C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Also, the SLP PowerFlow system with the big, polished aluminum tip LOOKS awesome, but it was a severe torque loss in the low and mid range, resulting in a significant mileage loss with no power increase at the top end over the Flowmasters and significant drone inside the car which the Flowmasters didn't have.

It did sound quite bitchin' outside if you're into impressing the ricer boyz.......

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey mcm95403 thanks for the posts lots of fantastic info here

Glad this thread was good for something

what do you currently own for 'vettes?

I'm considering a C5 but, never really loved the looks or interior quality. They also seem to be plagued with quite a few "oh yeah, and this...." issues. Nothing (seems) *too* major but many little things will also send you to the poor house just as easily as one or two major ones.

I currently own a beautiful 1993 LT1 'vert which has been dead reliable over 5 years but I rarely drive it anymore. Since moving to Las Vegas from New England it's much easier to justify spending more on a 'vette and moving up in generations for both reliability and comfort.

Should I skip the C5 and go C6 or, do the '01+ cars make for a good reliable drivers?

I commute 60 miles a day all interstate.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
UH OH....! Don't let RedLS1GTO see that you said that! He'll rip you a new one...then tell you that you're a "Waste of bandwidth". That seems to be his way of "contributing" to the C4 forums.

I agree with most of the posts above. Both 'Vettes, both sweet cars...both have different character, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

BTW OP; both cars have similar (in philosophy) "full frames". A "full frame" wasn't a new concept for the C5.
today.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VtVette
Hey mcm95403 thanks for the posts lots of fantastic info here

Glad this thread was good for something

what do you currently own for 'vettes?

I'm considering a C5 but, never really loved the looks or interior quality. They also seem to be plagued with quite a few "oh yeah, and this...." issues. Nothing (seems) *too* major but many little things will also send you to the poor house just as easily as one or two major ones.

I currently own a beautiful 1993 LT1 'vert which has been dead reliable over 5 years but I rarely drive it anymore. Since moving to Las Vegas from New England it's much easier to justify spending more on a 'vette and moving up in generations for both reliability and comfort.

Should I skip the C5 and go C6 or, do the '01+ cars make for a good reliable drivers?

I commute 60 miles a day all interstate.

Thanks!
Hi Brian,
As always, I'm happy to help
My current Vette is the 91 with the engine I rebuilt last year and the other mods listed in my signature.

The C5's also have problems with poor fit/quality of the rear bumper and sometimes the front one too - not that C4's don't but I'm surprised how many I see with poorly fit bumpers.

For fuel economy, the slight bit that you'd pick up going to a C5 over an LT-1 wouldn't seem to be worth the cost of the increased maintenance costs - at least not to me - especially if the looks and interior don't do much for you. Personally, the Nassau Blue Metallic was the only color that I liked that body in. Most of it is too "soft" looking for me - I like the sharper lines of the C4 and C6. I did look at getting a 2005 but they were a little out of my price range. I'm betting that they're better but don't have enough personal experience to say either way - I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the C6 section that could assist though.

I think the '01 to '04's had a lot of "fixes" in place by then, but some of the other things like electronics were never fixed in any years.

Me, I'd just get that Vert out and put some miles on it
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

of course C5's are superior. they are a completely different car - a significant leap in technology. i've had two C5's - a 2000 coupe, and a 2004 Z06. both were super! the Y2K coupe was a great touring car, and i took it on several long distance treks with it. it was great - plenty of room, and great gas mileage. the Z06 was wicked fast - a very stiff platform a super handling car. both cars were superior to any of my C4's, but for some reason, i keep coming back to the C4. go figure...

right now, i'm on the hunt for another (C4). sights are set on a 90 (white/red) vert. pickin's are slim, so i've expanded my search a bit. if the right C5 came along i may switch - something like a 50th anniversary coupe, but i'm not going out of my way to find one either.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
The balancers on the LS's .......The outer ring separates and either goes forward taking out your steering rack or backwards into your timing cover.........

On mine with the 25% pulley, LS-6 intake, shorty headers, x-pipe and Flowmasters it made 340 hp and 345 ft/lbs at the rear wheels - and that was just bolt-ons with the TINY stock cam. That combo would also get 36-37 mpg @ 65 and around 40 mpg @ 55 with the 6-speed
My balancer on my '99 FRC failed at 30k miles. It separated and there was a wobble and the "chirping" belt. I replaced it, but it was a pain pulling the steering rack.

My '99 Targa 6 speed has a similar setup with long tube headers, x-pipe, B&B catback, Fast intake, Vararam, a tune, and the stock TINY cam. I get great mileage too and it runs 12's.

Originally Posted by Joe C
..... but for some reason, i keep coming back to the C4. go figure...

right now, i'm on the hunt for another (C4)........
I keep coming back to the C4's too. I have kept my '85 for a long time. There is something about the "feel" of the car that I love. Although it is not as fast as the C5's, I get enjoyment from the quicker steering and more of a "raw" feel.

I am on the hunt for another one too. I want an admiral blue, black interior, 6 speed. Maybe I will move from my '85 to a '94 or '95, who knows?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM
John.87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am toying with the idea of getting a C5 Z06 in the future(very far away future) but still love my 88 C4 auto.

However my 88 C4 isn't going to be my forever Vette. One day I want to sell it to find an 89 6SPD.

Price is a big factor in any of these choices because I had a hard enough time dropping 8k on my 88.

25-30k for a C5 Z06 is going to take me YEARS to save up for. And I am going to buy it right, with the PO having already "fixed" the "issues" with them, and S/C'd.

However I still want an 89 6SPD. I have this unnatural attraction to the SBC and the interior
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

True story: I once worked with a guy who was about my age (50's) who had a beautiful, young, brunette fiance. He told me that he'd traded his wife in for a newer model and that he couldn't imagine how things could get any better. Turned out that she was a bit psycho. He not only had to leave the company, he had to move to another state to get away from her.

I hope you enjoy the C5, but make sure you know exactly what you are getting into before you make that leap.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by csthews
...a beautiful, young, brunette....Turned out that she was a bit psycho.
I think that i dated that same girl. Bishop's daughter. Took two restraining orders to get rid of her.

Originally Posted by csthews
I hope you enjoy the C5, but make sure you know exactly what you are getting into before you make that leap.
X2...big time.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

mod your c4 to meet/beat c5 performance.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
I agree Im keeping my 1985 but will be playing alot more with my full frame lighter higher horsepower better handling newer model
uhhh when I looked up curb weight for 1985 and then curb weight for 1997 corvette they were identical.

So I wouldnt expect increased performance from lighter weight.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Nor from trans placement. The movement of the transmission rearward only offset the movement of the gas tank, forward. The C4 has about the same weight and weight distribution as the C5^
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason for the move to a C5 is the Full Frame that the C4 lacks and even though I love the Sexy Styling of the C4 over the C5 the advantages are clear and being in at about the same weight the C5 will and is a better overall package.
Remember I pretty much only run my Vette on Sunday morning at the track on a road course
The 85 C4 was bought because of the total domination of the 1984/85 & 86 Showroom Stock Class that it Dominated and Emarrassed Everyother car in that class to the point that they turned into CRY BABIES and told SCCA That if they dont remove the Corvette that was Kicking their but from the Class they would all leave because they just couldnt keep up with those cars and they could not beat them.
I Still love the Sexy shape and Cockpit style Interior and stiff *** suspension with its Quickest ever St ratio and its SCCA Showroom Stock Class Reputation thats unmatched to this day and will be keeping her with plans of a cage and a stroker motor
but I feel soo much more comfortable as a total mind set pushing the C5 then I do in the C4 and as a result of that Im much faster around the same road course. So its better for me, right now
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

keep in mind the c4 has much better support for your legs when you're driving. the c5 isn't bad at first on long trips but then after a while when you can trust your right leg on anything it just very tiring unlike the c4.and I don't know what you mean about the c5 having your real frame I'm like a c4 because they both have full frames from the back
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leave

No one likes long goodbyes.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gone with the C4 is the Wet Noodle Frame Reputation and a C5Convertable or removal of the Targa top on a C5 is a Frame/Structure problem.
They are built right kinda like the C4 Should of been

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]

Get notified of new replies

To Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5

Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ok, so you've convinced yourself to get what you want now stop, and go get what you want. Leave the C4 forum in peace as we realy don't give a #@%&* what you drive or why. Most of us are well aware of the differences that technology has gained over the years.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 05-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Gone with the C4 is the Wet Noodle Frame Reputation and a C5Convertable or removal of the Targa top on a C5 is a Frame/Structure problem.
They are built right kinda like the C4 Should of been

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]
The C4 has a FULL frame. The major differences are the updated engineering and hydro-forming of the C5 frame. Also, the C4 was never designed to be a Targa Top car. It was designed to be a T-top which adds additional bracing to the structure with the T-top backbone between the windshield and the rear hoop. An exec at GM decided, at the 11th hour, that the Targa Top was more exotic looking and wanted it incorporated in the design, much to the protest of GM's chassis engineers.

Also, I sincerely hope that English is your 2nd language.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

That was real Dumb. The Targa Weakens the Whole car and thanxs for the Insult ur an ***. I learned Greek first then English. Thanxs for letting me know QUICK ABOUT HOW PEOPLE R HERE.
Calm down. C4's and C5's are both awesome.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5