C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spare tire carrier bolt: this doesn't seem right

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
rubenyc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire carrier bolt: this doesn't seem right

I took down the spare on my '88 for the first time since I got the car, just to check its condition and put some air in it. Now I've put it back in the carrier, but I'm not sure if I worked the bolt right.

I've never seen anyone else's C4 spare tire carrier up close so I'm working off of what I saw on mine before, and I have been looking to read up on it here. I don't think anyone has discussed this before - probably because it's really simple and I'm just doing something wrong.

So I tried to get the whole assembly back up from its 'down'/full-size tire position by pushing the black bolt up, twisting it a quarter of a turn and trying to hook its T-shaped end into something. Only it wouldn't go up enough to reach anything (except the edge of the bumper - I know that's not it). The only way I could get the carrier to stay up was to use some slip-joint pliers to twist the entire bolt in a way that the metal plate welded onto it would get stuck. This is how it's mounted now - see the pics below.

I've been driving around like this for a bit and it seems to be fine and solid, but it still worries me a bit when I hit bumps, knowing that it's not right. Can any of you guys tell me how this thing is supposed to work and what I did wrong here? Thanks :-)

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Push the bolt all the way up to the top and it rests in the channel (on your first picture)

Like this
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by rubenyc
So I tried to get the whole assembly back up from its 'down'/full-size tire position by pushing the black bolt up, twisting it a quarter of a turn and trying to hook its T-shaped end into something. Only it wouldn't go up enough to reach anything (except the edge of the bumper - I know that's not it).
If you haven't noticed, that bolt is threaded, so you might have to turn it some (to make it longer).
That way you can get the t-shaped end up high enough to lay in the channel (like the pic I posted above).
Once that is done, you just tighten the bolt up.
As it tightens it will pull the tire and carrier up tight.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
rubenyc
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
If you haven't noticed, that bolt is threaded, so you might have to turn it some (to make it longer).
That way you can get the t-shaped end up high enough to lay in the channel (like the pic I posted above).
Once that is done, you just tighten the bolt up.
As it tightens it will pull the tire and carrier up tight.
Oh man... Thanks. I guess the guy who had the car before me put it on wrong. Still, that was pretty stupid of me not to notice.

Of course, now I undid that rusty thing and, despite putting plenty of grease on it, stripped it... And the search for a part begins ;-)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Had the same problem on my 87. When I got it 5 years ago, I don't think the spare had ever been down on that car. I spent hours trying to undo that bolt and ended up stripping it. Bought a used one off of Ebay, greased the crap out of it, used some anti-sieze and once a year, on a nice spring day I undo that bolt, re-grease it and reinstall. I can just imagine trying to get that spare off in the dead of winter in a blinding snow storm. By the way, did you notice the "cute" little light under there that GM put on to help you see in the dark
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
rubenyc
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Steve59
Had the same problem on my 87. When I got it 5 years ago, I don't think the spare had ever been down on that car. I spent hours trying to undo that bolt and ended up stripping it. Bought a used one off of Ebay, greased the crap out of it, used some anti-sieze and once a year, on a nice spring day I undo that bolt, re-grease it and reinstall. I can just imagine trying to get that spare off in the dead of winter in a blinding snow storm. By the way, did you notice the "cute" little light under there that GM put on to help you see in the dark
That's probably what I'll end up doing, though I'm trying to find one locally first. Whatever the case, I'll definitely maintain it well.

I did notice the light under the bumper but I'm wondering how it's supposed to work. Does it come on when you open the rear hatch? If so mine is broken ;-)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Mine stripped last time I took it out. Just did. I had a long Eye bolt hanging on the wall, from Lowes I think, painted it black and used it. I carry a screwdriver and it will unscrew it if needed. It fit and it was free. Free is good.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by rubenyc
That's probably what I'll end up doing, though I'm trying to find one locally first. Whatever the case, I'll definitely maintain it well.

I did notice the light under the bumper but I'm wondering how it's supposed to work. Does it come on when you open the rear hatch? If so mine is broken ;-)
No. I believe it's on whenever the headlights are on. At night, turn on the headlights and go back to the rear, you should see a glow of light coming from under the bumper.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
I can just imagine trying to get that spare off in the dead of winter in a blinding snow storm.
Driving a C4 in a blinding snowstorm??

You have HUGE huevos!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by rocco16
Driving a C4 in a blinding snowstorm??

You have HUGE huevos!!!!!!
Huevos = eggs. Are you assuming the OP is a chick or did you mean cojones (*****)?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Steve59
Drifting

What? I am shocked that you don't drive all year around. What's a snow storm to a C-4?.......

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire carrier bolt: this doesn't seem right

Quick Reply: Spare tire carrier bolt: this doesn't seem right