Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Passanger window regulator or ribbon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Jerrdog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passanger window regulator or ribbon?

Hello on have my door panel off on my 1986 vette,how do I get to window regulator and ribbon? How do I replace ribbon or regulator....I need a step by step instructions.
Thank you
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If it is an early 86 with the ribbon,replace it with the later style of regulator.You need to remove the inner panel,window and the regulator.If you are replacing with a new regulator make a note on the wear marks on the old regulator and get the new part back in place as close to the original as possible.You will see witness marks on the hook type jobbers that you remove to get everything out,put these back in place by lining up the washers back in the witness marks.You will need to drill a hole,maybe 2 form the later style regulator,the instructions are with the new reg.Check with Corvette Recyclers in Utah for the best price on the part,your welcome.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I found all the holes for the scissors regulator pre-existing when the ribbon type was replaced. Just needed an extra bolt IIRC.

Adjusting the window was a snap.
I ran the window to the top and marked the location with grease pencil and tape.
After removing and replacing the regulator, kept the glass bolts snug enough to shift the glass before tightening.
Run the regulator to the top and shift the glass for a good seal.
Compare to marks and tape references.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I used a Sharpie to draw a circle around each fastener before I loosened them, it helps get things back the way they came. I've heard some cars do have the hole already there for the extra bolt in the bottom of the door but on my '85 I had to drill that hole, no big deal just measure the distance from hole to hole on the regulator then use that measurement to drill the new hole in the door. If you don't already have the scissors style regulator you will thank yourself for converting to them.
One last caution, when you are tightening up the fasteners that hold the glass in position DO NOT tighten them down tight! If you really tighten them you will witness a glass explosion that will scare he!! out of you,,,,, I know.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The ribbon is easy enough to replace, however the early early ribbon regulators are so slow.

I upgraded to the later scissor type and have never looked back
They are so fast as for the ribbon type ones they went straight in the trash !!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 206 Posts

I have disassembled my doors and lubed the tracks, guides, and ribbons. They are not lightning fast, but they work well enough and are fast enough. Beats tearing the door apart to put in the new type, as far as I am concerned. I'd only switch if the mechanism were totally trashed. $18 for a ribbon replacement, $250 for a new style regulator. I guess you can get boneyard pieces, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Passanger window regulator or ribbon?

Quick Reply: Passanger window regulator or ribbon?