C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

87 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:40 PM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Corvette

I have a 87 Corvette Conv. After it sits in the garage for awhile it won't start and the battery symbol and service engine lite comes on the screen. It has a new battery. When it starts it runs like new. What could be the problem the engine turns over fast and all the lights are bright.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimc07
After it sits in the garage for awhile it won't start .
Define " won't start"
No crank , no fire , fires up but stalls .........................?

service engine lite comes on.
That is telling you the computer has seen a problem with the engine.
You are supposed to pull the engine codes to see what the computer is trying to tell you what is wrong
See
http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

What voltage does the display read when this happens?

Sounds like you have a parasitic drain. Likely suspects are the interior lights, antenna motor and power seat. Check your interior lights a couple of minutes after you shut the door to make sure the lights are not on. Sometimes the seat motor will not turn off if you put the seat all the way back, as some people like to do to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Aftermarket radios can also drain the battery if they are not connected properly.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Also what do you consider a while? My 88 is usually hooked up to a trickle charger.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Default 87 Corvette Conv.

It usually sits for at least a week before it is started. The battery shows a full charge. The engine cranks over normally. I will have to get someone to check the code for the reason the battery icon shows up on the display screen and service engine soon. It was tuned up a few weeks ago with new wires, cap, rotor, and plugs. It won't jump start from another battery, which makes me think of a fuel problem but the battery icon has me puzzled.
Thanks for the response. The person I purchased the car from spent $15000 restoring this car to perfection. I love the car but this is so troublesome. This has done this a couple of times but then would start for some unknown reason and the lights would go out. When the lights are on the engine cranks as normal but won't start.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

If the engine is turning over but not starting the battery light is most likely coming on because you are getting into an extended crank situation which is draining the battery enough to turn that light on.

Gary
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

It usually sits for at least a week before it is started. The battery shows a full charge. The engine cranks over normally. I will have to get someone to check the code for the reason the battery icon shows up on the display screen and service engine soon. It was tuned up a few weeks ago with new wires, cap, rotor, and plugs. It won't jump start from another battery, which makes me think of a fuel problem but the battery icon has me puzzled.
Thanks for the response. The person I purchased the car from spent $15000 restoring this car to perfection. I love the car but this is so troublesome. This has done this a couple of times but then would start for some unknown reason and the lights would go out. When the lights are on the engine cranks as normal but won't start.
how do you get it going?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Default 87 Corvette won't start

The battery icon comes on when you turn the key on even before trying to start the car. It starts after trying for a few days and you can
't figure it out. When it starts the lights go out and the car runs fantastic. It does try to start one time then the engine just turns over and won't start. It acts like it isn't getting fuel.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The battery icon will display when you turn the ignition to the ON position without starting the engine. The SES light will also illuminate. Once the engine starts, both these lights should turn off. With these lights off and the engine running, there should be no codes unless there are stored (history) codes.

Also, what is the voltage as measured at the battery terminals with the ignition switch off and then on?

When you first turn the ignition ON without trying to start the engine, do you hear a buzzing noise for a couple seconds? This is the fuel pump initially pressurizing the system. You need to check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail. You can "rent" a fuel pressure gauge at an AutoZone store. Connect a fuel pressure gauge at the fitting and then turn the ignition to ON. What is the reading? Once the engine starts, what is the pressure reading at idle?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Along with checking everything above you should also check for spark with a spark tester and injector pulse with a noid light. After you have tested all of this it will give you a good starting point on which system to suspect and diagnose it.
Also, you have VATS, I can't remember if that shuts down the injectors. I'm sure someone here does.

Gary
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Default 87 Corvette

Thanks Gary,
It does seem that the injectors are being shut down on the initial start. When it does start the lights go out and it runs like new. I don't have any of the testers to check fuel rail pressure or anything. I have arthritis and have to hire someone to do all my work. Hoping to find someone to come to my garage and figure this thing out. I used to work on the old muscle cars but they didn't have all the sensors to worry about.
Thanks again
Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well Jim, if your hoping someone will come by your garage, it would be helpful if you filled in your profile info so we had a clue as to your whereabouts.

When you first engage the ignition switch to the ON position do you hear the fuel pump start?
Do you wait for a few seconds or immediately go to start after inserting the key?
When you state it takes a few days before the car starts, how many tries in between attempts?
Any chance there is a slight hit on a few cylinders or just nothing?
Whats the indicated battery voltage on the inst panel before start?

This maybe as simple as a fuel pump relay switch that needs replacing.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Default 87 Corvette

Hey,
The battery shows full charge and the engine turns over normal but doesn't try to start at all. When I turn the key on I hear a click that may be the fuel pump but I also hear beeps from the stereo speakers. I live in Lexington, Ky. There are quite a few mobile mechanics here but they don't like to work on Vette's. I hate to have it taken on a flat bed the last time I had them do that to one of my collector cars they damaged it.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey,
The battery shows full charge and the engine turns over normal but doesn't try to start at all. When I turn the key on I hear a click that may be the fuel pump but I also hear beeps from the stereo speakers. I live in Lexington, Ky. There are quite a few mobile mechanics here but they don't like to work on Vette's. I hate to have it taken on a flat bed the last time I had them do that to one of my collector cars they damaged it.
Thanks
It never hurts to provide answers to the questions being asked and the answers do help with solving problems. For example, the starter may turn the engine over, but for how long? The battery voltage can be important; that0;s why a number should be posted other than just stating a "full charge". A fully charged battery should show about 12.6 to 12.8 volts across the battery terminals.

If the fuel pump is operating correctly, you will hear a buzzing noise for at least two seconds and not a "click". This could very well be a bad FP relay or an intermittent failure in the FP relay. Again, you need to check fuel pressure at the valve on the passenger side fuel rail. The FP relay is not very expensive and can be easily replaced at home.

The beeps you hear from the speakers are not related to a starting problem in any fashion. This could just be a bad Bose amplifier relay. Work on that one later.

Lexington KY is a decent size town and there should be any number of competent auto repair facilities that can do a diagnosis and a repair.

I would check in the Southeast Region of the Forum to see if anyone in the Lexington area can help you out. Start a thread there asking if anyone in your are can offer some help if the car continues to refuse to start. Maybe somebody with a car trailer could help get the car to a shop for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

I found an certified mechanic that will come to my home and fix the car. I will let you know the results. Thanks for all the info.
Later,
Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
SherriP61
1st Gear

This morning, as I walked up to my '92 C4, I heard a clicking noise. When I got in, it sounded like it was coming from the glove box area. When I put the key in, it would not start, but the clicking noise continued
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Does anyone know what a fuel pump assembly gasket cost. The Chevy dealer quoted me $53 for a gasket. Would it be ok to use silicone to seal the housing to the tank? That is a lot of scratch for a gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 Corvette

Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My guess would be VATS issue if the injectors are not pulsing.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Does anyone know what a fuel pump assembly gasket cost. The Chevy dealer quoted me $53 for a gasket. Would it be ok to use silicone to seal the housing to the tank? That is a lot of scratch for a gasket.
Try eBay for that gasket. When I replaced the FP in my '87, I found one there for around $10. One thing you may find when you remove the old pump is that the flange lip on the tank may be bent and there may be rust on the lip. That's what I found and I wound up wrapping shop rags around one hand and placing it just under the lip while I cleaned the rust off using 80-grit wet sandpaper.

Make sure you get a gasket with the correct number of holes for the bolts; there are different versions
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
jimc07
Heel & Toe

Thanks, I thought the dealer was way too high. I saw some on ebay I'll count the holes then order one.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 87 Corvette