motors out and bumped the switch then reinstall the motor back and it worked fine. He seems to think that a motor sets in the same spot up or down for years and by changing the spot it refreshes it. We did that on my sons ford ranger about 6 months ago and its still going. At the same time we put a new motor in from auto zone on the drivers side and that had to be replaced last week. The one we bumped is still going strong.
OK guys tell me if that sounds nuts.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of the bump, and it seemed to work for about a month on one of the switches in another car, but when it stopped working again I swapped it out and no more problems.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The C4's had the wireing a bit tight (no slack) causing it to pull the elictrical connetor plug on an angle, that in turn makes a bad contact that a lot of us have experienced. Slamming the door is what will make it work for a while. While it may be the motor (unlikely as cars from the 70's that have fast glass (electric windows) are still going strong and have the original window regulator motors.

I ended up drilling a couple of small holes on the removable aluminum panel, cable tied the wire so there is no tugging from the loom on the connector. That was a few years ago and has been fine ever since.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered the 2 replacement window regulators for my '86. when they come in and I change them out I will have 2 extra window motors.

John
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Took the door apart, everything looked good. wires plugs ect. napa has a new motor in stock for 47.00 with a lifetime warr. As I was taking it apart I went and took the motor apart. knowing that napa had a new one. After taking it apart the inside didnt look bad so I remembered what we did in the old days for starters.clean the groves on the armature and true it up. sand the brushes a little and then try to come up with a way to hold the brushes back to put it back together. Long story short it took me 6 hours but the window works like new its fast and quiet. I did it all with out taking the motor out.

Get notified of new replies

To window motor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: window motor