C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

considering a change, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default considering a change, looking for opinions

hows it going guys. little background for me, im a die hard chevy fan, when i turned 16 i bought an 84 z28 that was previously in some accidents. spent a few months fixing her up before i got my license. once it was done i decided i wanted a vette and started saving. when i was 18 i sold the camaro and bought my 94 6 speed convert. absolutely loved the car and have spent the past 3 and a half years repairing and upgrading the car. almost a year ago i joined the Marines and the car is now on base with me. well the past few months iv been considering selling the vette and going back to a third gen. the military pay isnt all that great and parts for the vette are expensive. i love the car dearly but i really love working on cars and everytime i wanna do something to the vette my bank account takes a mean hit and i end up getting frustrated because something always goes wrong. reasons for wanting to go to a camaro are, cheaper parts, cheaper in general, no emissions, easier to work on, and id really like to get into drag racing but im afraid to do it in the vette because the first time i break something its gonna kill me paying to fix it. if i sold the vette for say 10k, i could get a camaro for 3-4k and have plenty of money leftover to get started drag racing. besides, i feel the camaro is a better car to race in being as it has the solid axle rather then the irs, plus my suspension has been set up real stiff and id have to change all that to go drag racing. its a real tough decision, so im looking for some opinions, thanks! heres pics of the current vette

engagement picture
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jarhead? You have done a SUPER job on that vette. The second you sell it to go to a Camaro you'll be kicking yourself. KEEP IT. Cruise it with the top down and forget about drag racing......btw i can use the term Jarhead....i spent 4 years in the suck myself.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep it. You'll be glad you did. And you're seriously overchicked too.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Interesting way to polish the car.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
engagement picture
Babies next? Camaro isn't a bad idea!

I've had both, and I feel that both were just as FUN. If I were doing it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd have kept my '86 Camaro. I love my 'Vette, but I loved my Camaro just as much, and it cost me a lot of money to learn that. It's a personal thing that can't be answered for you on a forum.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have done both the third gen F body and C4. Honestly there's not that much difference in day to day maintenance costs between the two. If you sell a well sorted C4 (your's is really nice BTW) for 10k and then spend less on an unknown to you F-body you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

The only way this makes sense - regarding your desire to drag race - is if you have another reliable dd car/truck and you use a good portion of the vette proceeds to buy someone elses f-body already set up for the 1320. If you shop long enough you will find cars for which the sum of their parts is worth more than what you can buy them for. This should be your target...basically a turn key street/strip car. If I was going to that route I wouldn't rule out a fox body too but I'm "diverse" in my car love.

Get notified of new replies

To considering a change, looking for opinions

Quick Reply: considering a change, looking for opinions