Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Double Bass / String Bass in a C4 Corvette

Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
bradleyj
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Bass / String Bass in a C4 Corvette

This will probably only effect .042% of readers out there, but I just wanted to make it known to the corvette / bass player world that a bass WILL fit in a Corvette!!! Of course, that depends on the size shape of your bass...

My bass is a flatback bass:
Height: about 5'10" (peg down)
Back of bass to bridge: 20-21" positioned @ 18" from endpin
Lower bout: 27"

The main concern is if the bridge will fit. As you can see from the pictures, you might be able to squeeze 2-3 extra inches from the bridge but idk, that's pushing it. For me, I need to flip the bass upside down to maneuver it through the trunk into the front and then flip it onto it's back. I can't remember the exact model of my bass but its something like a Shar Concert flatback (whatever the upper-line was). My main point in this thread: if you're a bass player DON'T WRITE-OFF A VETTE! Find a C4 and test your bass in it, could work!

keywords: (basses have lots of names) String Bass, Double Bass, Upright Bass, Contrabass,
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Hey, we have a Bass Players/Corvette club here in Florida. You should join.......

Seriously, that is one shiny Corvette. Sweet.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

No pics but I carried 12' baseboard in my 87. Had the hatch vent in place and let the baseboard stick out about 4' behind the window. I am not telling about some of the stuff Ive carried in Vettes.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
ucfsaxman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha nice and I thought it was a tight fit when I carried my saxes, PA, stand and laptop in the passenger seat for my gigs.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

haha, well the best part of the post is the pics. a job well done. hardest part of loading and unloading has to be taking care not to scratch the rear bumper and upper quarter panels.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You can go camping for two weeks in one too. Just have to plan to do laundry at least once, and you have to be able to throw everything out that you have in the cooler as you have to use that for storage. Made for quite the sight at the camp grounds. People couldn't believe all our stuff came out of the vette. Hmm, I wonder where those photos went....
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
bradleyj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BB 2005
Hey, we have a Bass Players/Corvette club here in Florida. You should join.......

Seriously, that is one shiny Corvette. Sweet.
I'm shocked! I searched high and low on information as to if a bass would fit and couldn't find anything anywhere! I wonder if the C4 is the only generation that would fit it... It has that nice long, connected hatchback design.

And thanks! This was like a day after I spent hours waxing it with The Black Box from Turtle Wax. It did a great job, the wax is all tinted deep black. Even now, my fingernails are still a little black around the edges, but hey, it worked This thing though attracts dust / pollen like a magnet!!! Still love the black though
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im glad you included pictures i thought you had caught a giant big mouth bass!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
RIPS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a kick out of your post, Bradley. I bought a C4 last winter, ostensibly for my 17 y.o. daughter, but probably more for me. Her only comment was, "My cello has to fit in it"! It did, and a whole lot easier than that bass of yours. We were able to put the neck of the hard case on the center console between us and still have room for a passenger. I can't wait to show her what you accomplished!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 AM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Nice! I daily drive my Corvette and I am able to stuff my Gibson Explorer in the hard case into the back.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM
bradleyj
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RIPS
I got a kick out of your post, Bradley. I bought a C4 last winter, ostensibly for my 17 y.o. daughter, but probably more for me. Her only comment was, "My cello has to fit in it"! It did, and a whole lot easier than that bass of yours. We were able to put the neck of the hard case on the center console between us and still have room for a passenger. I can't wait to show her what you accomplished!
Your daughter is a lucky girl! And yes, I always get a little jealous of the convenience of transporting every other instrument. Except harp, harpists remind me that transporting an instrument could be much worse haha! But yep, somehow made it fit. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Oh yeah, that Gibson explorer must fit pretty easily. All my guitars fit great in this thing!

Get notified of new replies

To Double Bass / String Bass in a C4 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double Bass / String Bass in a C4 Corvette